• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Favourite painter/visual artist

Vanillaphant

TMF Master
Who is your favourite painter/visual artist - and why?

I know very little about art, but it's something I feel I should be devoting more of my attention to. To date the only artist to have made any great impression on me is Salvador Dali. I just like the surprising, surreal nature of the images that he creates. And I like the fact that he valued things like imagination, humour and irony almost as much as he valued technical ability (which was pretty highly, it would seem).

Anyone?

I always liked artists who can paint things the way the see them rather then perhaps the way the world really is. My style of art is much like it. I have grown to call my style of art Thoughtful Contradiction. Its a style that hopefully makes you think about things a bit. For those reasons MC Escher has always been one of my favorite artists. Also Salvador Dali is also another favorite of mine for that same reasons.

If you get the chance, visit the Dali Museum in St.Petersburg, Fl http://thedali.org

The real thing up close is light-years better than any printed or monitor reproduction. The colors and subtleties alone will astound. Oh... and make sure you grow a Dali mustache... they are creativity antennae.

I have several. Wassily Kandinsky, Paul Klee, Alphonse Mucha, some work by Henri Le Sidaner, Robert Delaunay (and his daughter Sonia), John William Waterhouse, and John William Godward. And floral art from Charles Rennie Mackintosh. Can't really give specific reasons, I just found their subjects, and use of color or style particularly appealing.

When I was born, Photorealism had become a big to-do in the world of commercial art. A lot of advertising, particularly in video games (ESPECIALLY sports games), and illustration work for magazines took the technique and applied it in a way that helped establish the high-tech aesthetics of the 80s. I was very drawn to this kind of work, primarily because I was baffled at how the work was made. Today, my tastes reflect this influence, however, I've since developed a preference for Hyperrealism as Photorealism is prone to unimaginative and derivative compositions. While I can appreciate Modern Art because I've studied the historical context and principles of its foundation, Representational Art has always spoken to me in a very intimate way that Conceptual Art simply cannot.

The Photorealists I dig are the ones with exceptional technical skill and singular focus on either curves and lighting or weathered textures:

cat-s-eyes-best-of-em-1993.jpg

Charles Bell

quelque-chose-detrange-photos-rod-penner-L-gd5upO.jpeg

Rod Penner (http://www.rodpenner.com/)

25_picturingamerica09kk.jpg

Ben Schonzeit

Commercial art took the detailed work of Photorealism and merged it with narrative, and the result was a childhood full of unbelievable book and album covers for anyone born between 1976 and 1983. The specialty of the day was pencil-and-watercolor art to create a bleeding effect of overlapping images that didn't obscure each other. Once again, Atari was the master of this form:

atari_finalart.jpg
atari_finalart2.jpg

One of the most renowned artists for this kind of work is Michael Whelan, who, along with Bernie Wrightson, pretty much set the tone for the type of eye-grabbing histrionic imagery that exceeded the content of the work itself.

2found2.jpg

But the ones that really grabbed me were the poster works of the one, THE ONLY Drew Struzan. Struzan basically drew your childhood dreams, because his posters dominated the 1980s and have created a legion of fans who continue to draw inspiration from, and design Struzan-esque work of their own. Struzan is the official poster artist for both Star Wars and Indiana Jones.

310498012_3f9e404ff2.jpg

All this makes a fairly loose amalgam of photorealistic detail and rendering with commercial art's tendency for exaggeration, which some people regard as soulless, but I regard as powerful and unforgettable. But to each their own.

Other notable mentions:

Hajime Sorayama:
sorayama_pr1.jpg

Renato Casaro:
dances-with-wolves-art-print.jpg

Boris Vallejo and the irreplaceable Frank Frazetta (the illustration world's Frank Remington):

6278974_f520.jpg
ff_silver_warrior.jpg

And perhaps the world's greatest pencil artist, Emanuele Dascanio (http://emanueledascanio.deviantart.com/):

form_01d6d096063afc32.jpg

The vast world of Fantasy Art illustration/paintings has always been my favorite. Immensely talented artists who need to get FAR more coverage than the
empty heads who fill the "reality TV" channels.

Michael Whelan, Brom, Boris Vallejo, Greg and Tim Hildebrandt, Larry Elmore, Wayne Barlowe, Scott Murphy, Marc Simonetti, etc.

Attachments

• 0572-Michael-Whelan.jpg
    0572-Michael-Whelan.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 1
  • battle-lord-Brom.jpg
    battle-lord-Brom.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Marc-Simonetti-The Real Iron Throne.jpg
    Marc-Simonetti-The Real Iron Throne.jpg
    340.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Michael-Whelan-fantasy-art-4030910-1024-670.jpg
    Michael-Whelan-fantasy-art-4030910-1024-670.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 2
  • odalisque.jpg
    odalisque.jpg
    543.8 KB · Views: 2
....a few more...

