• If you would like to get your account Verified, read this thread
  • The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

HACKER ALERT: "Support For Microsoft"; Beware!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee47

TMF Regular
This is a notification for fellow members so that you can prevent yourself falling into the trap that I, through my own foolishness, fell into. Here's the story. Be aware, it makes me look like a complete and utter idiot, which I guess I was, for about 5 minutes... but not as big an idiot as I could have been...

I was trying to solve a minor problem on my laptop computer, so I searched Bing for Microsoft's tech support number. Lo and behold, there was an 800 number for Support for Microsoft. I called it.

Guess what? The person on the other end of the phone was NOT a Microsoft tech support advisor. He was a hacker. When I looked back, after my adventures were over, I saw that the phone number listing was in the Advertisement section at the top of the page, NOT the search results. By then it was too late for my laptop.

Following the directions of the "tech support advisor", I typed in a web address to my browser that put me into his chat link. This allowed him to "examine" my computer remotely; and when I say examine, I mean "download internet viruses, worms, and malware up the wazoo." He then brought up a display screen showing me the hundreds of worms, viruses, and malware that were on my system. Not surprisingly, I realized soon after, since he had put them there himself.

He then tried to sell me a "Microsoft cleanup utility" for only $399.99 with a 3-year warranty. I balked at this point, since I bought my laptop off-lease at a local shop and it only cost me $400 to start with. Now came the hard-sell; for only $199.99 I could get a 1-year service. I hung up. Then I tried to turn on my Microsoft anti-virus, which had worked just fine the night before. It had been disabled, as had my malware and Windows Defender. I shut down and called my local shop. When I described my experience, Bob (the owner) told me regretfully that I had been hacked; but since I hadn't sent any money, I was ahead of the game.

I spent the next 6 hours (of my day off!!!) changing all the passwords on all the websites I could think of, including this one, from my bedroom computer, on the off-chance that this gang was after any personal information as opposed to just getting suckers to send them money. I also called a charming young lady at the FBI's Detroit office who requested that I file a complete report once I know the total dollar loss for getting my laptop repaired.

But the dollar loss is nothing compared to the stress and shame of having been a victim of my own momentary stupidity, combined with the hacker's taking advantage of Microsoft Corporation's reluctance to have a tech support phone number right out in the open- as I told them when I finally got in touch with the actual Microsoft tech support, a good many hours later. The ONLY reason I called the hacker in the first place is that Microsoft themselves hide their phone number behind about 9 layers of web pages; and I'm dead certain that hundreds of people like me fall victim to this scam or others like it, simply because they are looking for a live person to talk to, as opposed to filling out email contact forms and hoping someone will respond. So, anyone who bills themselves as "Microsoft Support" has a pool of victims ready-made to throw themselves at them. It's like lions owning a watering hole. Or rather, hyenas. (And, yes, I know that "cowardly hyenas" is a stereotype which has been disproved by science, but it's still useful anyway.)

So please, whatever you do, DON'T CALL ANY COMPANY BILLING THEMSELVES AS "MICROSOFT SUPPORT" (or ANY company tech support) unless you get the number from the ACTUAL corporation website. Whether you send them money or not, it will cost you.

And once again, I look like a moron in front of the Forum. :iamwithstupid: But if it helped someone else, I don't mind.

Thanks for posting about your experience. I have always had good luck with the reputable and free www.sevenforums.com (and its related forums for Vista and Eight) for solving various Microsoft computer problems.

Telephone tech support scams are becoming prevalent, with even some "legitimate" third-party support services allegedly involved in scams (such as this gem posted by security expert Brian Krebs.) Always be skeptical and do research before allowing anyone remote access to your computer or sharing billing information.

Glad to hear you didn't suffer TOO badly, mate. Sounds like you dealt with it as best you could have (including shopping the bugger to the FBI - nice one 🙂 ). Don't feel bad about having a derp moment - we've all been there (somebody recently told me her daughter had gotten a tattoo of the Capricorn star sign - I said "oh, is she a Capricorn?" -_- ).

Has anyone reported that site's web address to the authorities? Isn't there some sort of branch of law enforcement (either national or international) that can punish the holder of that site's IP address?

i kidna doubt this is true, doesn't fit

Oh, believe it. I'll let you know exactly how much it costs me to get my hard drive restored once the shop is done with it next week. Meanwhile, test it out yourself: search for Microsoft Support on your browser and see if an advertisement comes up at the top of the screen. If there's no ads, it means your security software is up to date like the software on the new CPO (certified pre-owned) PC I brought home this afternoon from the same shop, and it blocked the adware. Otherwise, there will most likely be some advertisements for various "Microsoft Support" outfits that aren't really Microsoft at all- if anything, they are outside firms that have a deal with Microsoft to allow them to use their name on their ads, and that's it.

