• If you would like to get your account Verified, read this thread
  • The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

In the aftermath of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows....

BigJim1

TMF Expert
SPOILER WARNING!!!!!!! Do not read any everfucking further and then bitch to me that you just had the book ruined. There are plot spoilers in my post, okey-fucking-day?

Well, it arrived and we read it. All the questions were answered and I’m quite chuffed that nearly all of the things I predicted came true, including the following…

Snape turned out to be a good guy who colluded with Dumbledore over his death (although he is still the world’s most bitter, twisted and fucked up individual) .

Lupin and Tonks died.

Voldemort had a Darth-Vaderlike comedown from being an ultimate badass, into being a bit of a snivelling cretin.

Harry turned out to be a Horcrux (although I didn’t predict that JK would get him out of that jam in such a spectacularly imaginative and believable way).

………………….

So do y’all feel in the aftermath? I personally felt the book lost a little by not having a proper dénouement. Yes we got the “nineteen years later” chapter, but that didn’t wind up the story as it was happening with the Second Battle of Hogwarts. I feel quite disappointed about that.

Harry lived!!! Kills Voldemort dead as smeg and goes on to live a long and happy life. I thought the only way out of getting him out of the Harry-is-a-Horcrux plotline was to have him die at the moment of victory, but JK got him out of it in a way that made him look like the biggest hero ever.

So what was your take on it peeps?

To be honest I'm a little disapointed that more people didn't end up dying. Not that I WANTED them to, but I was expecting them to. When the book ended so few had died that it took away from the sadness I should have about the people who DID. Really..in the untimate battle between good and evil there should be WAY more casualties.

What did make me upset was....WHY THE DAMN OWL? The last book, the final conclusion...and the first person she kills is poor little Hedwig. And Dobby was practically next ToT

I saw the death of Lupin and Tonks coming as soon as they had a kid. I knew one or both of them wasnt gonna make it at that point. Beyond that I purposfully didn't do much speculating cause I wanted things to be a surprise.
I was expecting Harry to live but I was also expecting either Ron or Hermione to die. But I suspected maybe they would be safe after their romance was finally confirmed. To have one of them die after that would maybe have been too tragic for the series.

To be honest I'm a little disapointed that more people didn't end up dying. Not that I WANTED them to, but I was expecting them to. When the book ended so few had died that it took away from the sadness I should have about the people who DID. Really..in the untimate battle between good and evil there should be WAY more casualties.

Smegging hell, fifty good guys died, including a shedload we knew as main-ish characters (Tonks, Lupin, Hedwig, Dobby, Colin Creevy and others...) and countless Death Eaters got killed or maimed. What were you expecting: Voldemort's Magical Self-Guided Chainsaw? :laughing:

What did make me upset was....WHY THE DAMN OWL?

I think that was important Ness. JK needed them all cut right off from everything and that entailed Harry losing both Hedwig and, if you noticed, his Firebolt. After that they were right on their own.

If you're a fan of both Harry Potter and Buffy the Vampire Slayer, then you abso-freakin'-lutely have to read the following crossover fanfic.

I actually think the Buffy TV series had a more thoroughly and convincingly imagined world--and a more coherent vision of good and evil within that world--than Rowling's books do.

Hmm, I'm not sure about that. Buffy was good, but not that good. I did like the episode though where during the course of a battle she "awakes" to find that she isn't really a vampire slayer, and everything she had done previously was delusions as she was mentally ill, and her parents were still alive, looking after her in a mental institution. It really made you wonder just which reality was the real one.

Hmm, I'm not sure about that. Buffy was good, but not that good.

I actually do think Buffy was that good. But then I also don't think Rowling's books are very good. #4 was pretty strong, but overall Buffy could be worse than it is and still be better than Potter, at least in terms of conjuring a world and grappling with good and evil. Plus, at the basic level of the prose I was always stumbling over Rowling's mere adequateness.

I actually also wasn't crazy about the mental institution episode of Buffy...

So maybe I'm just plain contrary.

Uhuhuhuh....Dumbledore is gay (like literally, according to Rowling)....uuhuhuh....that made me laugh....awesome nonetheless....

But like she wasn't already under fire from the religious groups over use of witchcraft and "satanic" material....

