• If you would like to get your account Verified, read this thread
  • The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Don't You Hate How Some People Say That All Asians Are The Same??

JimBoy

TMF Regular
The other day my Japanese friend from college came by to visit. The next day one of my other friends asks me who is this Chinese person I've been hanging out with and I answered "He's not Chinese he's Japanese".

My friend answered "Eh whatever, Chinese, Japanese... it's all the same" I then said "Well using that logic the English, French, German, Italian... it's all the same. Do you see how stupid that sounds?" and he didn't have an answer and gave me a blank look.

I hate how people still think this way when it comes to Asians.

Yeah

They do the same with us, people would go oh he's Cuban, then actually he is El Salvadorian, to people who don't know, Cubans are either white or of mixed African and European ancenstry, most Mexicans and El Salvadorians are either Nican Tlaca (Indian) or Mestizo (Mixed Indian and European).

The culture and cuisine is different too, so is the music.

Stereotypes amaze me

My ex-wife was Japanese. The last thing you want to do is confuse a Japanese person for a Chinese or Korean. So yes I do understand the anger that Asians feel about this. It is not difficult to see the differences between the nationalities, the languages and other items.

It really falls to laziness. I am not going to say racism, it's laziness. People don't care to learn about other cultures. I am not a big multiculturalist, but people should open their eyes and learn about the world around them.

I think I'll feel more annoyed about confusing Asians for one another when I stop hearing all caucasians being lumped together. Doesn't matter the package, most people just don't care to learn the differences.

I concur--it's ignorant...

The other thing that REALLY pisses me off: Calling a person of Asian descent "Oriental"...

The term "Oriental" describes inanimate objects...for example, an Oriental Rug...

People are Asian...

Oy vey...I was the only "Non-Asian" person in an Asian club at my high school back in the day...in fact, I was an officer...and stereotypes like the one this thread describes really burn me up...

It annoys me when I hear that people say that asians are the most ticklish and stuff. I hate when people assume blacks are violent because of their skin color. I also hate it whenpeople beat up my mexican or salvadoreasn friends because they assume they are eother a) taking their jobs or b) [part of a gang.

However, I seriously hate it when People from Asian countries assume I can't pronounce their name correctly, because I'm american. To my credit, I surprise them every friggin time. 😀

As a Pacific Islander, I'm constantly barraged by "people" doing that act:
Behaving like a bungling, docile oriental, bowing, saying "Oh, so sorry" and "Ah So"
with an accent. As well as being called "jap" or "chink".
What really gets to me is some of these "people are also people of color or race that are maligned and slighted and shown prejudice.
I guess, arrogance, ignorance, and inconsideration go hand in hand with people.
It is really upsetting when these same people DEMAND respect, but show little to others.

J😛aw:

I see your point

I think I'll feel more annoyed about confusing Asians for one another when I stop hearing all caucasians being lumped together. Doesn't matter the package, most people just don't care to learn the differences.

I think we all need to be more aware, but I agre with you people shouldn't do that with Europeans as well. I think the term Caucasian is a misnomer as well as it refers to Cherkess, Chechnyans and Georgians. European would actually be a better term.

But I agree there are many different kinds of Europeans, just a comparison of Irish vs English culture, Italians vs Russian, etc and you can see loads of differences, at the end of the day we are all on one giant ball going woo and its our house, we all live here, we need to understand each other and learn from each other. Whether you're white, black, amerind (hi), west asian, east asian, etc.

Well, I for one will be alot happier when the Pacific Rim nations aren't so blatantly interested in our Presidential Erections. It's unnatural and unhealthy, and I can't see how they could possibly have a thing to do with...

..what?..

Oh.

Never mind...

eh, I usually don't bother to learn all the big differences, as long as I get the basic idea right. Black, White, Asian, Latino, whatever else I can't remember. People are so different that classifying them as Chinese or Japanese or whatever is totally pointless anyway, so who cares if it's right or wrong. I know I wouldn't care if someone mistook me for Canadian or Australian or someone from a European nation.

