• If you would like to get your account Verified, read this thread
  • The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Any P&P RPG players here?

gallicus

TMF Novice
Heya, I'm just curious if there are other RPG players here, of the pencil and paper variety.

I myself am quite an avid fan of them, and have been for a good 10 years. It wasn't until university that I really got an opportunity to play them a lot though. The ones I enjoy most now are: D&D 3.5, the new White Wolf system (World of Darkness -- quite good, fixes all the horrible problems of old WW), d20 Big Eyes Small Mouth, and good ole' 2nd ed D&D.

I've played quite a few others though. Anyone else play the above regularily?

Well' I'm just starting a D&D 2nd ed. campaign, but I'm also into Shadowrun 3rd ed. I used to play Rifts, but it's ever increasing suckability forced me to sell my books. Welcome to the TT GALLICUS. There are a few RPG players here. You'll probably hear from them once they eventually find this thread.

Thanks for the welcomes. Technically I signed up a while ago, but then I just plain lost my internet. When I got it back I had forgotten about this forum. When I found it again I was entrenched in my studies. I finally have a break now. 😛

As to Rifts, yeah, I tend to agree. It can be fun sometimes, but there was never really anything new or improved released. Just different add-ons to the old system. They could have gone the route of D&D and WW and made a new edition (or two, or three) and vastly improved their system. D&D (ignoring 3.0) and WW did it very well.

Mmm... not that many PnP players, I guess...

There has to be more. I've heard from a few other posters here on this forum discussing various RPG's every now and then.
It could be that they just haven't seen this thread yet. But, on the other hand, they might keep their interests predominately in the tickling sections.

Hell yeah, 3rd edition D&D, got a huge supply of books, near-encyclopediac memory of terms and obscure rules, and a good set of characters ready to throw into the game whenever called for.

did it back in college...no time now...real world and stuff...

I still have my 'cursed' set of dice....😉

I didn't know that D&D was still in use, lol. I played it a little bit in the equivalent of high school in the Philippines, but I didn't get seriously into it. I guess I just prefer "real-world" games, like fantasy sports 🙂

Heh, glad there are a few more players posting. And yes, D&D is still played. Quite a lot I might add. Of course, it has probobly gone through about 3 revisions since you last played, MistressValerie. Maybe even 4.

I don't know if this counts as an RPG, but I still have several of the old-fashioned fantasy baseball games (Avalon Hill, Strat-O-Matic) where the baseballers are represented by little cards, and the player has to roll dice and refer to pages of charts to find out what happened in each at-bat. I don't play them anymore (updated teams and players aren't available), but I used to think they were fascinating in a weird way 🙂

MistressValerie said:
I don't know if this counts as an RPG, but I still have several of the old-fashioned fantasy baseball games (Avalon Hill, Strat-O-Matic) where the baseballers are represented by little cards, and the player has to roll dice and refer to pages of charts to find out what happened in each at-bat. I don't play them anymore (updated teams and players aren't available), but I used to think they were fascinating in a weird way 🙂

Well, technically, it is. But, it would fall under the catagory of collectible card games(or C.C.G. for short). However, with the utilisation of dice and charts, it would seem to be a cross between C.C.G.'s and the old fighting fantasy books I had when I was young.
I recognise the company name Avalon hill. They are known to produce RPG material.

MistressValerie said:

I use the computer verision of APBA baseball...but still have my card sets!

I play good old pen and paper RPGs. D&D and d20 Modern are mostly what I play. I've also done quite a bit of d20 Star Wars and the old LUG Star Trek RPG. Yeah. I'm a nerd, but they're so much fun!

Sammi-chan said:
I play good old pen and paper RPGs. D&D and d20 Modern are mostly what I play. I've also done quite a bit of d20 Star Wars and the old LUG Star Trek RPG. Yeah. I'm a nerd, but they're so much fun!

Hehe, d20 Modern is interesting. It's not my favourite, but some of the pictures in the book are just so hillarious. And now that you mention Star Trek, it reminds me of an old game called Starfleet Battles. Quite fun, and it's basically an RPG too. Except you control a ship more often than a person.

