• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

The best, the worst and the weirdest cover versions of Beatles songs

Would you believe - a punk version of "Help"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O9HCWTfohA

Ok, don't tell me! I'm going to guess! I'm going to say this is...... The Damned version of "Help".....let's see if I'm right! Maybe I'm wrong!

I was right!! Ha! Good choice, Kopfhorer! So much for punks being Beatle-haters! And also for the idea that early punks were musical simpletons: there's a lot of chords in "Help"!

Ok, volleying back....

The Jam: And Your Bird Can Sing

Suzy Quatro: I Wanna Be Your Man

Ah, mid-day break....this first one could be in the opening credits of a Tarantino movie....

John Schroeder: Back In The U.S.S.R.

And The Five Stairsteps surpisingly turn in two very faithful renditions....

The Five Stairsteps: Dear Prudence

The Five Stairsteps: Getting Better

*It might be a good juncture to point out: NO ONE improves on the original versions of these songs! Definitely not these covers, anyways!*

Chaka Khan & Lenny White: Lady Madonna

Earth, Wind & Fire: Got To Get You Into My Life

Three good stabs at "Tomorrow Never Knows"....

The Mirage: Tomorrow Never Knows

Junior Parker: Tomorrow Never Knows

Phil Collins: Tomorrow Never Knows

Four very different reworkings of "I Want To Hold Your Hand", none of them approaching the original, of course!

The Moving Sidewalks: I Want To Hold Your Hand

Al Green: I Want To Hold Your Hand

Lakeside: I Want To Hold Your Hand

Sailor Moon & The Scouts: I Want To Hold Your Hand

I don't have audio, but a friend's band does a solid cover of Lennon's "Cold Turkey."

I don't have audio, but a friend's band does a solid cover of Lennon's "Cold Turkey."

Well, I don't have the audio to your friend's band, but I do have The Soft Boys doing "Cold Turkey"!

The Soft Boys: Cold Turkey

Might as well consider it a Beatle track; Ringo drummed on it, and it was done during the Beatle years.

But in case that doesn't qualify for some, here's a cover of a great, overlooked George song.

Steve Hillage: It's All Too Much

I forgot that Wilco covered "And Your Bird Can Sing."

You forgot! But I never heard! Thanks! This is new to me!!!! This is hilarious! Version 1, not great.....so they play a second version! Much better, much more spirited! Ha! He sings it better, too! Second version is definitely the better version for those who just want to hear one. Thanks, Shippy!

Ok, well....to volley back.....let's see..."And Your Bird Can Sing", John Lennon song on "Revolver" (fave album of all time, by the way).....ok, well.....if there's going to be another, it has to be "She Said, She Said" then (my personal fave Beatle track, if there can be such a thing....)

None could ever approach the original, never, ever never....but here's a wacked-out, over-the-top mid-70s hard rock version that defies description:

Lonestar: She Said, She Said

a bizarre fox-trot, jazz organ version

Don Randi: She Said, She Said

and here's the Black Keys version that Chicago had mentioned way back....definitely the best cover of this great, great song

The Black Keys: She Said, She Said

Last edited:
Three very different (and "out there") interpretations of "Rain"...listening to these all in a row definitely puts you in a state-of-mind, like you've come through something.......by the time you get to the last one, it's so innocent that you almost get a melancholy feeling, like something was lost...

...or maybe its just the shit I'm smoking, lol.....

Bongwater: Rain

Steve Marcus: Rain

The Sunshine Company: Rain

Last edited:
Trash: Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight

Dobby Dobson: Carry That Weight

Last edited:
George Benson: The End
(see attached)

Brian Sewell: Her Majesty
(see attached)

Attachments

• 15 The End.mp3
    2.3 MB
  • 24 Her Majesty.mp3
    430.8 KB
Jeff Healy Band While My Guitar Gently Weeps https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=660a3z7r2_4

Dana Fuchs Band.... Helter Skelter and Don't Let Me Down
Going to see her Sunday night in Manhattan

Hey Boxr! Thanks, didn't know Miss Fuchs, she can sure belt 'em out! Have fun Sunday!

