• If you would like to get your account Verified, read this thread
  • The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Illustrations vs writing

oman

TMF Master
now alot of people read weather it's books magazines or so on, but can words really describe things better than a picture can or is a picture really worth a thousand words?

What do you think?

In my honest opinion, a bit of pictures and words can go a long way, gives it a good chance to describe everything of what's going on.

If one chose to focus on mainly writing would try to give more to make it easier for people that's reading it.

Same for when doing illustration, only if you ask me, that's kinda like giving more than one describition of what's going on. I mean I could be mistaken, but that's pretty much of what I think.

Good point, I feel pictures can speak more than words as you can see emotion and scenery rather than having all the deatails described and slow up the story

Spoken like someone who grew up on TV. If you take the time to read, your imagination makes the story come alive. Assuming you have an imagination, that is.

I've seen ALOT of imaginative things, the art work of MC escher, Salvador Dali and the cinimatic beauty of George Melenes

It all depends on your preference I think. You enjoy most what you ENJOY MOST. Beauty (and thus it's enjoyment) lies with the beholder (or reader as it might be in this case).

I second that, xodlirv. Rox has indeed came out as the "women" of reason, once again.

I've discussed this in particular reference to my work on this site. I think each gives a different level of expression to the same property. No matter how hard I've tried, my writing doesn't communicate the sex appeal of my characters as well as my fairly cartoony comic art does, perhaps because i've tried to keep the style a little free and easy and not super-realistic. There's an immediacy in visual art that prose can never communicate because you can ony describe certain features one at a time, or give approximations that don't communicate what makes the mental 'image' (and there's the key) instantly recognisable, but it works the other way as well.

I enjoy writing, and it's very useful for exploring the more abstract thoughts and feelings of a character that might seem too intrusive or indulgent in a comic. You can also be more allusory and evoke particular atmospheres with writing that don't always get explored in the visual world, especially sounds, tastes, and textures.

These ideas are only as applied to my own stories and characters, and both overlap to try and give a full sense of narrative and character. The only other thing i'd like to add is animating the stories and giving the characters voices. Animation is criminally undervalued in western society, and I owe Disney credit as the leading influence in how I draw facial expressions.

Last edited:
I personally prefer visuals, words can definitely describe a scene very well but I have a short attention span and tend to lose interest before a description is finished

What's New

9/19/2024
The TMF Archives hold colections of our communities creators work, take a look!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back