Attachments

• Scott-Murphy-Badru and the Giant.jpg
    Scott-Murphy-Badru and the Giant.jpg
    518.4 KB · Views: 2
  • The Fallen -Larry-Elmore.jpg
    The Fallen -Larry-Elmore.jpg
    1,010.5 KB · Views: 3
  • wayne_barlowe_02-1024x721.jpg
    wayne_barlowe_02-1024x721.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Wayne-Barlowe_beelzebubs-keep.jpg
    Wayne-Barlowe_beelzebubs-keep.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 1
I don't mind M C Escher. But he's maybe a bit too - uhm - cerebral for me. I think if I were to go to an Escher exhibition, I'd probably wind up with a headache after about 20 minutes lol.

Re: Emanuele Dascanio... I'd never heard of him till now... Clearly he's an extremely talented fella. But whenever I see an artist depicting something as accurately as possible (this is excluding photography, obviously), I can't help but think: Why? Once you've gasped over the fact that it is in fact a drawing and not a high definition black and white photograph, what then? I just find myself pondering over the truly mind-blowing images that such an artist could potentially create if they let their imagination run wild. But maybe that's a bit of a philistine attitude on my part lol. I dunno.

Re: Modern Fantasy art and the like... I don't know why but it just does nothing for me. It's like a different language; I don't get it. Which is a shame, but there you go.

If you get the chance, visit the Dali Museum in St.Petersburg, Fl http://thedali.org

Looks good. If it wasn't for the fact that I live 4000 miles away, I'd be all over it like a rash! :D

Wassily Kandinsky, Paul Klee, Alphonse Mucha, some work by Henri Le Sidaner, Robert Delaunay (and his daughter Sonia), John William Waterhouse, and John William Godward. And floral art from Charles Rennie Mackintosh.

From this list only Kandinsky and Mackintosh had I heard of - and even then I wasn't sure what kind of artists they were! Having googled all these names, I have to say I like the look of Alphonse Mucha's stuff. Which is odd: I thought my tastes were a little more masculine than that! lol I suppose like most people I'd seen examples of his work before, but it's nice to be able to put a name to it!

Last edited:
From this list only Kandinsky and Mackintosh had I heard of - and even then I wasn't sure what kind of artists they were! Having googled all these names, I have to say I like the look of Alphonse Mucha's stuff. Which is odd: I thought my tastes were a little more masculine than that! lol I suppose like most people I'd seen examples of his work before, but it's nice to be able to put a name to it!

That's cool that you googled all of those artists :). Mucha's work certainly did (and still does) appeal to men, because of his beautiful portrayal of women from that era, so you are not alone in appreciating his stuff as a guy. If you like his work, you might also like art from Raphael Kirchner, Joyce Ballentine, and Al Buell. I didn't seriously get into art until my late 20's, early 30's, so I'm not an expert on it, but those artists might appeal to you as well, if you found Mucha's work to be agreeable :).

Last edited:
Jasper Johns, southern andy warhol and not the most creative but his pieces have meaning. I lived in Italy for a bit, the Uffizi might be the most amazing place I have ever seen. Good post my friend!

Re: Emanuele Dascanio...whenever I see an artist depicting something as accurately as possible (this is excluding photography, obviously), I can't help but think: Why? Once you've gasped over the fact that it is in fact a drawing and not a high definition black and white photograph, what then? I just find myself pondering over the truly mind-blowing images that such an artist could potentially create if they let their imagination run wild. But maybe that's a bit of a philistine attitude on my part lol. I dunno.
I wouldn't say philistine, I'd say more conceptual disparity. For those of us who dig the Representationalists, it's the skill and discipline that goes into the painstaking recreation of the image that holds as much merit as the meaning or intention of the work itself. If you're the kind of person who feels that the emotional reaction to the work is the measure of a work's merit rather than the technique of its hand-rendering, then you'll find the Hyperrealists severely lacking. However, I would add this one salient codicil: Photorealism and Hypperrealism both advocate the augmentation or alteration of the original photo's details according to the artist's preference, meaning that they can choose select details in the picture to adjust or tweak in their own way; this can be color or even entire details.

