• If you would like to get your account Verified, read this thread
  • The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Concerning our collage system.

Rox_My_Sox1

3rd Level Orange Feather
Okay, so, I'll keep this short and as confidential as I can. My BBBFF (aka big brother best friend forever) decided after graduation from high school that he'd like to try and become either a psychiatrist or a psychologist. To become either (in most states) requires a bachelors, a masters, and a PHD. Now, that was 14 years ago. He has STRUGGLED through the masters level and was merely two years away from getting his PDF. Here's where things get really unfair.

He failed his comprehension exam a second time. The collage immediately without even blinking an eye KICKED HIM OUT. Now he's saddled with $300,000+ in collage debt and about 4 years of work after getting his masters has gone down the drain. I do not think this is morally or ethically right to be honest. I think this collage owes him a hell of alot more than just a swift kick to the butt out the door. Have any of you had an experience like this? If so, is there any advice you could give?

I've heard two similar instances from friends of friends. Both their situations sound similar. 4-6 years of schooling, failing out on a high level test and then getting kicked out, still saddled with student debt.

One is working a waitress job (while having a bachelor's degree in teaching(?)) and I don't even know what happened to the other.

The entire schooling system is pretty broken. As well as unfriendly to anyone who can't just pay for classes. I hope your friend is able to recover and try again. 🙁

Sorry to hear this, its a different scene here in the uk but some factors are similar.

The systems always seem geared towards the better off, and the working classes find it harder and harder to progress.

I have heard of people here doing a change of direction after getting a phd and wanting to be a bio chemist one guy done a bridging course and went into accountancy.

Sometimes part time or temporary posts offer the the answer and enable a person to obtain skills in a different field.

This is of little help to you, but i'am sure that many people must be in this situation, a lot of profiles list the occupation as "student" this being the case, i'am amazed more people havn't responded.

The education system is severely broken on all levels. I cannot even begin to tell you some of the horror stories I heard while studying to get my degree in Adolescent Education. (I managed to get all of my required credits for my Associates', but have taken time off from school after finishing those two years. If I wind up going back, I'm going to be pursuing a different degree.)

I can only give you my own story, which might not be the same situation. When I attending university the first time around, I was at an art school, in the writing department. (It was, at the time, called "Writing for Publication, Performance, and Media" but was shortened to simply "Writing".) I was on the poetry track, and made it all the way through the first semester of my junior year. I was going to class and doing an internship and, up until the end of that semester, doing work-study for (if I remember correctly) 20 hours a week. I was pretty well set! Then I found out, halfway through the second semester of my junior year, that I wasn't a registered student. See, I thought they had made a mistake when my one professor noticed (late in the semester) that I wasn't on his roster, and maybe they'd put me in the other studio class instead. I went to fix it, and I thought it was taken care of, but there was some sort of block. Turns out there was a problem with financial aid--half the money showed up, half didn't because of a form I was supposed to submit (but, surprise, NEVER ACTUALLY RECEIVED), so the first half of the money was sent back & I wasn't ever registered as being a student. I was told HALFWAY THROUGH THE SEMESTER, by my RA who knocked on my door and told me she'd received a notice from housing that I was moving out & had to be out by the end of the week. I spoke to housing, but there was nothing that could be done--it was too late in the semester to register. So I moved home, took some time off of school (because I was contemplating a leave of absence after that semester anyway, as my health had taken a turn for the worse), and tried to figure out my life. When I applied to the community college (where I went and got my Associates), I found out that I couldn't transfer credits from this university. I couldn't access my transcript, either. I had no proof that I went there. Why? Oh, because there was a block on my account. If I wanted access to my credits, I had to pay off the balance on my account. That balance, even though I've been making payments, is still over $10,000. They hold my credits for 7 years after I leave. It's already been 4 years and there is no way I am going to be able to pay off that money in time to access my transcript. Oh, and did I mention I was a second semester junior? Yeah. Fun times. (I'm not bitter, or anything...)

The good news is my brother has just now told us he has about 8 interviews lined up at companies for positions completely unrelated to psychology but with salaries of $95,000 and up! Looks like that masters degree might actually pay off. Also, ticklewolf89? What that awful collage did to you was downright CRIMINAL! May you get justice one day (either that or may the president of that university choke to death on a thousand scorpions).

The good news is my brother has just now told us he has about 8 interviews lined up at companies for positions completely unrelated to psychology but with salaries of $95,000 and up! Looks like that masters degree might actually pay off. Also, ticklewolf89? What that awful collage did to you was downright CRIMINAL! May you get justice one day (either that or may the president of that university choke to death on a thousand scorpions).

Ah, I'm glad to hear that! Sending all of my good-luck wishes & positive vibes his way. It's been long enough that I've dealt with it, for the most part, but there is still some bitterness there. I really did spend a week talking to professors and my adviser about leaving, and after telling my parents I was going to stick it out 'til Spring Break & then see how I felt, literally RIGHT AFTER that conversation, my RA knocked on my door. So in a weird way, maybe I was supposed to leave...I know my health and happiness have definitely improved since leaving. I just wish it didn't happen the way it did! I'm working in a job I love, I have amazing friends and a great support system, and I'm still in touch with people from school. If I wanted to go back to school to pursue a degree in writing, I could. I'd rather be thankful that I'm still here today than waste my time getting too worked up over what happened four years ago, as upsetting as it is.

As far similar experiences? When I was pursuing my paramedic's license, I ultimately didn't pass, roughly... say 60% into the course. The whole thing was 8 grand. (Pales in comparison, I know. Just mentioning it as a number). The way you fail is on a retest of an exam, and the failing grade in these programs in anything less than 85%. Well, my program anyway.

I had to take that one on the chin, and it sucked. That was a lot of my time and and a lot of (relative to my age) money down the drain.

But that being said, one way or another I ended up in my current field and bounced back pretty quick. Your homeboy doesn't necessarily have to change paths, he just needs to keep at it in spite of however shitty his situation presents itself to him. Like Grandpa FireFox always said, "If you're going through hell, keep fuckin' goin. Now let's go feed some ducks!"

As far similar experiences? When I was pursuing my paramedic's license, I ultimately didn't pass, roughly... say 60% into the course. The whole thing was 8 grand. (Pales in comparison, I know. Just mentioning it as a number). The way you fail is on a retest of an exam, and the failing grade in these programs in anything less than 85%. Well, my program anyway.

I had to take that one on the chin, and it sucked. That was a lot of my time and and a lot of (relative to my age) money down the drain.

But that being said, one way or another I ended up in my current field and bounced back pretty quick. Your homeboy doesn't necessarily have to change paths, he just needs to keep at it in spite of however shitty his situation presents itself to him. Like Grandpa FireFox always said, "If you're going through hell, keep fuckin' goin. Now let's go feed some ducks!"

Oh gosh, that has to be frustrating. I'm glad you were able to bounce back! Sometimes I think the lucky ones in these situations wind up finding something they like better than what they were going for. 😛 Also, I kind of want to get that ending quote printed on a tee shirt and wear it everywhere...

They make you pay for it!?

As for this whole thread... I mean no disrespect, but it's humorous that the entire thing starts with a misspelling of college. I've been to college myself, but I've never been to collage. I once made a collage but I was too young at the time, it wasn't when I was in college.

Last edited:
As for this whole thread... I mean no disrespect, but it's humorous that the entire thing starts with a misspelling of college. I've been to college myself, but I've never been to collage. I once made a collage but I was too young at the time, it wasn't when I was in college.

Typos happen to the best of us hun. ^_~

What's New

9/19/2024
The TMF Archives hold colections of our communities creators work, take a look!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back