• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Cooks / Foodies of the TMF

chicago

What's your favorite dish to eat / recipe to make and why? Or what's something you're looking forward to trying either tasting for the first time or attempting to prepare yourself for the first time. Basically, anything foodie / culinary related I'm down to hear about. :)

Within the last few years, I tried prime rib for the first time and that shit is like meat nirvana. I only have it once in a while, but it's probably my favorite thing. I'm reading through some recipes right now and hopefully in the next week or so I can try to make it at home.

Prime Rib

1) Get bone-in rib roast, preferable first-cut, ribs 9-12 for most flavor. Choice grade of beef (i.e. not the pricey Prime grade) is what you'll ask for.
2) Take note of how many pounds the roast is prior to cooking (bones and roast) to determine cooking time
3) Use a meat thermometer

Ingredients:
1 bone-on beef rib roast (about 7-8 pounds)
1 1/2 pounds oxtail bones
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 onions, quartered
3 carrots, cut into thirds
3 stalks celery, cut into thirds
1 whole head garlic, halved
2 tablespoons cooking oil, divided
salt and pepper
1 cup red wine
1 3/4 cups beef broth
1 3/4 cups chicken broth
3 sprigs fresh thyme

Directions:

1. Take roast from refrigerator and let stand at room temperature for 2 hours. Preheat oven to 400F, place rack on lowest position. Rub oxtails with tomato paste, place in roasting pan. Add onions, celery, carrots and garlic, toss with just 1 tablespoon of the cooking oil. Roast for 20 minutes.

2. In the meantime, cut the bone from the rib roast (try to carve as close to the bone as possible). Rub roast with remaining 1 tablespoon oil and generously season with salt and pepper. Heat large frying pan on high heat. When smoking hot, place rib roast, fat side down in pan and sear each side 5 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool for a few minutes. Place the roast right back onto the bones. Use kitchen twine or strips of cheesecloth to tie roast back onto the bones.

3. When the oxtails and vegetables are done, remove pan from oven.

4. Reduce the oven temperature to 250F.

5. Push the oxtail bones and vegetables to the sides, place roast, bone side down in roasting pan. Return pan to oven. Roast for 17-20 minutes PER POUND or until temperature of the middle of the roast is 130F (medium-rare to medium). Transfer roast to cutting board, carefully untie the bones from roast. Cover loosely with tin foil. Rest for 20 minutes.

6. While roast is resting, make the red wine jus. Keep the oxtails and vegetables in the roasting pan but pour out all but 1 teaspoon of the fat (reserve for Yorkshire Pudding if desired). Place the bones that you've untied from roast in roasting pan 2 burners set on high heat.

7. Pour in the red wine and cook until wine is reduced by half. Use a wooden spoon to scrape up the bits. Add the beef broth, chicken broth, thyme. Turn heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes. Add any juices accumulated from the rib roast on the cutting board. Turn off heat.

8. Remove the oxtails and the bones. Strain the jus with mesh strainer, pressing down with wooden spoon to extract out all the juice from the vegetables. Carve the roast, serve with the jus. Give the bones to a nice dog.

Maybe serve 'em with some little Yorkshire puddings or pate a choux?

Pate a Choux
(paht-ah-shoo)
recipe from Michael Ruhlman
To this recipe, you can make savory (add 1 teaspoon kosher/sea salt) or sweet (add 2 teaspoons sugar)

Ingredients:
1 cup water
1 stick butter (1/2 cup)
1 cup all purpose flour
1 good pinch of salt
1 cup eggs (4 large eggs)

Directions:

Preheat oven 425F.

1. In a medium pot, bring the water and butter to a simmer on medium heat. Add the flour and with a wooden spoon or spatula, stir very quickly in one direction. Carefully watch and you'll see that the flour starts absorbing the liquid -- and a dough will form. Keep stirring to continue cooking the flour and cook off some of the water, another minute or two.

2. You can do the next step one of two ways:

Transfer the paste to the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or to a bowl if you're using a hand mixer.
If you want to mix the eggs directly into the dough in the pot, let it cool slightly, 4 or 5 minutes, or cool off the pan itself by running cold water over its base if you will be mixing the eggs in that pot. You don’t want to cook the eggs too quickly.

3. Add the salt and the eggs one at a time mixing rapidly until each is combined into the paste. The paste will go from shiny to slippery to sticky as the egg is incorporated. The pâte a choux can be cooked immediately at this point or refrigerated for up to a day until ready to use.

