• If you would like to get your account Verified, read this thread
  • The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Deleted Facebook

PAINTEDakiGREEN

TMF Poster
Finally I have deleted my Facebook account.

Many people have had enough of the drama and torment of only thinking about Facebook and they threaten to deactivate it, yet they rarely follow through. I am proud to say that I have.

My reason for leaving: it takes up so much time in my life where I should be playing the guitar or studying. I have two papers due tomorrow and I kept putting them off by getting on Facebook.

As for distractions, I'll force myself to be more creative.
Use the force, Crystal!

Facebook is a distraction? Personally I think its a big piece of shit, pardon my crude language. There is nothing to do there, nothing to achieve, only thing it is good is treating people like pokemon whom you need 'to collect them all'.

I use facebook just for one reason... its great online calender for birthdays, cause I am bad with dates.

I only have a Facebook account because certain people and/or organizations can ONLY be reached through it (newsflash to those people: Facebook is NOT the web, any more than Google is). I log in, I do what I have to do, try (largely successfully) to avoid getting sucked in and then get out. One person tried to get me to play "Farmville" or whatever it is. Nice person, but I flatly refused to get sucked into that quicksand pit.

Actually, it's social networking sites in general that have sponged up more of my time than I care to think about (no offense intended, TT folks. You're good people, but I've got offline work to do too!)

Facebook is pretty addicting, so thankfully I've mastered the art of not looking at it every five minutes whenever I'm supposed to be doing work. It's a cool website to browse through when you just need to burn a few free minutes though, and catching up on the lives of friends you don't see often is nice.

...or you could just use it to find people with unfortunate names.

It has its uses but needs to be used with caution, common sense is the solution, use just to keep contact with the people you know but are too far away to visit, but don't let it control your life, its not the be all end all of the internet.

I enjoy the time I spend on Facebook, but the key is to not let it take over your life.

I sign on in the morning before work and spend about 15 minutes or so reviewing my friends' posts, and then shut down.

I sign on after work, send some messages, and read my friends' posts again. That's it. I don't play any of those "dumb" games like "Mafia Wars" or whatever else there is.

I'm pretty sure everyone above covered it, but I'll add my 2 cents in for giggles...

after making it through the initial facebook wave (4, maybe 5 years ago) when it was just college stuff, then the second wave of it being open to everyone, I finally broke down and got one because 3 good friends absolutely refused to use any form of email/i-m/etc to communicate outside of that site. granted, I've reconnected with several friends I haven't spoken to in years, but for the most part, the place just makes me want to headbutt a wall for quite some time.

I've never played any "games" on there, have updated my status maybe twice, and wall post as little as possible. I basically treat it like another email account, I use the private messages and i-m (which sucks hardcore) on there. in fact, I even routed the i-m through my aim so that I can be there even LESS than I already was.

when the next fad of keeping everyone in touch comes along, I'm really hoping it doesn't irritate me nearly as much. so in summary: major thumbs up, miss Painted! bring home some A's on those papers!

I wouldn't've known about when or where my 10 year reunion was going to be w/out it.

Finally I have deleted my Facebook account.

Many people have had enough of the drama and torment of only thinking about Facebook and they threaten to deactivate it, yet they rarely follow through. I am proud to say that I have.

My reason for leaving: it takes up so much time in my life where I should be playing the guitar or studying. I have two papers due tomorrow and I kept putting them off by getting on Facebook.

As for distractions, I'll force myself to be more creative.
Use the force, Crystal!

"like!"

I deleted mine about six months ago, and I have been free ever since. I see the sun again. I don't fear people seeing my status and breaking into my house or ambushing me in dark corners. Please, enjoy your new found freedom and peace!

Bashiku: I completely agree it being the same as Pokemon. And there's Google Calendar that my father got my whole family into, so we're pretty good with keeping up with one another on that. 🙂

Kopfhorner: Getting sucked in didn't seem like it would happen at first, then it all kind of took over, I suppose. Not just with me, but with most of my friends.

Konig: It is only deactivated, but my friend went online and said that I no longer showed up, which was one thing I was aiming at. 🙁

Shift: I'd rather be bored for a few minutes, frankly. Because those few minutes, for me, I'd have thought of something more spectacular than Facebook before it was around...

