• If you would like to get your account Verified, read this thread
  • The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Computer Genius Needed (Security patch question)

MistressValerie1

Administrator
Hi, tech genius people ... is there anyone who knows if the Microsoft security patch 828035 (Workstation/Messenger exploit) is associated with crashes of Windows Explorer (explorer.exe)? I had some problems after installing it, but they may have been caused by some Active-X controls from pcpitstop.com which I installed the same day. I removed BOTH the patch and the Active-X's and have had no problems for 11 days, so I have just reinstalled the patch and am nervously watching it ...

Thanks in advance,

um im not really a techie but from what research i did online about it. i f ound NO website really that talked about the 828035 patch. Being associated with Windows explorer(explorer.exe) at all

But maybe someone could tell you more about yes or no on this. But from what i have read NO its not Valerie

That may not help you

But i tried atleast🙂

Ouch, beware the dreaded Active-X's, Valerie. They can turn your machine into a worthless pile of parts if you get a bad one. It was more than likely them.

Thanks guys for the info 🙂 When I checked at Microsoft's newsgroup, I couldn't find anything about the patch either, but I did find an article in their Knowledge Base stating that "third-party performance monitoring software" can cause crashes, so it was, indeed, most likely the PC Pitstop Active-X controls.

Happy tickling,

I recently downloaded a freeware prog called SpywareBlaster, that I use in conjunction with SpyBot Search & Rescue (also freeware). Used together, they 'immunize' your system against bad Active X controls...supposedly, and of course, Spyware. I also have Ad-Aware6 (not freeware) to cover what the others may miss. All I can say is that I try to run these progs at least twice a week. So far they have not failed me, and I have not had any probs with any of them crashing my system (OS = XP Pro), if you wish to try them out. Actually, my system has NEVER crashed, but I've only had it less than a year so far. In addition, I also use Norton System Works Utilities to keep the registry clean and in order.

I'm very big on security programs and utilities, and am looking into the Anonymizer Privacy Manager at the mo.

Other useful utilities I've found and use are East-Technologies 'Eraser Pro' file shredder (for those of you that don't know, when you delete a file, it doeasn't REALLY get deleted by Windows...hence Eraser Pro, which erases a file beyond recovery), and Executive Softwares 'Diskeeper 8.0', which is a great disc defragger, that works better and faster than the Windows built in utility. They have versions that are OS specific, from W98, all the way up to Enterprise and Server editions (for example, the Home version will not work on XP Pro, but the Pro version will work on XP Home. Why?...I don't know, unless it has something to do with the NTFS that NT, W2K, and XP Pro work on; but I have both versions now anyway, because they sent me the wrong disc initially, and didn't ask me to send the Home version back), so if you download it, be sure that the version you are getting is the right one for YOUR Operating System.

All of the progs that I mentioned that are not freeware do have trial versions available if you wish to try them out for yourselves.

I'm no tech wizard either, but I hope some of the above helps ALL of you.

Hi, Storm Cat, and thanks for the info! Spyware Blaster sounds especially interesting, to prevent one from inadvertently installing a bad Active-X.

I also am interested in Internet security, and I post at some of the firewall and security forums (but not with this screen name, of course, LOL).

I don't know if this is within your (or anyone else here's) expertise, but someone advised me that having Microsoft VM enabled can cause problems with Active-X controls. I have VM enabled (default setting) as well as an old version of Java (1.3.1), and am wondering how, or if, I should upgrade. (XP Home, SP 1a).

Thanks again,

What's New

9/21/2024
Visit the TMF Welcome forum and take a second to say hello to us!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back