• If you would like to get your account Verified, read this thread
  • The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Favorite three movies from 1990 to 2012?

Rox_My_Sox1

3rd Level Orange Feather
What were your three absolutely most FAVORITE MOVIES that came out between 1990's and 2012? Here's mine:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (THE. FIRST. ONE. NOT SECRETS OF THE OOZE or TURTLES IN TIME [shudder]. Okay, brief history lesson for you youngins. The first Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles came out in 1990 [when I was still but a wee lass] and though it was a MASTERWORK that was NEARLY COMPLETELY FAITHFUL to the comics as well as the cartoon American/European parents were SHOCKED apparently that something so dark could be shown to kids worldwide. So like typical American bullshit the studio got a METRIC SHITLOAD of COMPLAINTS from parents and though NEARLY EVERY KID LOVED THE MOVIE the upset parents caused the next two movies afterwards to COMPLETELY SUCK BALLS! The first one remains the one and ONLY TMNT movie I love and accept, it's dark, gritty, and fun and the turtles are awesome! Shredder kicks ass, the Foot is REALISTIC, and Casey Jones KICKS EVEN MORE ASS. I only had one COMPLAINT and that's how they did April O'Neil. Still, the movie rocked! It had funny lines [like when Michelangelo and Donatello were watching the Loony Toons skit of "the Tortoise and the Hare" and Michelangelo yells, "NINJA KICK THE DAMN RABBIT!], awesome action sequences [Raphael eating an apple while kicking the Foot's ass was pretty cool], and great dialogue and scenery! They even got Splinter's love for his "sons" and the Turtles love for their "father" PERFECTLY! The music was great, the acting was great, the action was great, and they didn't need ANY DAMN SPECIAL EFFECTS other than claymation! PERFECT SCORE PEOPLE!)

Jurassic Park (This movie WILL REMAIN Spielberg's MASTERPIECE throughout THE REST OF KNOWN HUMAN HISTORY! It was great! The actors knew their parts and did them VERY VERY WELL [especially Jeff Goldblum], the dinosaurs were VERY REALISTIC AND VERY SCARY [the T-Rex was especially INTIMIDATING] and the story and plot were very believable! Hammond's actor pulled off the conservative billionaire desperately clinging to his own ideals as the world shoves them back in his face very well. The kids were a bit annoying however but they were at the very least good action actors [or at least their stunt doubles were]. Very good stuff all around.)

I. Robot. (I gotta say, Will Smith pulled off with the old fashioned cop fighting to stay relevant in a world spiraling past his own understanding and acceptance with grace. The dynamic between Smith and the lady who played Dr. Calvin was incredible with Smith trying to bring some old fashioned horse sense into a woman who had next to no knowledge of what life was like before Robots [and ironically trusted them completely]. The ending still sends a shiver down my spine. It may not have been faithful at all to the book but it pulls off a great movie with good effects, good acting, and a good plot. Fun times all around kiddies!)

Last edited:
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Release Date: 1990 - It was the first movie I ever saw in movie theaters. It was awesome!

Schindler's List - Release Date: 1993 - This movie punched me in my soul, yet touched me on a very human level at the same time. No other movie has ever made me feel the same way.

The Big Lebowski - Release Date: 1998 - I just love this movie. Words simply can not do it justice. Go watch this movie. The Dude abides!

Last edited:
I'd have to agree on Jurassic Park, it had everything going for it really. At the time the dinosaurs were mind blowing. To this day actually it still impresses me. And for what seems like an action movie there was a lot of jump out of your seat scares (Samuel Jackson's "reassuring" hand comes to mind)

Second would be Insidious. It's one of the few horror movies of the past decade that really feels like a horror movie. The music is like a throwback to classic horror films building tension. The premise isn't exactly unique but that doesn't exactly bring it down if you like it. And it's not fixated on gore as a scare tactic which is definitely refreshing.

My third would probably be Dark Knight. As much as I loved Begins, the fight scenes in Dark Knight were that much more enjoyable. And Heath Ledger really shined as Joker, which surprised me cause when I first heard he was to play him I was kinda thrown off not thinking he could pull it off but was pleasantly surprised. My only real gripe with the film was the CG work done on Two-Face which to me seemed a bit over the top but really not enough to bog the film down.

I'd also like to give a shout-out to Requiem for a Dream since it was such a dark movie. You really felt for nearly every character in the film and the soundtrack for it was amazing.