Problem is alot of cultures differ, for instance calling a Polish dude German would really anger him. Similarly, if you are Latino, its not racial, it can mean Black, white, Amerind or a mixture of any of those.

When people say Asian again they also generalise, somone from India or Persia differs markedly from someone from China or Korea.

I am often asked whether I am Chinese or Japanese. When I reply "Cambodian," I am usually asked whether that is Chinese, or Japanese. Fortunately, I find it hilarious! I also have an elderly neighbour who refers to me as "that nice Chinese girl from Cambodia" 😀

Some of the confusion is because part of Vietnam was called "Cochin China" and most of Southeast Asia was at one time called "French Indochina." In the UK, "Asian" usually means "South Asian" (Indian, Pakistani), but in the US it means "East Asian." I'm not offended by people who don't know the difference, but I appreciate when people get it right 🙂

I also have an elderly neighbour who refers to me as "that nice Chinese girl from Cambodia" 😀

Damn! I always thought Burkina Fasoans lived in Cambodia. Boy, was I wrong...

Well, on the rare occasions when I see an 'asian' person and talk to them (there are almost none here), I usually ask where they are from just for information. I never assume that they are Korean, Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, Taiwanese, Cambodian, or whatever. I believe it's polite enough to ask them where they are from.

And yes, about them looking alike... not true.

Agreed there, once again if you compare South Asians and Arabs with say someone from Sibera, there is distinctly large difference. Not even to speak of Religion, Culture, Languages and music.

warning...disclaimer....non sensical post coming up forthwith..if this isn't your cup of tea..i suggest you pass me by..

i hate the stereotypes against my state..West Virginia..all redneck, gun totin, tobaccy chewin, barefoot, eting road kill, usin outdoor plumbin, intermarriage, no tooths, coal mine workin hicks....

I'm in a wheelchair, and I get the "retard" stereotype a lot. I usually make fun of people that ignorant though---but I know it pisses my friends and family off greatly 😀

~K

A big problem with many in the US is lack of familiarity. Until I went to college, my high school was all white except for one (insert your favorite term for people of an African heritage..😉 ) family.

Many just aren't observant enough to look at the differences. I had a friend in college from Laos that was Hmong. The only thing I could tell by looking at him was the region of Asia he was from, but not the specifics. I try to be obsevant as I can, but often will either just ask in some form or fashion. I know a lot of the Asian ones from all the medical residents I work with, but would still be clueless on many of the South American/Central American groups, again just due to lack of familiarity.

So, just bear with some of us Southern white males and the rest. It's not that we're ignorant, we're still learning like the rest of ya...😉

I am often asked whether I am Chinese or Japanese. When I reply "Cambodian," I am usually asked whether that is Chinese, or Japanese. Fortunately, I find it hilarious! I also have an elderly neighbour who refers to me as "that nice Chinese girl from Cambodia" 😀

Some of the confusion is because part of Vietnam was called "Cochin China" and most of Southeast Asia was at one time called "French Indochina." In the UK, "Asian" usually means "South Asian" (Indian, Pakistani), but in the US it means "East Asian." I'm not offended by people who don't know the difference, but I appreciate when people get it right 🙂

oh i know where your coming from, my best friend is also Cambodian, and people from around Cambodia and Vietnam region look alot different to me than any other peoples, so i don't see why people get them confused.

but stereotypes run rampant these days, everyone has it that way.

I don't like it when anyone is lumped together.

For me, it's my weight. I'm fat so I must smell bad, eat all the time, be lazy and stupid.

Right. >.<

Stereotypes kill.

haha! me and my azn friend laugh about this kinda shit all the time. we always end up quoting that mad tv skit about the "average asian guy" lol he doesnt get offended by the stereotype at all, he thinks its hilarious. such a cool guy!

Do you post the same topics here and TMF?

I think he does, and I'm glad he does, as I only pop over there once a month or so anymore. He's got a knack for coming up with good conversation-starter threads. Sometimes, sadly, they turn contentious, but other times, they make for some of the best threads on the board(s).

What's New

9/19/2024
The TMF Archives hold colections of our communities creators work, take a look!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back