4. Spoon the dough into a large gallon-sized plastic bag (or piping bag.) Use your hands to squeeze dough towards the bottom corner. With kitchen shears, snip off just the tippy tip of the bag, about 1/4" of the tip. Pipe onto a baking sheet into little puffs, keeping the puffs 2-inches apart. With your finger, press down the peaks (as they can burn.) Bake at 425F for 10 minutes, then 350F for 18-30 minutes, depending on the size of your puffs.

To make gougeres (cheesy poofy puffs)

Stir in 1/2 cup finely grated gruyere cheese (or other grated hard cheese of your choice) + 1 teaspoon kosher/sea salt (1/2 teaspoon fine table salt) - I used a rasp/microplane grater to get ultra-light snowflakes of cheese so as not to weigh down the dough with heavy cheese. You can also sprinkle a bit of the cheese on top of the puffs after you've piped them.

I love cooking and trying new things with recipes, although I wish I had more time to do so.

I firmly believe there should be more time alllocated to culinary adventures on the school curriculum - I am a late developer but wish I'd had the chance to try more at school.
I also firmly believe that when you eat out at a restaurant you should at least dedicate one course to trying something new.

That pate-au-choux looks interesting, I've not come across that before

I like to buy unusual meats and try them out with regular recipes, like in risottos/oriental style things - I've had crocodile, kangaroo, rabbit, pheasant, venison - teriyaki pigeon was this week's experiment. The most disappointing for me was Rabbit. Fatty and I overcooked it.

I had to cook a Venision haunch on Christmas day as my mother was sick - it took forever, but was worth it. I'm sure there's a better way but I'd rather have taken my time than rush and overcook.

Trying out some octopus next, which for me is different as I don't tend to be creative with fish - so this is a bit of challenge, you can buy Octopus whole with the head, or as detached legs - I'm thinking I'll try something with white wine/lemon/coriander.

Some of my favourite ingredients to chuck in willy-nilly are coriander, nutmeg, cumin, cinnamon, oregano, sea salt, dark chocolate!

And I'll pretty much grate cheese over anything!

I tend to mostly cook savoury/main dish sort of meals, although I've made a few desserts - my most successful was an almond and apple tart, which I baked from scratch. It was a bit treacly, but tasted fab.

Pizza from scratch is also simple and worthwhile, although mine turns out more like a cake because I can never stop the base from rising too much.

I think my weakness is I expect too much in the early process and I'm impatient, so I add stuff too much before actually in the hope it will change my pre-cook product - strange, as then once it's cooking I am not impatient at all.

I baked a red velvet scrabble board cake once too, although I didn't make my own icing, so a bit of cheating involved, I did decorate it with some marzipan and did lettering from a hand-pumped bag - cake decorating is something that interests me too, but sure as hell takes skill!

Cheers
TTG

Very cool! Ive had alligator, pheasant, pigeon, frog, snails, and elk before. Really want to try rabbit. I thought snails were a big nothing tho, honestly.

I will not claim that I have attempted to cook this at home, but it is my all-time favorite dish to order at restaurants:

Coated with a simple herb crust, rack of lamb makes a dramatic presentation, especially when cut into double chops for serving. When placing the racks in the roasting pan, set them so the bones are crossed at the top.
Ingredients:

2 racks of lamb, each with 8 ribs, Frenched (about
2 1/2 lb. total)
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1 1/2 cups fresh bread crumbs
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
2 Tbs. chopped fresh mint
1 Tbs. chopped fresh rosemary
2 Tbs. Dijon mustard
2 Tbs. olive oil

Directions:

Season the racks of lamb with salt and pepper. Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour. In a bowl, stir together the bread crumbs, parsley, mint, rosemary, salt and pepper.

Preheat an oven to 375°F.

Brush the meaty side of each lamb rack with 1 Tbs. mustard. Pack the bread crumb mixture onto the meaty side.

In a large fry pan over medium-high heat, warm the olive oil until just smoking. Add the lamb racks, bread-crumb side down, and brown on both sides, about 2 minutes per side. Place the racks, bread-crumb side up, on a rack in a roasting pan. Transfer to the oven and roast until the crust is nicely browned and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the meat, away from the bone, registers 130°F for medium-rare, 20 to 25 minutes, or until done to your liking.

Transfer the lamb to a carving board, cover loosely with aluminum foil and let rest for 15 minutes. Carve the racks into double chops and serve immediately. Serves 8.