Before my list, I'll address a couple that have come before:

- TMNT 1 - That's a movie that, even at the age of 35, gets better every time I watch it, and for most of the reasons that RmS pointed out. As a Leo fan, I still get a bit proud of him when he's the only one to be able to score a hit on Shredder (though it is his life that is threatened almost immediately thereafter).

- Jurassic Park. It's a film you had to see in the theater to get the full effect (and I did). The only complaint I had was...how did no one notice that the T-Rex was in the museum at the end when we'd been shown the whole film that you can hear/feel that sucker coming a million miles away?

- Schindler's List - One of the most -important- works in film ever. I have seen it once. I don't think I could watch it again. I think the impact it had on me was everlasting, and should remain that way.

- The Big Lebowski - I just saw that film for the first time about a year or so ago. The scattering the ashes scene might have been one of the funniest ever. The Cohen Brothers rarely misstep.

Now, to my list:

1) Terminator 2: Judgment Day - "...If a machine - a Terminator - can learn the value of human life...maybe we can, too." Speaking of rarely misstepping, James Cameron is right there. This film built off the previous version, but instead of just a gritty action thriller, we get a gritty action thriller, plus some existential drama, plus some genuine belly laughs, plus a morality play, plus perhaps the best villain since Darth Vader...even all the main characters change from when we meet them in believable ways......there's really nothing to bring this flick down. And I've always been a sucker for Brad Fiedel's score for this.

2) Someone mentioned it - "Requiem for a Dream." Darren Aronofsky doesn't really crank out any stinkers, either. Had I been at the Oscars back in 2000, I would have gone on stage and said, "Yo, Julia, I'm really happy for you, I'ma let you finish, but Ellen Burstyn had one of the best performances of All. TIME!" Just a powerful look at the destructive nature of addiction (be it drugs, or "TELEvision"). Visually and narratively riveting. Clint Mansell's score (and particularly Kronos Quartet's performance) will echo forever. And not just because it has been remixed to death. This was also that film where you went, "Huh. Marlon Wayans can really ACT!"

3) It's tough to come up with a third one. The two above are firmly rooted in place, but no matter what I decide here when I'm done rambling will probably change tomorrow. Tonight, I think I'll go with, "Crimson Tide." "Hunt for Red October" was probably a "better" movie, top to bottom, but I checked my watch at times during that film. I was riveted from titles to credits by "Tide". Denzel Washington and Gene Hackman acted their roles, and particularly their relationship to each other, to perfection. And, ladies, how about a Viggo Mortensen, who really caught fire that year (1995)? Finally, this was the film where Hans Zimmer replaced John Williams in my top spot among film composers, and he's stayed there since.

Last edited:
Goodfellas - My mum has always been a fan of mobster films, and she got me into them at an early age, too. Something about the classic mob films was always interesting, but Goodfellas was something else all together. You know a film is good when you record if off the TV, and THEN go and buy the video just to have a better copy.

Edward Scissorhands - When I was about nine, I rented this film every single time I went into our local video shop (50p a day - bargain). Once, somebody else rented the copy. Not amused. Anyway, this is another film I can just watch over and over. Can you tell I'm not a film critic? I just like them because.

Terminator 2: Judgement Day - Watching this as an eight year old was unforgettable, especially after seeing the first Terminator. The special effects were legendary. Robots! Lasers! The scene where he cuts his own arm-skin off and has a ROBOCLAW!! I review this as an 8 year old because it's how I fell in love.

Honourable mentions go to Robocop and The Warriors, both two of my all-time favourite films that missed out on being on this list for being from different decades.

This post will self-destruct at some point.

I think I need to do another list, only this time limiting it to movies that came out in the past 5 years.

No Country for Old Men
- It was a tough choice over The Dark Night, but ultimately I think Anton is slightly scarier than the Joker. There's also no Batman trying to stop Anton, which makes the movie that much more unnerving.

30 Minutes or Less
- This is the funniest movie I have ever seen! Despite how completely ridiculous the dialog can be, it still manages to be fairly intelligent and does a convincing enough job to make us think this is something that could feasibly happen. A close second was Burn After Reading, but that movie has a half an hour of set up time before things get hilarious, unlike 30 minutes or less which is consistently funny the entire way through.

The Avengers
- This has absolutely everything I ever wanted from a comic book movie! It is fricking fantastic!

1. Brokeback Mountain - Two male sheep herders start a secret relationship that lasts 20 years. So many people (gay & straight) were affected by this movie and the questions raised, mainly how their relationship would've been if society had been different.