I play a D&D, and currently I am preparing a HUGE campagin for my players, as I am DM in 97.5% of the cases(and I mean HUGE - the first city itself has 25 quests, and that is just a warm-up).

well...

I try... my friend usually gets mad when I make weird characters, like my Gnome Barbarian, Traye Dengo. Man he was so cool, A 16 for STR, so when he went enraged, 20 STR 😀

Man that was cool.

Gallicus said:
Hehe, d20 Modern is interesting. It's not my favourite, but some of the pictures in the book are just so hillarious. And now that you mention Star Trek, it reminds me of an old game called Starfleet Battles. Quite fun, and it's basically an RPG too. Except you control a ship more often than a person.

I think I know what you're talking about. It was the one from FASA that had the little ship minis and used a hex-board, right?

Sammi-chan said:
I think I know what you're talking about. It was the one from FASA that had the little ship minis and used a hex-board, right?

Bingo! That's it. 🙂 I have such a desire to play that game again. The last time I played it I was a lot younger and played a dumbed-down version of it. Basically just firing weapons and destroying other ships. Now I know there was a lot more to it than just that.

I'm a seasoned veteran GM of the White Wolf systems, "The World Of Darkness" with titles like Vampire the Masquerade and Werewolf the Apocalypse. My favorite one to run is Changeling the Dreaming since it lets me get away with complete and total nonsense, madness and cartoon physics.

I've been roleplaying since I was a wee lad, maybe 11 or 12. Back then I too was a D&D guy. One of my favorite characters I played was Figgy the champion Dwarf tossing Ogre. He would literally hurl screaming dwarves at his enemies....LOL....

I also had the chance to play Rifts once or twice in college. I believe I was a "coalition dog boy", basically a humanoid dog man based off a german shepard. I think his name was "Luger". One thing really funny about him though was he was a former drug-sniffing hound who was basically terminated for developing a drug habit....

I always come up with VERY unique characters....remind me to tell you about Jojo the Hunchbacked Clown sometime....

DORKS UNITE! YEAH!!!! 😛

Last edited:
I was running WFRP for a couple of years. Now I do not play much as I would want to -__-

Last edited:
Cheshire_Cat_21 said:
I'm a seasoned veteran GM of the White Wolf systems, "The World Of Darkness" with titles like Vampire the Masquerade and Werewolf the Apocalypse. My favorite one to run is Changeling the Dreaming since it lets me get away with complete and total nonsense, madness and cartoon physics.

Have you played the new World of Darkness? White Wolf released it, oh, about 5 months ago now. It VASTLY improves on the old White Wolf system. Gone is the cumbersome combat. Gone is the near impossibility of finding the rules in the core books. Gone is the non-existant index at the end of said books. New WW has fixed just about every problem old WW had. It can also be a lot of fun just using the World of Darkness book for a few sessions. My friends and I used it for 2 months before our characters became vampires. Unfortunately, as of now, only Vampire: the Requiem is realeased as an addition. It's pretty balanced too. Coils of the Blood are a bit overpowered though.

I've heard Mage is next on the list for production. After that will probobly be Werewolf.

Last edited:
TheChameleon said:
I try... my friend usually gets mad when I make weird characters, like my Gnome Barbarian, Traye Dengo. Man he was so cool, A 16 for STR, so when he went enraged, 20 STR 😀

Man that was cool.

I usually encourage players to play unusual chars, whether in behaviour or unusual builds. That's what makes it all more fun.

One interesting thing to do is base your character on yourself. It works quite well in White Wolf games since the setting is generally modern. The Vampire game I'm in now I am actually playing myself -- well, was, until my character was turned into a vampire. I just tried playing as "if this really happened to me, how would I react". It was quite fun actually. I also based stats off what I pictured I'd be in the game mechanics (within reason or within the rules... it was harder to do in WW for this part.. but it could be a lot easier in D&D).

What's New

9/20/2024
Clips4Sale offers the most tickling clips in one place on the entire web.
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back