• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Let's Talk About Linux

DebonairDavid

TMF Regular
After looking to see what results I'd find, I saw there are threads making references to Linux or asking Linux-related troubleshooting questions, and while those are fine, I didn't see any that are general discussions so I've decided to make one. Due to the flame wars in the Linux community, please keep this civil (the mods aren't here to babysit).

What distro do you use as a daily driver? What desktop environment/window manager do you use? What do you like/don't like about your distro/DE/WM? How long have you used Linux? Have you distro-hopped or are you planning to? What programs do you use on daily basis? What do you like/don't like about those programs? Which Linux YouTubers do you follow?

I've been using Mint as my daily driver for about 11 years now, and despite some challenges and the steep learning curve that comes with Linux, I'm never going back to Windows. Although I've gotten accustomed to workflow of Mint, I do want to challenge myself by getting more familiar with other distros like Devuan, and later Alpine Linux by using a window manager, so I can move away from Systemd. I don't hate Systemd, but I don't like how it can potentially make distros like Mint become slower, bloated, and fragile. While I mostly ran the Cinnamon version of Mint, I also tried out MATE and XFCE, and found MATE works the best for me, IMO. Cinnamon doesn't offer as much customization as I'd like, and it's also being a bit resource-heavy, especially when I was still using my ancient Lenovo X200 Laptop/tablet. Its been a while since I used XFCE, so I don't remember much about it, I do remember not liking how tedious it was to go to the software manager just to delete a program, whereas in MATE or Cinnamon, I can simply right-click, click 'uninstall', and I'm done. As far as the programs I use, Librewolf is my go-to browser, which I discovered after watching DistroTube's video about Mozilla trying to censor the web. One thing I especially like is it works right out of the box, while one thing that's a little annoying is accessing some websites can require some troubleshooting due to the default privacy settings (which has more to do with the website itself not using HTTPS by default). While I'll still use Firefox, I've made some modifications to it so there's less phoning home among other things. Considering how many popular browsers are simply reskins of Firefox and Chromium, it would be nice if there was more diversity of browsers. I also use LibreOffice for many projects, and while it's decent, I don't like how tedious and inconvienent it is to go and search for a template online when Microsoft Office had plenty to choose from within each program. My guess for why the Document Foundation didn't take a page of MO's playbook is not wanting to make LO slow and constipated, but it still would've been nice to have a window appear on start up that shows the basic, pre-installed templates, and gives you the link to the website if you want other ones. I've also played around with LeoCad, which is meant to be an unofficial and spiritual successor to Lego Digital Designer. I was using it on the X200 laptop, but the laptop being old and slow, it kept giving me issues. Now that I have a Frameworks laptop, I want to record myself using LeoCad to make lego-building videos and have people donate money to my Open Collective account (Yes, that is legal as long as I'm not making any association with the Lego Group). Those are a few examples of programs I use.

What's New

4/27/2024
Visit Clips4Sale for the webs largest clip store! Get details by clicking the C4S banners
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back