• If you would like to get your account Verified, read this thread
  • The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Drew Carey new Price Is Right Host

The end is near... 😛

Drew's not bad but then again, I automatically compare him to Barker and when it came to pure charisma, Barker trumped all. Drew's gotta get off to the right foot and establish a rapport with fans.

He's kind of a bland, forgettable guy, so the fit is right. But I can't imagine it's a good career trajectory for him, is it? He used to have his own generally well-regarded sitcom, and now he's turning into Louie Anderson? Or worse, Bert Convy?

Surely O'Donnell was never a serious contender for the job. She's not nearly vanilla enough.

I like this choice. I think that he do well with the role. I just wonder if all the ladies will run up and kiss Drew in the same way they did Bob. You women do enjoy the roly poly types on occasion.

I was in the Anybody But Rosie bracket. Her shtick is just too much.

He's kind of a bland, forgettable guy, so the fit is right. But I can't imagine it's a good career trajectory for him, is it? He used to have his own generally well-regarded sitcom, and now he's turning into Louie Anderson? Or worse, Bert Convy?

Surely O'Donnell was never a serious contender for the job. She's not nearly vanilla enough.

Louie Anderson was just annoying. He killed Family Fued. He tanked because he's a one-trick pony. I can see Drew keeping a steady course for the Price Is Right. As for career move, how in the heck is this bad? He'll become a staple afternoon personality. A steady paycheck until he retires. The Fued never got over the loss of Richard Dawson. Comparing Fued to the Price is Right just doesn't work.

Did anybody here used to watch Acceptable.TV on VH1? It was kinda like a skit show. Anyway, they had one, kind of making fun of The Price Is Right, where the new host and trying to go on with the game and the audience and announcer are just breaking his balls.i wonder if Drew's first show will be as awkward as that. Hope not.

Did anybody here used to watch Acceptable.TV on VH1? It was kinda like a skit show. Anyway, they had one, kind of making fun of The Price Is Right, where the new host and trying to go on with the game and the audience and announcer are just breaking his balls.i wonder if Drew's first show will be as awkward as that. Hope not.

LOL, never saw that one. For a one-episode transition to the new host that could a fun diversion. Then afterwards they would have to get back to business.

I think he will fit in well and serve as the host of The Price Is Right for a long time.

As for career move, how in the heck is this bad? He'll become a staple afternoon personality. A steady paycheck until he retires.

Yeah, that's what I mean. Seems like this is maybe where a tired comic goes to die.

a1532b, Buckeye represent! Considering the available pool of talent, who would do better than Drew? He adlibs, he has done ensemble shows and misc comedy before... will he deal with the randomness/craziness of the typical PIR contestant, that's the question. More power to him. Dan Rather lasted 24 years (or close) after replacing Cronkite, and they said he'd never last. So we'll see.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's what I mean. Seems like this is maybe where a tired comic goes to die.

I understand the point but I have to disagree. If you see hosting a game show as not legit, then we'll be going in circles here. I don't really see it as a bad thing. A game show host is a legit job. Drew Carey was never going to be an A-line celebrity. He was not going to be headlining blockbuster movies. He had a run of fame and got his own TV Show. It wasn't going to last. Fame is a fleeting thing. Now the Price is Right is a cultural phenomena. Being the host of it, if he is successful, would grant him an iconic status, like Bob Barker. The Price is Right is one of the longest running shows on TV. Its not going anywhere.

As for Bert Convy he was a member of the game show community for a long time before becoming a host. He was a singer / broadway actor. He became a game show panelist during the time when it was considered a big thing in the golden years of game shows. There were only three networks, no cable or internet. That exposure literally brought you into the living room of America. So you can't really fault Convy for making that decision.

Unfortunately for Convy America suffered game show burnout in the 80's thanks to a glut of shows that oversatured the market. He didn't stoop to take the job of a cheesy game show host. The landscape and attitude just changed around him.

He had a run of fame and got his own TV Show. It wasn't going to last. Fame is a fleeting thing.

Actually, it sounds like we're exactly in agreement: all I was saying was that the Price Is Right gig reflected a downward trajectory in Drew Carey's career, and in the above it sounds like you're saying the same thing. I do believe we're on the same page, sir.

An addition to my previous post on this -

The reason why I don't think he will be successful is that he comes nowhere near the charisma that Barker oozed: many people got tickets to the P.I.R. just to see him since the chances of getting picked were slim. He was good in his show but he had a cast of wingmates that supported his comedic self. He wasn't bad when he took the reins of Whose Line Is It Anyway but that went down too. That being said I can only think of one person on CBS who has a fair amount of charisma but no where near the league of Barker and that would be David Letterman.

Will Carey be successful or will he flounder? Find out, NEXT TIME! 😛

I was initially surprised by the choice for the new host...but, after thinking about it, he really fits the bill. He's funny, consistent, and he has the "little old lady appeal" that will restore the joy for all of my patients who scheduled their day around The Price Is Right...I'm curious to see how the show changes, if at all, with Drew at the reigns. I have always been a fan of his...love me some "Who's Line is it Anyway?"...

Concerning Drew Carey's charisma we really haven't seen him as the host yet. We know what his character was like and his act, but I don't really think we've seen him on his own. Bob Barker was good at ad libbing that's what made him good. I don't see Barker as more charismatic or charming than Carey. Barker wasn't Richard Dawson. I think Drew has a decent shot to succeed.

Wade, I think we do agree up to a point, however, concerning Carey's career move, I still don't see this as a bad thing. When I said that fame was fleeting I didn't mean that Carey was grasping at straws looking for anything. What I meant was that he had capital that he needed to use from his TV Show and Whose Line Is It Anyway. It was time for something new. The Price Is Right is valued brand of CBS, i.e. it's a good gig. Some would say Carey hit paydirt landing it.

Last edited:
The biggest problem Drew will have is the "Legend" syndrome. No one ever likes the one who replaces the legend. They turn into icons the one who replaces the one who replaces the legend...

I wish Drew well. I hope he beats the "Legend Syndrome." I think he's a good choice because he won't be to full of himself or think himself bigger than the show. He's been the 'star' before and knows how to handle it.

Drew Carey!??...really!??...(he says in his best sarcastic voice) 😕 sorry but i don't see it

What's New

9/22/2024
There will be Trivia in our Chat Room this Sunday Eve at 11PM EDT.
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back