• If you would like to get your account Verified, read this thread
  • The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

A technical question about editing audio

BigNorm

3rd Level Violet Feather
i was wondering if it was possible to edit an audio file by layers? for example: i have the episode of Teen Titans where they face the Brotherhood of Evil for the last time, and i really like the action music toward the end (what can i say? i'm a sucker for boss music) but i wondered if there was a way to separate the talking and sound effects to just leave the music?

Last edited:
Me too. I was wondering if I could do that. Any suggestions?

I've heard of programs that would do that... but I have to check on 'em again... I think its done with the "tone" in each layer... not perfect, but I'm sure with A music program, you can "add in" what is missed.

Its a very hard piece of equipment to work with too, if I remember right. I'll check on it when I get back from work.

Iffy. It's not totally inconceivable, but there will almost certainly be some loss of quality, and you might not be able to get rid of the other sounds completely.

FFT analysis can analyze a segment of sound as to what frequencies are present in it, and it is possible to take that analysis and take out the lesser frequencies, i.e., sounds and talking where the energy is spread among different frequencies, as opposed to music, which is likely to be concentrated in certain frequencies. Then it can be transformed back to audio, minus the frequencies you remove. There are other ways to filter frequencies out too, but it's always dependent on having some idea what frequencies you want to keep and what you want to lose.

At any rate, it's never cut-and-dry. Just like you are able to hear numerous simultaneous sounds with only two ears, all the talking and music is mixed into one single track. The only exception might be a special edition DVD or what not with "audio options". Actually, even if there were a track of the audio somewhere with *just* the dialog and sounds and no music, you could take the difference and have the music.

I've been learning a lot about signal processing and FFT and digital audio, but I've never actually tried to do something like this. Would you like me to see if I can do anything with it? PM me if so.

Betchass said:
Iffy. It's not totally inconceivable, but there will almost certainly be some loss of quality, and you might not be able to get rid of the other sounds completely.

FFT analysis can analyze a segment of sound as to what frequencies are present in it, and it is possible to take that analysis and take out the lesser frequencies, i.e., sounds and talking where the energy is spread among different frequencies, as opposed to music, which is likely to be concentrated in certain frequencies. Then it can be transformed back to audio, minus the frequencies you remove. There are other ways to filter frequencies out too, but it's always dependent on having some idea what frequencies you want to keep and what you want to lose.

At any rate, it's never cut-and-dry. Just like you are able to hear numerous simultaneous sounds with only two ears, all the talking and music is mixed into one single track. The only exception might be a special edition DVD or what not with "audio options". Actually, even if there were a track of the audio somewhere with *just* the dialog and sounds and no music, you could take the difference and have the music.

I've been learning a lot about signal processing and FFT and digital audio, but I've never actually tried to do something like this. Would you like me to see if I can do anything with it? PM me if so.

well, i can live with the little sound effects, but mostly wanna get rid of the speech.

i have a free audio editor, but i don't know how good it is. i'll see what options it has.

What's New

9/20/2024
Clips4Sale offers the most tickling clips in one place on the entire web.
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back