One of the most renowned Photorealists--Richard Estes--is not actually a Photorealist at all, but rather a Vedutist (or vista painter), who composites his paintings together out of hundreds of single photographs taken from a variety of angles and then renders them with his own particular preference for details. His paintings are known for their lack of people, which is a deliberate omission on his part; an artistic indulgence he feels a meritorious decision. And who am I to argue with it? He was lumped in with the Photorealists originally because he doesn't blend his lines, and when you see his paintings in a shrunken form, they look like crisp edges of sharp focus...but on close examination, they're revealed as broad somewhat clumsy lines, but absolutely confident.

richard-estes-1336125742_org.jpg

Re: Modern Fantasy art and the like... I don't know why but it just does nothing for me. It's like a different language; I don't get it. Which is a shame, but there you go.
Try looking at Fantasy art of the past. Part of the problem with modern fantasy art is that it's very incestuous. Most of the up-and-coming artists are influenced by each other's work, and lack the traditional familiarity with art movements of the past. Those especially who learned to paint with Photoshop probably never bothered to crack an art book in the first place, so their subject matter and compositions lack the creative use of negative space and compositional balance (or even imbalance) to really made this stuff stand out for we 70s/early80s kids.

And there's going to be crap, too. For every Frazetta in the 60s, there were a dozen craptacular illustrators who were more in line with the bold, chiseled and futurist sensibilities of the 1950s or even Abstract expressionists who took advantage of the psychedelic trends to justify their "unusual", virtually zentagle-esque line work. My advice would be to go to a good used bookstore and start rifling through the sci-fi/horror paperbacks for books printed before 1990. The paintings of Whelan, Wrightson, Barlowe, James Bama, and others are usually standouts (although I personally don't care much for Barlowe). A quick Google search on any of these guys will usually lead to samples of the kind of work that built their reputations in the time periods I mentioned.

1. My private mentor when I was a kid, and several “not as famous” but GREAT/passionate artists of my locality.

2. My favorite Masters of then and now: Leonardo Da Vinci, Rembrandt, Michelangelo, Courbet, Alwyn Crawshaw, Andrew Loomis, and the modest C.A.B.

3. Strong art interest with no specific favorite artist as of present: Autostereogram, Anamorphosis, and Optical Illusions

Of course, I forgot to mention a lot more…

But whenever I see an artist depicting something as accurately as possible (this is excluding photography, obviously), I can't help but think: Why? Once you've gasped over the fact that it is in fact a drawing and not a high definition black and white photograph, what then? I just find myself pondering over the truly mind-blowing images that such an artist could potentially create if they let their imagination run wild. But maybe that's a bit of a philistine attitude on my part lol. I dunno.

Only a MASTER of art can destroy his art...
There is really nothing to it all, unless ART made you its slave, then you will fall on your knees and live with never-ending angst in one lifetime. :D

Last edited:
...My favorite Masters of then and now: Leonardo Da Vinci, Rembrandt, Michelangelo, Courbet, Alwyn Crawshaw, Andrew Loomis, and the modest C.A.B.

Now you just stop that. ...I'm not modest at all. ...KING EMPEROR SULTAN DESTROY ALL MONSTERS HEADBANG KONG!

Who is your favourite painter/visual artist - and why?

I know very little about art, but it's something I feel I should be devoting more of my attention to. To date the only artist to have made any great impression on me is Salvador Dali. I just like the surprising, surreal nature of the images that he creates. And I like the fact that he valued things like imagination, humour and irony almost as much as he valued technical ability (which was pretty highly, it would seem).

Anyone?

I saw a great Dali exhibit in Atlanta a few years ago. I am by no means an art expert or anything, but I really enjoyed looking at his work

@myth77 & Amnesiac... Thanks for the recommendations/info. :)

I saw a great Dali exhibit in Atlanta a few years ago. I am by no means an art expert or anything, but I really enjoyed looking at his work

Agh, I need to get myself to a Dali exhibition. Were you a fan beforehand or was it curiosity that took you there? I could imagine somebody who is not too familiar with his work being pretty surprised at its diversity. It's a shame that he's best known for his "melting clocks" and lobster telephone - not exactly his best work! :)

I know very little about art, as well, but I know what I like.

I used to love Claude Monet and still do to a degree, but, when I see his art now, the colors are too anemic looking; drawn to rich robust colors now. Love deeep riiich colors! Monet on acid, possibly. ^_^

~> this search gives just about my speed
https://www.google.com/search?q=colorful+paintings&tbm=isch&imgil=8sC2mMm8MPi8HM%253A%253Byy7aIPUAoHpFdM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fafremov.com%25252FCOLORFUL-NIGHT-PALETTE-KNIFE-Oil-Painting-On-Canvas-By-Leonid-Afremov-Size-32-X40.html&source=iu&pf=m&fir=8sC2mMm8MPi8HM%253A%252Cyy7aIPUAoHpFdM%252C_&biw=1366&bih=631&usg=__rr1nf5X8hWkEY6wXuJ_RqNdCd6g%3D&ved=0CCoQyjc&ei=C0WYVfzUMsj7-AGd546gDw#tbm=isch&q=famous+colorful+oil+paintings

Here is one; LOVE:
image.php.jpg

I have worked in the Arts, but am certainly no expert - my lack of talent in producing the sort of art I'd like to have produced at school lead me to mostly become involved with theatre and music, although I have been exposed to quite a lot of contemporary art through my career.

