• If you would like to get your account Verified, read this thread
  • The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

A Century Ago...

goddess_nemesis

Verified
At where I work, we get a weekly newsletter type paper that is full of advertisements as well as a puzzles, riddles, and some interesting piece of information. That piece of info is anything from explaining how a certain holiday got started to an inspirational story.

This week it had a list of statistics for the year 1910.

• The average life expectancy for men was 47 years.
  • Only 14 percent of the homes had a bathtub.
  • Only 8 percent of the homes had a telephone.
  • There were only 8,000 cars and only 144 miles of paved roads.
  • The maximum speed limit in most cities was 10 mph.
  • The tallest structure in the world was the Eiffel Tower!
  • The average US wage in 1910 was 22 cents per hour.
  • The average US worker made between $200 and $400 per year.
  • A competent accountant could expect to earn $2,000 per year, a dentist $2,500 per year, a veterinarian between $1,500 and $4,000 per year, and a mechanical engineer about $5,000 per year.
  • More than 95 percent of all births took place at HOME!
  • Ninety percent of all doctors had NO COLLEGE EDUCATION! Instead, they attended so-called medical schools, many of which were condemned in the press AND the government as 'substandard.'
  • Sugar cost four cents a pound.
  • Eggs were 14 cents a dozen.
  • Coffee was 15 cents a pound.
  • Most women only washed their hair once a month, and used Borax or egg yolks for shampoo.
  • Canada passed a law that prohibited poor people from entering into their country for any reason.
  • The five leading causes of death were:
    1. Pneumonia and influenza
    2. Tuberculosis
    3. Diarrhea
    4. Heart disease
    5. Stroke
  • The American flag had 45 stars.
  • The population of Las Vegas, Nevada, was only 30!
  • Crossword puzzles, canned beer, and iced tea hadn't been invented yet.
  • There was no Mother's Day or Father's Day.
  • Two out of every 10 adults couldn't read or write.
  • Only six percent of all Americans had graduated from high school.
  • Eighteen percent of households had at least one full-time servant or domestic help.
  • There were about 230 reported murders in the ENTIRE USA!

It's kinda interesting to see how much things have changed in a hundred years. 😀

Very Cool info. My Gandma on my dads side was born 100 years ago. She would have 100 yaers old three weeks ago. Thanks for posting this.

Amazing to contmeplate that my four grandparents were between the ages of 17 and 24 in that year, 1910. They clearly grew up in a different world.

Back in '05, I spent a little time at the kitchen table with the grandmother of one of my in-laws; her name was Rose. She was born in 1915 and she told me a few stories about growing up in the south.

My favorite story was about seeing her grandmother when she was a girl. Her grandmother talked about how she missed her 'helpers' that assisted her in her youth (slaves, obviously) and about how she didn't want to have one of those 'filthy things' installed in her home (an indoor toilet).

Rose also talked about being a teenager and utterly gloomy that she didn't have as pretty things to wear during the Great Depression and the fact that she was able to marry a handsome man before she became a spinster (in her early 20's!).

Rose died a few years ago, sadly.

More than 95 percent of all births took place at HOME!

My dad was born at the family home circa 1914-1918, and no birth certificate was filed which was not unusual then. This posed a problem when he had to register for the draft during WWII. The draft board decided 1914 was the correct year. We still don't know for sure, but that's what went on all his records afterwards.

Back in '05, I spent a little time at the kitchen table with the grandmother of one of my in-laws; her name was Rose. She was born in 1915 and she told me a few stories about growing up in the south.

My favorite story was about seeing her grandmother when she was a girl. Her grandmother talked about how she missed her 'helpers' that assisted her in her youth (slaves, obviously) and about how she didn't want to have one of those 'filthy things' installed in her home (an indoor toilet).

Rose also talked about being a teenager and utterly gloomy that she didn't have as pretty things to wear during the Great Depression and the fact that she was able to marry a handsome man before she became a spinster (in her early 20's!).

Rose died a few years ago, sadly.

That is a great story, and a great memory. Sad that Rose has passed but she had a long life.

My maternal grandmother, who I remember, came out to Kansas from Illinios as a child in a mule drawn wagon not unlike the Conestoga wagon that helped settle the American West.

Bugman, that's interesting about your Dad and grandmother. My own parents don't talk that much about family history, sadly; they both had to deal with some really dysfunctional families and have chosen to forget a lot, I suppose.

Most women only washed their hair once a month, and used Borax or egg yolks for shampoo.

I am so happy I am not living in that era!!....But guess what our great granchildren will also receive news letter of this kind 100 years from now and will be saing on the forums...MAN how world has changed....unless they will think up of something cooler than internet...

Most women only washed their hair once a month, and used Borax or egg yolks for shampoo.

I am so happy I am not living in that era!!....But guess what our great granchildren will also receive news letter of this kind 100 years from now and will be saing on the forums...MAN how world has changed....unless they will think up of something cooler than internet...

Not newsletters!
You can buy for a 100 dollars or less a digital voice recorder, and ask to your parents, or relatives, or old people about its time.
The digital voice can be downloaded and/or storage in a computer, or in space in the web, or in any other digital media. And from a 100 years from now, your grand grand children can listen themselves about it, from you. I recorded many hours from my old people.
All the common things. Everything you may think of.

One for sure for the over 40 is how was to receive a letter, how was to travel and not being in real time contact all the time. Somebody that traveled in the 80, still know the experience of open a letter. To take a picture and wait for developing. You do record in digital, is forever.

What's New

9/29/2024
The TMF Gathering forums is where you'll find who is meeting where and when!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** Jojo45 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back