I will not claim that I have attempted to cook this at home, but it is my all-time favorite dish to order at restaurants:

Sounds good. I thought i didnt like lamb but i think everytime ive had it, its been overcooked. I think ill give it another chance lol

Ingredients:
1 pack of prosciutto
2 large portobello mushrooms
1 green pepper
1 red pepper
1 small yellow onion
1.5 c balsamic vinaigrette
2 tbs brown sugar
fresh mozzarella

Mix the Balsamic and brown sugar in a bowl with a whisk( I typically add a little bit of garlic powder, black pepper, and pinch of crushed pepper, depending on your tastes). Clean the mushrooms and gently carve them out just a little. Once cleaned, place them in a ziplock bag and pour the mixture in and close the bag. Lay the bag in the frig flat for atleast an hour.

Take each piece of prosciutto and fry it in a pan like you would for bacon. While that fries, you can fine chop the veggies and saute in a pan ( you can even use the same pan you used for the proscuitto, for more flavor). And also thinly slice your mozzarella on the side.

Preheat Oven to 375
On either a baking pan or dish, if no-stick, just a little olive oil rub not too heavy, take the mushrooms out and place them on the pan/dish.
Layer it however you like, what we found that worked best was in this order:
mozzarella
slice of prosciutto
sauteed veggies
mozzarella
slice of prosciutto
and heavy mozzarella

This all depends really on how big your mushrooms are.

Place in the oven, it takes about 15-20 minutes. Just keep an eye on it, once the cheese begins to get that yummy bubbly brown on top, then they are done.

This is enough to be a full meal, it's pretty filling, but you can add any kind of side really.

It should look like this, or close:

1902055_10154676421915207_4701298968153848064_n.jpg

We usually just take a some fresh chopped tomato and basil as a garnish on top with some leftover balsamic.

Ingredients:
1 pack of prosciutto
2 large portobello mushrooms
1 green pepper
1 red pepper
1 small yellow onion
1.5 c balsamic vinaigrette
2 tbs brown sugar
fresh mozzarella

Mix the Balsamic and brown sugar in a bowl with a whisk( I typically add a little bit of garlic powder, black pepper, and pinch of crushed pepper, depending on your tastes). Clean the mushrooms and gently carve them out just a little. Once cleaned, place them in a ziplock bag and pour the mixture in and close the bag. Lay the bag in the frig flat for atleast an hour.

Take each piece of prosciutto and fry it in a pan like you would for bacon. While that fries, you can fine chop the veggies and saute in a pan ( you can even use the same pan you used for the proscuitto, for more flavor). And also thinly slice your mozzarella on the side.

Preheat Oven to 375
On either a baking pan or dish, if no-stick, just a little olive oil rub not too heavy, take the mushrooms out and place them on the pan/dish.
Layer it however you like, what we found that worked best was in this order:
mozzarella
slice of prosciutto
sauteed veggies
mozzarella
slice of prosciutto
and heavy mozzarella

This all depends really on how big your mushrooms are.

Place in the oven, it takes about 15-20 minutes. Just keep an eye on it, once the cheese begins to get that yummy bubbly brown on top, then they are done.

This is enough to be a full meal, it's pretty filling, but you can add any kind of side really.

It should look like this, or close:

1902055_10154676421915207_4701298968153848064_n.jpg

We usually just take a some fresh chopped tomato and basil as a garnish on top with some leftover balsamic.

That looks amazing. I have a recipe for balsamic glazed red onions. They are a great pop of flavor when added to things like caprese salads, meat, or even pizza.

Red onions
Olive oil
Balsamic vinegar
Salt & pepper

Preheat oven to 475. Cut the onions into smallish pieces or rings, whatever works best for the dish you want to incorporate them in. I typically add to salads so i like 1/2" x 1/2" pieces. Keep in mind they will shrink during cooking.

Throw onions in a bowl and toss with vinegar and oil. I like a 1:1 ratio for the onions, but to make balsamic vinaigrette for salads, i do 2:1 ratio of oil to vinegar, so if you want them more mellow, do 2:1.

After tossing, lay out in an even layer on a sheet pan and season generously with salt & pepper, then cook in the oven for 3 to 4 min. You can transfer them immediately to the fridge to cool and they keep up to a week or you can serve them hot with a nice steak or pasta.

Another thing i like to do with balsamic is reduce about 3 cups in a saucepan by 2/3 at a low simmer on the stove to get a sweet balsamic glaze that goes great on a steak.

God, i love balsamic vinegar...

