• If you would like to get your account Verified, read this thread
  • The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Ever Wonder How The "This Little Piggy..." Tickle Rhyme Started?

JimBoy

TMF Regular
Well here is your answer...

First published in 1728, the deceivingly simple nursery rhyme "This Little Piggy" exemplifies the struggle among the working classes of 18th century England in the face of the imminent mechanization of their society.

The little piggy who goes to the market represents the rising mercantile class in Europe that are growing at an enormously rapid rate.

The little piggy who stays home represents women who were not permitted to join the social structure of late modern Europe. Moreover, this little piggy typifies the "cottage" industry of stay-at-home workers who flourished in the time before the industrial revolution.

The little piggy with roast beef is a member of the landed gentry who had his own cattle and therefore did not need to "go to the market" so to speak.

The little piggy who had none represents the serfs who were tied to the land, kept perpetually in debt and devoid of any hope of social mobility.

The one who went "weee" all the way home, is King Louis XIV of France who invaded his neighboring countries, but was later shut down at the Peace of Utrecht--thus ran all the way home.

Interesting...I've never really thought about it before, but it's good to have a little background on that little rhyme. Maybe from now on, I can give lees a little history lesson while tickling their feet! :super_hap

Hmm... it's always interesting to learn the history behind short (, now stereotyped) stories 🙂
Wonder just where/how the saying, 'kootchie-kootchie coo' came into all that... ??

probably just a noise mothers made to make their babies giggle while inducing laughter through tickling.

Many, if not all nursery rhymes have a stronge historical context relevant to the time they were first composed. However, you do have to be careful when trying to accurately pin them down to a certain historical event or political viewpoint.

That aside - infant amusements the likes of 'this little piggy' have been around since time immemorial ('This Pig Went to the Barn' is an example of another toe-tickling rhyme) - designed purely to entertain squirmy babies and young (and older!! :super_hap ) children.

This is really cool. I didn't know about that. It's always cool to learn the context behind stuff like that. Personally, the one I can never figure out is "Rock A Bye Baby." Have you ever actually listened to the lyrics? A baby falling out of a tree? How's that supposed to help a little kid sleep better? 😵

This is really cool. I didn't know about that. It's always cool to learn the context behind stuff like that. Personally, the one I can never figure out is "Rock A Bye Baby." Have you ever actually listened to the lyrics? A baby falling out of a tree? How's that supposed to help a little kid sleep better? 😵

By reminding them that there's worse places to sleep than in an 18th century lumpy bed?

Jus guessing really...

I'm picky; could you post your source for the info you put up?

Thankee~

What's New

9/20/2024
Clips4Sale offers the most tickling clips in one place on the entire web.
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back