2. TransAmerica - A man who is mid-transition to his new life as a woman, finds out that he has a son he never knew about. His therapist tells him she will not recommend him for surgery until he meets his son and close his past, so he can move to his future as a woman.

3. Latter Days - A young gay waiter who is very sexually active finds his new neighbors are young students one their way to become Mormon preachers. A bet is made to see if he can seduce one of them, and a relationship is begun.

Since Smoten went twice (Naughty NAUGHTY Smoten ^_~) I guess it's okay to let everyone post FOUR other movies they thought were the best (you get ONE MORE Smoten...anymore and we shall have to PUNISH YOU)!

Meet Joe Black (1998)-One of Anthony and Brad's best performances as far as I'm concerned. I love the way they portrayed Death. Moving, emotional, and intellectual. Great acting and they didn't even need any special effects!

The Avengers (2012)-BEST. SUPERHERO. MOVIE. EVER! CANNOT WAIT FOR THE SECOND ONE (SERIOUSLY...THANOS IS GONNA BE THE VILLAIN...FREAKING THANOS)!

Terminator 2: Judgement Day (1991)-Really cool movie though I could have done without seeing the asylum staff member sexually molesting Sarah. Never the less, it's an awesome movie.

The Big Lebowski (1998)-Why do I like this movie? BECAUSE I WANT MY RUG BACK! Also, he's the dude! The dudester! The dudareno! And when I remember him and me face down in the dirt in Nam...^_~

I stand by my three. 😛 Goodfellas, Edward Scissorhands, and Terminator 2 were all boss hog. I also dug Titanic, but that's because I was an amazed ten year old watching a movie about a ship sinking spectacularly and it was all BOOM and FWOOSH and everyone was like AAAGH! Also boobs.

Still giving a massive shoutout to my movies from other decades, Robocop and The Warriors.

WAAARRIOOOORS, come out to PLAAAAY-AAAAY!!!

I'll buy that for a dollar!!

(This post was co-written by Jimmy Two-Times)

Avengers
PUNY GOOOOOOD!!!! XDXDXD

Seriously, seeing all these heroes team up was ultra fan-gasm for me. Any of 'em'd make more than decent lers, admit it girls (and some of the guys XD)

And I freaking love Iron Man SO much. He's funny, kick-ass, and he probably did Bruce Banner a world of good by pranking him with that shock poke thing. Cap might've gotten scared, but Tony trusted him not to literally Hulk out. Bruce probably isn't used to being trusted.

Yes, I put a lot of thought into this. I'm a psychologist. Excuse the Stark love tangent >_>

Lethal Weapon 3

Riggs: "I slept with someone I shouldn't have...Sgt Cole"
Roger: "Sgt Cole from Traffic?"
Riggs: "What? No, Lorna! Sgt Cole from Traffic's her UNCLE!"

I rofl HARD every time XD

My Fellow Americans

Jack Lemmon and James Garner are a democrat and a republican who hate each others' guts but have to team up to save America. The one-liners in this one are fantastic.

After jumping off a train:
"THAT was your amber waves of grain?!"
"I think I got a chunk of purple mountain's majesty up my ass o.o "

XDDD

~K

Since Smoten went twice (Naughty NAUGHTY Smoten ^_~) I guess it's okay to let everyone post FOUR other movies they thought were the best (you get ONE MORE Smoten...anymore and we shall have to PUNISH YOU)!

Meet Joe Black (1998)-One of Anthony and Brad's best performances as far as I'm concerned. I love the way they portrayed Death. Moving, emotional, and intellectual. Great acting and they didn't even need any special effects!

The Avengers (2012)-BEST. SUPERHERO. MOVIE. EVER! CANNOT WAIT FOR THE SECOND ONE (SERIOUSLY...THANOS IS GONNA BE THE VILLAIN...FREAKING THANOS)!

Terminator 2: Judgement Day (1991)-Really cool movie though I could have done without seeing the asylum staff member sexually molesting Sarah. Never the less, it's an awesome movie.

The Big Lebowski (1998)-Why do I like this movie? BECAUSE I WANT MY RUG BACK! Also, he's the dude! The dudester! The dudareno! And when I remember him and me face down in the dirt in Nam...^_~

I have a love for so many movies, it was too hard for me to just pick three from the past 22 years when there are so many amazing choices to choose from. There's a lot of frick'n good movies and it's alarmingly difficult narrow them down. Since I only have one more choice, I'm going to break the rules again :devil2: and choose my favorite movie from the 80's.