Visually, I take an instant liking to David Hockney's material, because of its colour and simplicity, but I don't consider viewing his work as a true experience, unlike standing in front of a large painting by Constable or sitting silently watching a Dali video.

I absolutely agree with Vanillaphant's appreciation of an artist valuing humour and imagination - these qualities are just as creative as the technical side of producing the final work.

I also have a fascination with forgeries and fakers - it's staggering surely that someone has enough talent to create a near duplicate of something that's given such high regard by those in the know. I wonder why their technical talents did not lead to them creating their own masterpieces? Is this because they lack that imagination and humour, they lack the stories and the background in life to inspire them to create original artworks?

I like work that has a story within it, more often than not it's tragic or simply mysterious. I like Frida Kahlo and some of the pre-raphealite material, but my knowledge is limited to what I've seen by chance and my memory of what I've seen is not good, I'll remember what I've seen, but my interest is not always strong enough to remember the artist, the era or the story.

Attached is one original work I have on my wall. I liked the colour and romance and the debatable nature of the embrace - there's something sad about the embrace. Is it a forbidden embrace of two lovers, is it the final embrace of a partnership that has come to an end, is it a first embrace of a couple enjoying an early date at the seaside, is it the embrace of a reunited couple with a history too chequered to permit any kind of future together?

Who knows?! That's the beauty of Art, it's all open to interpretation.

TTG

PS absolutely love the image in the previous post to mine.

Attachments

• 552021_10151205488229203_183440864_n.jpg
    552021_10151205488229203_183440864_n.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
@myth77 & Amnesiac... Thanks for the recommendations/info. :)

Agh, I need to get myself to a Dali exhibition. Were you a fan beforehand or was it curiosity that took you there? I could imagine somebody who is not too familiar with his work being pretty surprised at its diversity. It's a shame that he's best known for his "melting clocks" and lobster telephone - not exactly his best work! :)

I was not a fan before this. I knew the name and had seen a few things of his before, but until the exhibit I never paid real close attention. It was quite interesting, actually. I was traveling with my parents and when we were in Atlanta, my mom really wanted to stop at this exhibit so the rest of the family just kind of went along for her sake. But once we got there, everyone was blown away by what we saw, and we all loved it.

Like I said, I don't know a whole lot about art and probably couldn't discuss it intelligently with art connoisseurs, but I always enjoy the opportunity to look at things I find interesting.

As far as art on TMF, I enjoy Bohemianne, C.A.B and MTJ Publishing quite a bit.

I have extremely classic tastes when it comes to art. So among the classics, I'd name Caravaggio (gosh, the light!), Vermeer, Delacroix, and my top personal favorite of all time, William-Adolphe Bouguereau (see attached sample). I can enjoy a good modern piece from time to time (the American Edward Hopper comes to mind), but I cannot stand 99% of the stuff that has been produced since the second half of the 20th century.

William-Adolphe_Bouguereau_(1825-1905)_-_After_the_Bath_(1894).jpg

Last edited:
I have extremely classic tastes when it comes to art. So among the classics, I'd name Caravaggio (gosh, the light!), Vermeer, Delacroix, and my top personal favorite of all time, William-Adolphe Bouguereau (see attached sample). I can enjoy a good modern piece from time to time (the American Edward Hopper comes to mind), but I cannot stand 99% of the stuff that has been produced since the second half of the 20th century up to now.

View attachment 455229

I've been looking at Caravaggio's work recently - on Google images I mean lol. Good stuff. There's a - erm - 'dramatic intimacy' about his paintings, which I like. I also like the fact that his paintings tend to have a strong narrative. Clearly he was a technical genius... But he used his talent to communicate something more profound. I like it.

Like I said, I don't know a whole lot about art and probably couldn't discuss it intelligently with art connoisseurs, but I always enjoy the opportunity to look at things I find interesting.

As far as art on TMF, I enjoy Bohemianne, C.A.B and MTJ Publishing quite a bit.

Aaaw! :blowkiss:

What's New

4/19/2024
Check out the huge number of thicklign clips that can be found at Clips4Sale. The webs biggest fetish clip store!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back