Hazel: I'm trying to focus on other, good aspects of the internet like this forum ^_^ and my email (for more than Facebook updates) and my awesome blog. That sort of sucks..

Weller: I'm glad you enjoy it, at least.

Triple: I, in fact, so far have an A- in my psych class, and a B in my Intro to Computers class. Thank you very much. :3

Breygon: I'm really glad you found that. It's a good use for Facebook at least.

tffan: I don't know whether to laugh or playfully glare. I'm doing a mixture of both right now.

I love facebook, but I don't have internet at my apartment really so that helps with the distraction element of it as I can't go on as often as I might like to.

That said, it looks like TT has become your new distraction lol

I could never delete my Facebook account. Having graduated from high school, the only socialization that I get is on FB, and there's a lot of important people from my school days on there (including former crushes, some of which I apparently dodged a bullet on, but I won't get into that).

MySpace is a different story: 1. people seem to have abandoned it in 2008 or 2009. 2. MySpace demanded that I "upgrade my browser" or be unable to view any part of the website. That second one was the last straw.

As for Twitter, I tried that for all of two seconds. When I saw that I couldn't create a profile, I said screw that, and deleted my account immediately.

Oh, and I do have an e-mail account, but... I can't get anybody to e-mail me these days. That's too old-fashioned for some people, I guess. :lol

I'm disappointed, Aki.

You said you deleted it, but I went and looked...

That turdbox is still there! Can't someone send Facebook to the same shitbin that garbage like RealPlayer, America Online, Angelfire, and Tripod went to?

Please?

I mean... I miss America Online and I never used it.

But at least back then people used IMs instead of this fucktastically useless "social networking" bullshit.

Why so much hate for that site? 🙂
How different is the social interaction there, from logging into this forum every week?

I think its great for keeping in touch with various groups of people in your life. Anything you don't like about it you can either ignore or block. You can block almost all pages and applications. And to be honest, if you get dumb and boring updates from people, it just means you haven't used the "ignore' feature enough. Click 'ignore [Person]'s updates' for those who are regularly boring or publish dumb stuff, and you're left with those you care about, or those who actually make either interesting comments.

Here are examples of how I use facebook in my personal life:

* Use it to plan, execute and then get feedback on a social events:
-- I Publish plans for a get together (usually a dedicated event page, but sometimes just ask "Who's free for beer?")
-- People RSVP using the site, and the event page is used to chat about where we meet and who brings what
-- After the event people share photos, and tag each other. Interesting photos get conversations going so the there's an "after event" chatter.

* Discover new stuff
-- My actual friends sometimes publish music, books, art or books they like.
-- I'm friends with local clubs and pubs, so I get invitations to live shows or various events they have
-- I'm friends with local bands I like, so I get invitations to their live performances

* Ask and give advice
-- Personal advice (anyone knows how to do X or where to buy Y or which brand is best)
-- Professional advice (many of my friends are in my field of profession)
-- Believe it or not: Job offers.

* Politics and civil life
-- Publish a links to news stories and discuss them
-- Comment about political events and argue over them.
-- My city hall has a dedicated account publishing stuff going on in the city and new projects. I comment with my ideas and sometimes criticism. My ideas are heard by a large public.
-- The same is possible for politicians though I haven't done this yet.

Of course nothing of this can replace "real life". But the beauty of it that it doesn't. It complements it. I use facebook to expand and enrich my real life, and both to keep in contact with friends, and be involved in things I rarely have time for (letting the mayor know what I think.

Many friends I haven't met in ages, and would have surely lost contact with, but we keep having discussions and share jokes or ideas, instead of drifting apart.

Last edited:
Jamie: I'll try better next time. Sorries. *pouts*
Idiot: That seems to sum it up.
powerT: I agree with that, but I believe some people are meant to be in your life for a time, and not to stay there for ages... I don't want to know my ex's new gf's, or things about my cousins if I'm not important enough for them to tell by calling. I don't know if that makes it seem like I've got a stick up my butt, but it's how I feel.

I keep my site to post pics. And ... *sigh*....farmville

What's New

9/20/2024
Clips4Sale offers the most tickling clips in one place on the entire web.
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back