• If you would like to get your account Verified, read this thread
  • The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Harry Potter

tallbuckeye

TMF Regular
Geez, every forum I go to has a Harry Potter thread. It's one of those phenomena I totally missed on, although I've seen a couple of the movies. The last book is out now... a really BFD, or just 'bfd'?

Not if you aren't a thinker. otherwise it isn't really. Or if you are just into wizards and magic.

I'm a fan of the books--the last one is not out until the 21st at Midnight.

So why does an adult enjoy these books aimed at kids???

When I was a camp counselor about 6 years ago, my campers were calling eachother muggles. I wasn't sure if it was a new curse word, so I asked them what it meant and where they heard it. They told me it meant non-magical people, and it was from Harry Potter. They started using more of the Wizarding jargon in their everyday speech, so I felt the need to read the first book that week just to understand my campers. My mom had it, as she's a teacher, so I borrowed it, and found that my inner child enjoyed the book almost as much as my outer adult found it well written. As the other books were released, I watched my campers who, the summer before, had trouble reading, come into camp beaming with pride at having read a 400some page book, or a 700some page book...

No matter what your views on the books, the subject of magic and witchcraft, or just the hoopla surrounding the books release, you cannot deny that anything that gets kids to read, and makes them excited to read, has some serious merit.

Kudos to JK Rowling, who I believe is brilliant.

I can't wait to read the final installment!

It also gets bartenders to read... or at least one I was talking to last week. She had her day off planned; cue up a drink or two, turn off the phone, and dig into the book. Would never have guessed that from her; left me impressed.

700 pages is kinda outside my attention span; < 400 works better for me.

The first book came out when I was in the fourth grade. Up until the books I hated reading and english itself (partly due to the fact my parents forced me to go through hooked on phonics hell). Since the books I have really blossomed, reading practically everything I can get my hands on.

I read the first book and lost interest; I admit that since then I've been a Potter non-participant. Still, I agree that at worst the books are generally innocuous, and at best a beneficial enticement to read (though supposedly some studies have shown that most Harry Potter readers haven't followed Angelfish's example: Harry Potter has inspired in them an enthusiasm for Harry Potter in particular but not for reading in general, and their reading habits haven't broadened since being introduced to Potter, nor are they expected to continue after the 7th book).

You know what books I dig: the His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman. Also has magic and an orphan with a mysterious background, but I think the books are better-written and smarter than Potter (and, for that matter, more enlightened and even-handed in their handling of female characters).

The first book came out when I was in the fourth grade. Up until the books I hated reading and english itself (partly due to the fact my parents forced me to go through hooked on phonics hell). Since the books I have really blossomed, reading practically everything I can get my hands on.

Isn't reading fun when schooling doesn't get in the way?

Off-topic - a rather savage parody of Harry Potter can be found here:

http://susiebright.blogs.com/susie_brights_journal_/2007/07/harry-potter-an.html

Geez, every forum I go to has a Harry Potter thread. It's one of those phenomena I totally missed on, although I've seen a couple of the movies. The last book is out now... a really BFD, or just 'bfd'?

No its legit. Every now and then a story just gets everyone's attention. More than that though I think that the interest is genuine and not contrived in an advertising boardroom. Sure as hell they took advantage of it but the origin is Rowling.

The story itself is easy enough to follow. The setting and characters are conjured up quickly in the mind, you don't have to do mental gymnastics to figure out what she's saying.

But yeah, the Harry Potter phenom has been around for a few years now.

I finished the book..got it yesterday at 10am...and, with an hour break for kickboxing class, a shower, 2 meals, and plenty of bathroom breaks for myself and my canine friend, I completed the 758 page manuscript at 3:20am...

Whomever else has finished it, and cares to offer their thoughts, I'm intrigued!!!

I thought it was well done...and that she's a genius...

JK Rowling: You complete me.

I started reading the books after the first movie came out. I just finished reading the final book. I think the story is one of the best I've ever read, and I have to say that it is not (or no longer) just a children's story. People are tortured, maimed, and killed; there is love, hate, and redemption. So much is left out of the movies. Anyone who likes to read a good story should read this series.

I need to get around to actually read those books. I got wrapped up in reading the first three Dune novels. Before that it was Wheel of Time. Eventually I'll get to them. I understand that much was left out from book to movie. It's always that way.

I finished the book last night and, while I enjoyed reading the series and remain a HP fan, I found the finale predictable and cliche. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it and I believe it was a good book series, but the permanently labels it 'kids literature' in my mind.

Just my humble opinion.

Snail Shell

Rictusempra has been cast on both Camel26 and MaxDragon!!!! :bluestar:

In case you don't remember, that's a tickling charm that you should enjoy. You both expressed my thoughts regarding this exceptional series by Ms. Rowling.

Book 7, as all others, was TERRIFIC and well worth reading again.

Oooh! My favorite charm!!!

BRING IT!!! 😀

I LOVE this book...

What's New

9/24/2024
Clips4Sale is where to be for the webs largest fetish clip selection!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back