Mushroom risotto -just made it last weekend for the first time in two decades. Not as hard as I remember - and definitely worth the time. Followed the simple recipe on the bag of arborio rice. Added in some minced garlic, that was about it. Really hard to find at restaurants - even decent Italian ones surprisingly. It's supposed to be creamy, not fluffy like minute rice or stir fry and not al dente.

Mushroom risotto -just made it last weekend for the first time in two decades. Not as hard as I remember - and definitely worth the time. Followed the simple recipe on the bag of arborio rice. Added in some minced garlic, that was about it. Really hard to find at restaurants - even decent Italian ones surprisingly. It's supposed to be creamy, not fluffy like minute rice or stir fry and not al dente.

Ooooh! That sounds good. Gonna have to add that to the list of things to try making.

yes yes, and it's well worth hunting out some bizarre wild mushrooms to use, such as these ones...I can't remember what I used these in though.

Something else everyone should try at least once is a braised/caramelised red cabbage - cider-vinegar based, nutmeg/cinnamon/honey/apple/bacon lardons, babycorn are all good to mix up with it. Really easy.

Do you eat snails with or without the shell?

Attachments

• 526632_10151627213579203_331046800_n.jpg
    526632_10151627213579203_331046800_n.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 7
When i had snails, they were out of their shell and overcooked unfortunately.

My two main modes of decompression are via cooking and hiking. My fiancee doesn't really like hiking, and she and I only get one day of the week together, so I've been taking the cooking option quite a bit recently.

The dishes I tend to make continually are combination of certain things that are just standards I've never had specific recipes for and just continually tweaked; and recipes I tried and liked enough to continually reuse them (I'm also typically looking for new recipes to add to the list to try sometime).

In terms of dishes I don't use recipes for and just sort of have tried to figure out what works as I go; I make veal parmesan several times per year, most recently a couple weeks ago. Following a tip I got, I used a couple of tablespoons of buttermilk in the breading, and the effect it had in creating a uniform and crispy crust was pretty incredible; definitely be doing that again.

The most recent time I cooked, it was salmon terriyaki; first used this recipe about 5 years ago and been returning to it since then. Super-simple, you just sautee the salmon filets and then toss them briefly in a mix of soy sauce, mirin, and sesame oil that's been brought to a boil and then reduced so it thickens up a bit (the real key to the dish is getting the salmon skin to render properly and crisp up; that takes some monitoring).

My two main modes of decompression are via cooking and hiking. My fiancee doesn't really like hiking, and she and I only get one day of the week together, so I've been taking the cooking option quite a bit recently.

The dishes I tend to make continually are combination of certain things that are just standards I've never had specific recipes for and just continually tweaked; and recipes I tried and liked enough to continually reuse them (I'm also typically looking for new recipes to add to the list to try sometime).

In terms of dishes I don't use recipes for and just sort of have tried to figure out what works as I go; I make veal parmesan several times per year, most recently a couple weeks ago. Following a tip I got, I used a couple of tablespoons of buttermilk in the breading, and the effect it had in creating a uniform and crispy crust was pretty incredible; definitely be doing that again.

The most recent time I cooked, it was salmon terriyaki; first used this recipe about 5 years ago and been returning to it since then. Super-simple, you just sautee the salmon filets and then toss them briefly in a mix of soy sauce, mirin, and sesame oil that's been brought to a boil and then reduced so it thickens up a bit (the real key to the dish is getting the salmon skin to render properly and crisp up; that takes some monitoring).

We use a really bomb teriyaki marinade at work. Basically you chop up some garlic, ginger, jalapeno, fresno pepper, and shallots and roast em in the oven. Melt a little brown sugar into some soy sauce, and then combine the two and let cool. Longer the protein marinades, the better it tastes. So good.

Recipes tend to just be a guideline for me, unless it's a baking recipe. Typically, if I'm trying something new, the first time is always a test run to see how I'm gonna modify it to my tastes the next time haha.

Speaking of trying something new, I grew up on authentic Greek food (neighbors growing up were from Santorini) and have been craving the comfort of some Pastitsio. I ordered some pastitsio noodles and Kefalotyri, among various other Greek food items, and I'll pick up some ground beef / lamb, but I can't find a genuine recipe. All the shit I'm finding online is calling for bullshit like penne pasta and parmesan cheese.

Any members that have a recipe / knowledge of Greek cooking, I'd loooooove some responses.

Thanks y'all!

In the past year, I learned a little cooking hack to sous-vide at home. It allows you to cook proteins perfectly!