Point your mouse at the website link and look at the bottom of the window. If the IP address at the bottom of the screen comes up as a long string of gibberish, instead of what's shown in the address bar window at the top, it's a redirect and therefore most probably a scam. I was aware of this trick before, but I knew that it comes up most often in phishing emails. I didn't expect to hit it while searching for something myself, and that was my downfall. if you "don't believe that this kind of thing happened to me," then you're kind of lining up for something similar one day to happen to you.

I don't want you to be paranoid. I just want to instill a healthy sense of caution, and if I save someone else the heartache (and the money) that I'm suffering, then it was worth it somewhat.

Has anyone reported that site's web address to the authorities? Isn't there some sort of branch of law enforcement (either national or international) that can punish the holder of that site's IP address?

Did I mention I am completing my report to the FBI once I have a dollar amount?

To reduce the risk of finding malicious links, I recommend using a privacy-aware search service like duckduckgo.com or startpage.com along with a hosts file like the one at http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm, which blocks some malware and scam sites. Never click the "Sponsored links" on search pages, many of which are fraudlulent.

A service like urlxray.com can identify the true destination of redirect-loaded URL's, and sites like webutation.net can reveal whether the website is considered trustworthy.

NBC News has an article about tech-support phone scams today, at http://www.nbcnews.com/business/con...ice-impersonated-scams-google-bing-ads-n82346

Last edited:
And I suggest using a little common sense when looking for tech support solutions. For example, if you're looking for Microsoft's number just find their support page at microsoft.com. Why run the risk of getting duped by not checking search engine results when you could just go right to the company's site in the first place? Always, always, always make sure you're getting your information from the official site.

I agree with Violetta on this one, that's why I found this thread weird to believe. I've never heard of anyone have an issue like that with Microsoft, especially when they are the biggest well known people on the Internet, and all u do is go to there site for help. I think they have online help too. Also, knowing a little something bout web design, you can kinda tell if its truly a windows site, because they offer al ot more then help on there site as well. So yeah, be more careful dude.

I get to go pick up my laptop today. There was no spyware, no malware, no anything on it... it was more of a scam than a hack as it turns out. Evidently these guys just opened a text window on my screen and ran a bunch of text past showing me all the things they claimed were on my computer so that I would be scared out of my gourd and pay them what they asked. If I had actually done that and downloaded what they sold, there might easily have been a virus downloaded along with whatever else they gave me, but as it was I kept my wits and got the hell out of there. I got off very cheap, $50 labor is all the guys at the shop charged me for virus scan and cleanup.

I consider it a small price to pay for an enduring lesson.

And I suggest using a little common sense when looking for tech support solutions. For example, if you're looking for Microsoft's number just find their support page at microsoft.com.

Yeah, but that's exactly what I did, I thought. I typed "Microsoft support" in a search bar and the story proceeded from there. Never having had to buy anything online or get any technical support from the company, I had no idea what their website looked like. It was only later on (while trying to report the problem to them, so their lawyers could look into these geeks as well- who advertise themselves as "Microsoft Silver Partners" on their website!) that I discovered what Microsoft.com looks like, and exactly how incredibly frustrating they make it to actually get in touch with a living human being. They much prefer you to email your problem and then wait for their tech to reply. I don't call that "customer service". I paid the license fee for their software. That means they sold me a product, and when it doesn't work, just like any other company, I expect them to have operators standing by to assist me. And they do everything in their power to actively prevent you from getting an operator.

For example, I just went to their tech support website again and found NO phone number. Zero- None- Zilch- Nada. It took me 7 pages to get to anything even related to a human being; and then the option given was to enter an online chat with a technician about my problem. I do not "chat" online. Call me fickle, demanding, or old-fashioned, but I insist on a human being speaking to me through a telephone. And evidently, since my computer is reconditioned and out of warranty, I don't rate that.

This is why, as much as I admire Bill Gates personally for his charitable contributions and political views, I hate Microsoft. And it's also why online scammers find Microsoft customers easy targets. Microsoft doesn't advertise their phone number, so people claiming to be Microsoft support can easily dupe those like me who expect that a corporation would actually want to give customers service and provide a way to contact them. Even Microsoft's "Contact Us" link just keeps returning back to the same page, which is not a list of phone numbers, but a form to fill out about your own computer!

Microsoft needs a good Customer Relations guy. I think I'll apply for the job.

I will happily confirm that things like this do happen and not everyone is completely aware of how easy it is to scam like that. Having dealt with issues like this more than once, it happens pretty regularly. Its also hard to prevent or track down the scammers. But, the best caution you can use is research. Also, never let some remote into your computer. Its completely unneeded. No need to feel embarrassed, I almost got scammed too and I'm pretty knowledgeable with computers. It happens.

