• If you would like to get your account Verified, read this thread
  • The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

I think I may homeschool my kids...

Can you provide a transcript of the story so that I'm not assed with having to sit through a video that would better serve me as a one-paragraph news blurb?

I have a question. How does homeschooling work, anyway? I'm old enough, and it's a new enough trend, that we didn't really have it when i was coming up.

Even if you homeschool, won't you have to teach your kids to be able to pass whatever tests the state or feds devise for your kids, when it comes time for their SATS and so on?

My point is, even if you feel that your kids might get some incorrect info in the classrooms - won't they have to learn that same info to proceed through the school "system"?

From what I have gathered, you purchase (and they may be subsidized, I cannot say) textbooks, lesson materials, and whatever else you need. Standardized tests are given and mailed back to show that the homeschooled student has reached the required comprehension level, and so forth until "graduation."

When the process is over you have an educated teenager that cannot conduct him/herself in public any better than a six year old. 🙂

When the process is over you have an educated teenager that cannot conduct him/herself in public any better than a six year old. 🙂

Well, hell. In that case, might as well save the headache and just send `em to school. Same outcome. 😉

Homeschooling does have to live up to certain state standards, those happen to vary greatly from state to state. So is the support given to parents who homeschool. In NY, the child needs to be able to pass the regents exams and state based exams up to that point. All textbooks are supplied by the state.

In reference to the video: "OH GOD NO! HOW DARE THEY POSSIBLY TEACH KIDS THAT THERE ARE MORE THEN ONE POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS!"

The guy needs to not be an idiot and allow people to have opinions. I have no issue with telling my children that evolution and/or intelligent design are possible. Also, intelligent design has been gaining a scientific following lately attempting to prove some base level that there is more at hand then evolution.

Honestly, my opinion is that evolution primarily brought about what we see today. I just don't think evolution caused all of it. I do believe that there is something that planted the base seed for certain species and groups of animals that evolved into what they are today.

What about the parents themselves? What sort of criteria must they meet to be "teachers" for their own kids. High school equivalency? College degree?

Wow... why can't they let children have their own opinion instead of force-feeding them their believes as part of an academic program?

I'm not against anyone having their own beliefs as long as they get to choose.

I'm not actually sure what criteria the parents have to meet. Honestly I would expect it to be high school grad or equivalent.

From my understanding of the clip, they are giving them the choice to pick which they believe. From how this jackass puts it, it seems like Texas wants them side-by-side showing both options.

What Bella said. I find that a lot of kids that are home schooled tend to have problems socializing with others later in life. My kids are going to definitely be enrolled in regular school, though I'd like to think I'll be actively involved in what they're being taught.

My sister home schooled for a while. An oldest son and two daughters. I always told her that they needed to be involved with other activities that socializes the kids. Her son needed punched in the nose and needed to punch a kid in the nose. He needed to make fun of a kid and be made fun of. Be part of a team, winning and losing. Not just hang around his two younger sisters during a key developmental part of his life. I think he missed out. And the girls had each other and really had a hard time fitting in later without the comfort of the other around.

Home schooling is fine, but its more than just taking tests. They need to be around kids their age in some capacity.

I also think that. Insulating kids from the real world does them a disservice.

As for replacing history with propaganda, hey, it worked for the Soviets, didn't it? 😛issed

In reference to the video: "OH GOD NO! HOW DARE THEY POSSIBLY TEACH KIDS THAT THERE ARE MORE THEN ONE POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS!"

The guy needs to not be an idiot and allow people to have opinions. I have no issue with telling my children that evolution and/or intelligent design are possible. Also, intelligent design has been gaining a scientific following lately attempting to prove some base level that there is more at hand then evolution.

Honestly, my opinion is that evolution primarily brought about what we see today. I just don't think evolution caused all of it. I do believe that there is something that planted the base seed for certain species and groups of animals that evolved into what they are today.

Evolution specifically explains the diversity of life, so you would be correct in thinking it did not cause life. The problem with your idea is, school is not a place to teach opinion. You send your kids there to pick up basic knowledge. This basic knowledge is "battle-tested" in the scientific arena first; just like any well-accepted scientific idea - the big bang for example. Evolution, too. Yes, believe it or not, there's loads of physical proof for evolution. Swing a cat in a museum and you're bound to hit proof for evolution.

Creationism/ID however is not a scientific idea, it has no scientific evidence, and it has never actually been formally put forth into the academic arena - because proponents of ID know they'll get their asses handed to them. Now, I'm sure what you really meant to critique for the origins of life was Abiogenesis. However, I'd love it if you read up on the subject before saying it wasn't the causal agent. 🙂

Last edited:
What's New

9/19/2024
The TMF Archives hold colections of our communities creators work, take a look!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back