I can't improve on the three "Don't Let Me Down"s on the first page.....but here's a "Helter Skelter"

Husker Du: Helter Skelter

One of the more bizarre, unlikeliest (but actually not bad!) Beatle covers of all time was done by none other than Anthony Newley who sang, of all things, George's "Within You Without You" (!!!!) And on a prime-time "stars sing the Beatles" ABC special, no less!

Anthony Newley: Within You, Without You
introduction by Tony Randall

and while we're doing obscure George sitar tunes....

Bongwater: Love You To

Last edited:
Happy Birthday, Macca!

And what better way to celebrate than with Count Basie's two very different versions of "Yesterday". The song McCartney never gets tired of talking about! lol.

Count Basie: Yesterday (1970 version)

Count Basie: Yesterday (1966 version)

Here's a real jaw dropper. St. Vincent doing "Dig a Pony:"

This version is so great, I'm still shaking my head in disbelief of what I'm hearing.

Here's a real jaw dropper. St. Vincent doing "Dig a Pony:"
This version is so great, I'm still shaking my head in disbelief of what I'm hearing.

I know this one! I used this to turn my niece on to St. Vincent! :) I totally forgot about it! Thanks! Yeah, she's great on this one! She's another one for the "great new music" thread.

Ok, I volley back with.....instead of posting Laibach's "Dig A Pony"....how about their "Dig It"??

Laibach: Dig It

and in honor of Susan Collins, and arguments about gun control, lol.....

Tori Amos: Happiness Is A Warm Gun

A couple of "You Won't See Me"s:

Anne Murray: You Won't See Me

The Clarendonians: You Won't See Me

This isn't really a cover, but Wax Audio did a great mashup of "A Hard Day's Night" with Motley Crue's "Girls Girls Girls".

This isn't really a cover, but Wax Audio did a great mashup of "A Hard Day's Night" with Motley Crue's "Girls Girls Girls".

That would go great in the mash-up thread that Captured Doll started!

A couple for the kids, although this version of "Yellow Submarine" is completely demented and far removed from the singalong that we all know! Not exactly kids' stuff; more like post-apocalypse!

Roots Manuva: Yellow Submarine

The Muppets: All Together Now

Oh my god, Ringo, I am so sorry, I fell asleep so early and completely forgot.....

Richard Starkey turned 76 yesterday! And my god, is there any 76-year old that looks better than Ringo? Who would have though he would have ended up the best looking Beatle?! Good for him!

Here's a couple of covers of some Ringo songs......a great version of "Don't Pass Me By", and a complete reimagining of "What Goes On?"

The Georiga Satellites: Don't Pass Me By

Sufjan Stevens: What Goes On?

This was some fuckin' good shit a few weekends ago. They've been playing "Dear Prudence" a lot, too.

This was some fuckin' good shit a few weekends ago. They've been playing "Dear Prudence" a lot, too.

Cool, this was the show you was at? How close were you, I want to see if I can spot you! lol. Do they always drop those in as encores only? Like they whip them out for special occasions? Or are they in normal rotation?

I remember right before Jerry kicked the bucket, the Dead were doing a medley of "Baba O'Reilly" into "Tomorrow Never Knows" as an encore! :eek:

A couple of versions of "Girl", one amazing acoustic instrumental version.....and one in French by none other than Johnny Hallyday, the state-of-the-art for French rock circa 1966!

Doyle Dykes: Girl

Johnny Hallyday: Girl

Just reminding people to deposit your Beatle covers here!

Like these two great ones!

Jose Feliciano: Help

Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66: Day Tripper

What's New

4/25/2024
Visit Tickle Experiement for clips! Details in the TE box below!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back