2a7xtlu.jpg

Airtight cooler. Steak (I like to take mine out of the fridge about 40 min before cooking so it reaches room temperature. Sometimes if they are straight from the fridge, the center doesn't cook as it is still too cold). Water. Heat water to desired temp. I went with just over 140 to account for temp loss (Cooler loses about 1 degree per hour when closed). Pour hot water into cooler. Place steak in ziplock bag, slowly begin to submerge in water allowing pressure of water to push out any air from the bag. Seal just before water spills into bag. May need a plate or something to weigh down the bag. Close cooler. Leave in water at least 45 min.

2h66jbd.jpg

Take steak out. Remove from plastic. Dry with paper towels if necessary. Season. Oil. Hot pan. Sear. About 2 min total. Let rest 5-10 min. Eat.

Hardly any gradient like when cooked fully in a pan.

Alternately, you can season the steaks with salt and pepper and put them in the bag with sliced shallots, garlic, and fresh thyme (or other aromatics you might be into) prior to sous-vide-ing and then sear as per usual straight from the bag with just some oil, but I liked my way better.

A great and simple recipe for pulled pork. Put a pork butt in a crock-pot and cover it with ginger ale, or, if you're feeling it - Dr. Pepper. Let it go for eight hours or so, take it out and put the forks to it. I like mine with a mustard/vinegar sauce, but you can use any barbecue sauce you want, it'll be delicious.

A great and simple recipe for pulled pork. Put a pork butt in a crock-pot and cover it with ginger ale, or, if you're feeling it - Dr. Pepper. Let it go for eight hours or so, take it out and put the forks to it. I like mine with a mustard/vinegar sauce, but you can use any barbecue sauce you want, it'll be delicious.

I need to get a crock pot baaad

Fake Shark Fin Soup

In the past, a lot of hawkers used shark meat leftovers from restaurants as principle material of this snack. Nowadays, shark fin has been replaced by vermicelli as the main ingredient of this snack, hence the ‘Fake' added in front of the name.

Mushrooms, black fungus, pork, and some other ingredients are added as the soup boils. Several seasonings are provided to accompany the meat, typically pepper, Zhejiang vinegar and sesame oil.

The so-called Rickshaw Noodles are a kind of fast food, really good value for money, and popular with the Hong Kong people since the 1960's.

They are instant noodles with a variety of other ingredients such as hogskin, fish balls, sirloin, and carrots, with soup and sauces. Due to the variety of ingredients, they come in many flavors and the price range is wide.

Wontons are known as chāo shǒu (literally means "crossed hands"), added to a clear soup along with other ingredients, sometimes deep-fried. Several shapes are common, depending on the region and cooking methods.

The most famous are called Sichuan-style wontons, a celebrated snack in Chengdu. They are famous for their thin skin and rich meat filling as well as their soup, made of chicken, duck, and pork simmered for a long time.

I've always wanted to try Frog Legs.

I'm a huge Fanatic of Spicy Food. I had Family in Louisiana for a while, and they would send us things like Seasonings and Peppers all the time.

They'd also send us Meat. They sent us things like Stuffed Chicken, Gator Legs, Gator Sausage, even Gator Nuggets.

I love making Alfredo. I always use Pepperjack Cheese for the Sauce.

I've made Shrimp, Lobster, Crab, and Chicken Alfredos. And I even do Veggie Alfredos. I like using Carrots, Broccoli, and Peas for those. And sometimes I'll do Alfredos with both Veggies, and 1 of the 4 Things I listed above.

And I use all kinds of Pasta. Like Linguine, Penne, Capellini, and Fusilli.

As far as my Favorite Dish to eat, I don't know if a "Make it Yourself Dish" counts, but I sometimes go to this Restaurant where you can make you're own Dish. I was just there Yesterday, it's called Genghis Grill.

This is what I got yesterday, and I love making it myself when I can.
20150321_194701.jpg

Contains: Cajun Seasoned Chicken, Udon Noodles, Pepperoni, Jalapenos, Onions, Cayenne Pepper, Black Pepper, Garlic, Khanzu Sauce, Cajun Dragon Salt.

Something else I want to eventually try, is an actual Carolina Reaper Pepper. That's as Hot as it gets.
Carolina_Reaper_pepper_pods.jpg

I've had The Sauce, and it's Really Spicy, but it's also Delicious. I'll seriously put it on almost anything. But I've heard that the actual Pepper is 100xs Worse. And call me crazy, but I really want to test it out myself

What's New

4/19/2024
Check out the huge number of thicklign clips that can be found at Clips4Sale. The webs biggest fetish clip store!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back