• If you would like to get your account Verified, read this thread
  • The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Half-Life 2

nessonite1

3rd Level White Feather
Does anybody here play Half-Life 2? It's not usually my style of game but I want to get it. I'm just not sure if it will run on my system. I don't need super enhanced graphics but I'm hoping it will at least work.
The specs recommend a 2.4 ghz processor. Mine is only a 1.2 but that does JUST meet the minimum requirement. I am getting a 128meg nvidia graphics card. I have 320 megs or RAM right now. I want to upgrade to 512 and I should be able to pretty soon.
hard drive space is no problem.

I know the minimum requirements are not usually to be trusted. I've met the minimum on things that had no chance of running on my computer. Is anyone with real experience with the game able to tell me if it's worth getting or if I need a beefier system? Thanks!

It works fine on my rig. Here are my system specs which matter (on a machine I got for £220 without a VDU or graphics card- graphics card was about £20-30)

AMD Sempron(haha I only just noticed the stupid name) 1.5 Ghz
512 DDR RAM
Radion 9250 (128mb) GFX card.

Also you best make sure you have a DVD drive on your PC. HL2 comes on a DVD not multiple CD's. My computer runs it just spiffy by the way.

If your processor is AMD it might just be alright.

Personally I don't think it's that wonderful a game. I only got it for CS Source really. It's got a monstrous engine which is great but I'm not an overly FPS single player kind of guy. It's multiplayer or nothing.

One tiny suggestion:
Buy Halo 2 instead.
If you're lookin for online gaming, you want. . . Halo 2.
If you want single-player gaming, you want. . . Halo 2.
If you have an XBox, the optimum requirements are already met.

nah, hektik, don't discourage her from half-life 2. halo 2 is great if you have an xbox.

yes, ness, half-life 2 you SHOULD get, i'm currently hooked on it. the gameplay and weapons are great, trust a true computer gamer, YOU'LL LOVE IT. it also comes in collector boxes, which is a plus.

Sorry, Halo's weapons are better. Pretty soon, SheDevil and I are gonna get on Live! and tear some people apart. I'm tellin you kiddies, Halo 2 is amazing. There's nothing more fun than lunging at somebody at 100 M.P.H. and then slicing them to death. That's it, screw this thread, I'm making my own.

i don't know all of halos wepons, but they follow a wepon guideline as i can it. you have a pistol, shotgun, machine gun, plasma gun, bazooka. i mean, halo is awesome, but it brings backawful memories for my stupidity for selling my xbox and i gotta save money before i can get a new xbox and halo 2, so i'm yearning for it like a crack addict going cold turkey, so it hurts to talk about it, lol. but half-life 2 has UNIQUE weapons. example: on the last lvl, your gravity gun turns into a super gravity gun, so you can pick up people and it's totally fun and sweet.

i'm sure halo 2 is tha sh*t, but i don't know from experience, like i do half-life 2. i just don't want her discouraged from half-life 2, but i agree she and everyone should get both.

for the sake of not re-hijacking the thread, Im gonna reply in the Halo topic, to that.

ok, but ness, really get half-life 2, if halo came out at a different time, you would be hearing alot more about half-life 2.

Half Life 2 = great game.

Take it from A 19 year old who doesn't have A job. Half Life 2 is slathered in "I want to waste my time" Sauce. Graphics are amazing... the engine is amazing... the mutliplayer is amazing... If I could somehow just inject myself with the fun I got from playing Half Life 2, i'd probably go to jail, because it would be illegal.

Oh, I have A GeForce FX 5200 (embarassing...) and it runs pretty okay on the lowest settings. I just can't wait to put my RADEON 9600 in when I get A motherboard that'll stand 8x AGP...

lol, chameloen, i'm 20 with no job, coincidence? but yes, chameleon's 100% right, i'm hooked as he is.

chameleon, what's yur favorite weapon? i mostly like the super gravity gun.

ya, i have gaey's mod, great for making funny screenshots and all out fun playing with the phsycs system and engine.

Actually I say Gary's mod on tv and if it werent for that I wouldnt even be considering half-life 2. Im not REAL big into war type games but for me Gary's mod would be worth the price of the game.
I don't have an x-box, just a PS2. Most of the reviews I've seen have rated Half-life as being much better than halo....
sorry...making things short cause my computer wants to reboot for no reason every few minutes. Thanks all for the input!

reboot eh, sounds like it automatically installed the new windows update, it happened to me, too. it not a war game per se. your part of a rag tag resistance fighting enemies from another dimension, taking place after the first half-life game. in garry's mod, you can't really use the cool weapons since you don't have enemies to fight in it, per se. but it's well worth the money.

Actually normie I somehow managed to kill my motherboard...I was working in a BAD BAD and buggy windows 98. Ive reformatted now and Im using a slightly better win98 with an older board but every now and then my browser just shuts off without warning.
I cant wait til I can have XP back next week!

You could give "Killzone" a chance on PS2. Halo's and Half Life enigines are better, but I personnally like the dark mood of Killzone... Definately not a Halo 2 killer as it was meant to be but I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Well, my favorite "gun" is the Magnum, but I enjoy the grav gun alot too... nothing better than throwing people at other people...

half life one was a great game for the ps2. It had a two player co-op mode that the pc version didnt have. Halo 2 is cool, but half life has its own unique storyline. I dont have a really up-to-date machine so im hoping that half life 2 gets released on a xbox or xbox 2

half-life one for pc had a co-op mode, just had to download the mod.

ah, i gotta tell my friend thanks : )Hes getting a new pc.

Half Life 2 is the best FPS ever created. Take this from someone who waited years for Halo 2, drooling over it, and only bought Half Life 2 on a passing whim because I heard it was good. Half Life 2 does everything well. Its just amazingly good. Way better than Halo 2.

ya i know, one reason i sold my xbox, was i needed the money, and was pissed since it seemed halo 2 would never come out.

laughingboy2000 said:
Half Life 2 is the best FPS ever created. Take this from someone who waited years for Halo 2, drooling over it, and only bought Half Life 2 on a passing whim because I heard it was good. Half Life 2 does everything well. Its just amazingly good. Way better than Halo 2.

Halo 2 is mediocre, as is Hale-Life 2. I was totally unimpressed wit hte gameplay itself though the graphics are amazing. Multiplayer (Hl2dm) DOES hold merit however.

I am heading an HL2/CS:Source clan with the people from ebaumsworld.com, including ebaum himself and his network operations manager (everyone's gotta blow a little steam, eh?). I welcome any of you talented people to join us.

What's New

9/19/2024
The TMF Archives hold colections of our communities creators work, take a look!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back