• If you would like to get your account Verified, read this thread
  • The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

High Speed Internet

steve21

I was just wondering if someone could tell me about the set up of high speed internet. I once again took on way more than I was prepared for, and am trying to set the high speed up on my own. I could have hired someone to come in and do it for me. But I realy didn't want them searching all over my computer. my question is, does anyone have high speed internet? And do you know what they have to get into, to install it? Any info. would be appreciated.

What company are you going with? Is it Cable, DSL, Cellular, Satellite? For the most part it's a matter of plugging in the modem they send you between the provider source (i.e. cable or phone connection) and the computer. If you have more than one PC on the connection you'll get into router setup as well. You may have to install some software that comes with the modem. It varies per provider.

I got charter highspeed recently. They just plug in the modem and router and put some software in. They don't search your computer or get into anything.

You plug cable into the modem, then connect the ethernet cable to your router or computer. That's it! You're done. Don't install any crappy software they give you, your operating system is guaranteed to be better at managing a network connection, something it's designed to do.

That can depend on the provider though. Some of them like Verizon until just recently, require you install their software and use a dialing agent to use their service. Thankfully Verizon changed that.

Well, that's also DSL. I don't have anything against DSL, but I do have something against the phone company.

Cable companies aren't much better, but at least they don't make me get phone service I'll never use.

The reason why I absolutely hate provider software is... what if their software doesn't work with my computer?

"We're sorry, but you can't use our service that you're paying for because you've got an Apple computer, or Linux, or Windows 2000, or something else we arbitrarily chose not to 'support.'"

F that. I want absolute freedom from the company telling me what I can use and how simply because they were too cheap and lazy. I pay for a service, I expect to be able to plug the ethernet cable in and have it function. No more, no less.

Well, that's also DSL. I don't have anything against DSL, but I do have something against the phone company.

Cable companies aren't much better, but at least they don't make me get phone service I'll never use.

The reason why I absolutely hate provider software is... what if their software doesn't work with my computer?

"We're sorry, but you can't use our service that you're paying for because you've got an Apple computer, or Linux, or Windows 2000, or something else we arbitrarily chose not to 'support.'"

F that. I want absolute freedom from the company telling me what I can use and how simply because they were too cheap and lazy. I pay for a service, I expect to be able to plug the ethernet cable in and have it function. No more, no less.

I agree. My current provider suckes a big one. My wireless only workes half the time on a good day. I just need to go buy my own modem and router.

Have you looked into any of the nationwide wireless services yet? With WiMAX on the verge, I've got a feeling that universal wireless is the next step. Could be worth checking out. If it's coming to your area soon enough, you could wait for it and go that route!

What's New

9/26/2024
The TMF Chatroom is always busy and its free1
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back