It just so happens to be a three-way tie between Ghostbusters, Short Circuit and A Fish Called Wanda. I simply can't choose one over the other. They're all fantastic movies that hold significant sentimental childhood memories of mine. If you haven't seen them, I highly recommend watching them. I would also like to know where the hell have you been? Living under a rock? Uncultured heathen! I shake my head in shame at you! :no:

Last edited:
Let's jump right into it.

Snatch (2000)
What can I say? This is one of my favourite films. I absolutely love its presentation and its very colourful and memorable cast. Very funny and quote worthy too. 🙂

Spirited Away (2001)
Miyazaki is legendary, his work is some of the best. And this is probably the one that stands out the most.

Hot Fuzz (2007)
:3

Honourable mentions to The Avengers, The Lord of the Rings Trilogy and Sherlock Holmes. Because why the hell not.

My personal favorites for that time frame were and are; Grumpy Old Men, Grumpier Old Men, and Schindlers List. As far as the first two, Ann Margaret and Sophia Loren are still HOT after all these years! ( I know, I'm showing my age! ) I love in Grumpier Old Men when Sophia Loren dumps all that tomato sauce on Walter Matthau and Jack Lemon. And then Matthau says, "You think we ought to ask her for some garlic bread?" Hysterical!

Let's jump right into it.

Snatch (2000)
What can I say? This is one of my favourite films. I absolutely love its presentation and its very colourful and memorable cast. Very funny and quote worthy too. 🙂

Spirited Away (2001)
Miyazaki is legendary, his work is some of the best. And this is probably the one that stands out the most.

Hot Fuzz (2007)
:3

Honourable mentions to The Avengers, The Lord of the Rings Trilogy and Sherlock Holmes. Because why the hell not.

Haha, I love all three of those. Snatch is pretty quotable. I still use "you can call me Susan if it makes you happy".

Haha, I love all three of those. Snatch is pretty quotable. I still use "you can call me Susan if it makes you happy".

A friend of mines mother still calls me Susan from time to time because of that quote 😛

3. Jurassic Park - when that movie came out, it was really a sight to behold!

2. Avengers - Man, this movie was a great comic book movie, to see almost all the same actors playing their chracters, win

1. The Dark Knight - Heath's Joker was the best EVER!

Snatch (2000)

Boris the BULLET DODGER?

...why do they call him the BULLET DODGER?

...because he DODGES BULLETS AVEY!

The cream on the crop though was Boris getting run over by a car while tied up then COMICALLY SHOT SEVEN TIMES before he died! Classic hilarity! :lol

For me,
Lock, Stock, And Two Smoking Barrels (1998)
Equilibrium (2002)
Layer Cake (2004)

Scott Pilgrim vs the World

Pulp Fiction

Snatch

I like your taste in movies. Personally, I think I'd replace Scott Pilgrim vs the World with Lucky Number Sleven and call that a fun movie night.

Equalibrium...

I watched that flick about six months ago. My haiku review of it went something like this:

Writer/Director
Did Not Like the Ending Of

It was pretty much "1984" with a happy/hopeful ending, defeating the message of Orwell's classic. For that reason alone, it disappointed, even if much of the rest of it was slick.

Titantic was better in it's original format than the 3D.

Skyfall.

Lincoln.

Equalibrium...

I watched that flick about six months ago. My haiku review of it went something like this:

Writer/Director
Did Not Like the Ending Of

It was pretty much "1984" with a happy/hopeful ending, defeating the message of Orwell's classic. For that reason alone, it disappointed, even if much of the rest of it was slick.

Hahaha! Nice!

My haiku would be

Choreography
Minus the overblown plot
Matrix rebooted

I'll list the first seven that come to mind, as per the revised rules of this thread :stickout no particular order:

-- Django Unchained
Faith in Tarantino restored. He gets major points for a surprise song that made my jump out of my seat.

-- The Amazing Spider-Man
Finally, my favorite superhero is done right!

-- The Avengers
Nerdgasmic!

-- Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part 1 & Part 2
Not since Mask of the Phantasm have I enjoyed a Batman animated movie this much.

-- Big Trouble in Little China
I can never get enough of Jack Burton and his one liners. I'm sorely disappointed that there was never a sequel.

-- What About Bob?
Bill Murray trolling at his finest!

-- The Jane Austin Book Club
<3

Last edited:
What's New

9/21/2024
Visit the TMF Welcome forum and take a second to say hello to us!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back