Yeah, but that's exactly what I did, I thought. I typed "Microsoft support" in a search bar and the story proceeded from there. Never having had to buy anything online or get any technical support from the company, I had no idea what their website looked like. It was only later on (while trying to report the problem to them, so their lawyers could look into these geeks as well- who advertise themselves as "Microsoft Silver Partners" on their website!) that I discovered what Microsoft.com looks like, and exactly how incredibly frustrating they make it to actually get in touch with a living human being. They much prefer you to email your problem and then wait for their tech to reply. I don't call that "customer service". I paid the license fee for their software. That means they sold me a product, and when it doesn't work, just like any other company, I expect them to have operators standing by to assist me. And they do everything in their power to actively prevent you from getting an operator.

For example, I just went to their tech support website again and found NO phone number. Zero- None- Zilch- Nada. It took me 7 pages to get to anything even related to a human being; and then the option given was to enter an online chat with a technician about my problem. I do not "chat" online. Call me fickle, demanding, or old-fashioned, but I insist on a human being speaking to me through a telephone. And evidently, since my computer is reconditioned and out of warranty, I don't rate that.

This is why, as much as I admire Bill Gates personally for his charitable contributions and political views, I hate Microsoft. And it's also why online scammers find Microsoft customers easy targets. Microsoft doesn't advertise their phone number, so people claiming to be Microsoft support can easily dupe those like me who expect that a corporation would actually want to give customers service and provide a way to contact them. Even Microsoft's "Contact Us" link just keeps returning back to the same page, which is not a list of phone numbers, but a form to fill out about your own computer!

Microsoft needs a good Customer Relations guy. I think I'll apply for the job.
you do realize they have tons of people already working for them right? I mean it ain't hard to find Microsoft support, all u do is type in Microsoft and a huge add is on the side, first link takes u right there. you can tell its legit, but good luck if that's what u wanna go for lol. its hard to get into microsoft

you do realize they have tons of people already working for them right? I mean it ain't hard to find Microsoft support, all u do is type in Microsoft and a huge add is on the side, first link takes u right there.

You keep saying that, but the fact is that when I typed in "Microsoft support", the first ad I got was "Support For Microsoft" and an 800 number. Their website says they are a "Microsoft Silver Partner", whatever that is supposed to mean. Maybe they are a completely legitimate business most of the time and the guy I got is a scammer on the side, I don't know. What I do know is that it pisses me off that Microsoft Corporation doesn't have a phone number like "1-800-MICROSOFT" that will connect you almost immediately to a technician who will ask you things like, what are you having trouble with today? How can we help you? the way Comcast does with their cable, TV and internet service. The bigger the company, the better the service should be, yet for some reason it isn't. I even used the option on Microsoft's web site to request a call from tech support, which I never got- I presume since my computer is out of warranty, I don't rate that service.
Whatever.

You shouldn't have searched for it... you should have just went to www.microsoft.com which is their website. And even if you searched for their number, look at the web address isn't found at. If it's not found at a page on www.microsoft.com it might be a bad number.

You shouldn't have searched for it... you should have just went to www.microsoft.com which is their website. And even if you searched for their number, look at the web address isn't found at. If it's not found at a page on www.microsoft.com it might be a bad number.

Exactly! That's what most of us have been saying all along. There's no sense in trusting a supposed "partner business" when the only safe bet on the internet is the actual company itself.

I think what he is having an issue with is that when he tried to FIND the Microsoft Homepage he instead got a scam site. I don't think he knew the HTML of the homepage to begin with so he tried to look it up via google search (which I can totally understand him having a problem with as it cna be hard to find a company's homepage when you don't initially know the HTML address of that homage).

I think what he is having an issue with is that when he tried to FIND the Microsoft Homepage he instead got a scam site. I don't think he knew the HTML of the homepage to begin with so he tried to look it up via google search (which I can totally understand him having a problem with as it cna be hard to find a company's homepage when you don't initially know the HTML address of that homage).

THANK YOU Rox!! That's exactly what happened. I agree that I could have typed in "www.microsoft.com" if I had known initially that that is their website, but I had never tried to contact them before and instead just typed in the search as I described above. The ads for the bogus scam sites showed up at the top of the page (Bing search) before the actual search results, which did contain the Microsoft home page link. And (once again) because I was looking for a phone number to call a living person to talk to, I was lured in. Man, was I an idiot thinking Microsoft would make it easy for customers to telephone them for customer service. 😛issed

Last edited:
i guess still don't understand how u mess up finding microsft but that's just me lol

Well, let us just say that not all of us are as computer-literate as you and leave it at that.

Considering that the OP's issue has been resolved, and this thread is starting to outlive its usefulness, I'm closing it (unless the OP requests it be reopened).

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's New

9/19/2024
The TMF Archives hold colections of our communities creators work, take a look!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back