I still dont know what she was thinking with that stunt. It does nothing for the story and was probably just done to stir up controversy and publicity. irritating -_-

And yeah I know a fair number of good guys died...but they were all pretty minor. Not a single really important character got killed since Dumbledore. The great series-ending battle and ron, hermione, AND harry all come out unscathed? hagrid ALMOST died, which was the gut-wrenching horrifying thing that I had been preparing myself for. But then he was magically ressurected and brought back from certain doom which, frankly, felt tacked on.
None of the teachers died, I don't think. Hell, the Malfoys didn't even die. There was so little real emotional impact.

Although one thing I was rather pleased with was the Malfoy's decent into obscurity throughout the book. In the beginning of the series they were the ultimate evil. Then by the end of book 7 they were just huddled there, useless and ignored. A better fate, I think, than dying in an explosion of glory for their dark lord.

Uhuhuhuh....Dumbledore is gay (like literally, according to Rowling)....uuhuhuh....that made me laugh....awesome nonetheless....

But like she wasn't already under fire from the religious groups over use of witchcraft and "satanic" material....

Indeed, first you're getting a quick Hufflepuff behind the broom sheds, then before you know where you are you've been given a Slytherin up the old Dumbledore.

Indeed, first you're getting a quick Hufflepuff behind the broom sheds, then before you know where you are you've been given a Slytherin up the old Dumbledore.

ROFLMAO!!!

And I agree with Nessie about the ending being "tacked on"...I bet in the original version a lot more people did die but then the publishers got on her ass about it...

I don't know about that...if you're Rowling and you're making your company THAT much money can't you do pretty much whatever the hell you want?

I actually think the Buffy TV series had a more thoroughly and convincingly imagined world--and a more coherent vision of good and evil within that world--than Rowling's books do.
I agree, although it is fair to point that Rowling's books were aimed primarily at kids (I doubt even she foresaw how they would catch on among many adults without kids :laughing🙂 whereas Buffy/Angel was always aimed at teenagers on up.

Both series have flaws, although they survived by moving past those flaws. But I'm still annoyed at how even the "genius" Oz never thought to buy a Super Soaker and fill it with holy water before skulking through a graveyard looking for vampires. :umm:

I agree, although it is fair to point that Rowling's books were aimed primarily at kids (I doubt even she foresaw how they would catch on among many adults without kids :laughing🙂 whereas Buffy/Angel was always aimed at teenagers on up.

True (although I'd say that Buffy always seemed to me to be directed squarely at a grownup audience--unlike, say, 90210 or even The O.C.--with younger people looking in if they liked).

But I don't see the age range of Rowling's allegedly target audience as being an explanation for any failings in her fiction. Books like Alice in Wonderland, In the Night Kitchen, A Wrinkle in Time, and Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy--along with the work of, say, Charles Schulz--are aimed at young audiences but don't sacrifice consistency, complexity or quality to reach them, and are all worth reading even in adulthood.

Well, maybe not A Wrinkle in Time; I loved that book as a kid but started rereading it a few years ago and was disappointed. I stopped rereading lest the disappointment continue.

Ah right, sorry.

Didn't read it as I'm not a fan of cross-overs.
Perhaps I didn't give a proper description. All any HP fan needs to know is:

- It takes place entirely in England.
- There's not an American anywhere in it.
- Buffy and Sunnydale are 16 years away from this fic. It takes place a little before and a little after Harry's first birthday.
- It explains why Harry is The Boy Who Lived.
- It has a neat twist where a Trelawney prediction ties the two universes together and completely screws up Sirius' plan to protect the Potters. All you need know is that her prediction has nothing to do with the Potters.
- Giles and Rayne, two characters who become enemies in BtVS, are presented as friends in the fic before they went their separate ways.

That's it. If all crossovers were like this one, you would love them.

Perhaps I didn't give a proper description. All any HP fan needs to know is:

- It takes place entirely in England.
- There's not an American anywhere in it.
- Buffy and Sunnydale are 16 years away from this fic. It takes place a little before and a little after Harry's first birthday.
- It explains why Harry is The Boy Who Lived.
- It has a neat twist where a Trelawney prediction ties the two universes together and completely screws up Sirius' plan to protect the Potters. All you need know is that her prediction has nothing to do with the Potters.
- Giles and Rayne, two characters who become enemies in BtVS, are presented as friends in the fic before they went their separate ways.

That's it. If all crossovers were like this one, you would love them.

It is quite good actually, even though so many Americanisms dropping from the lips of Brits do make me wanna yak sometimes. 😀

It is quite good actually, even though so many Americanisms dropping from the lips of Brits do make me wanna yak sometimes. 😀
OK, it's not absolutely perfect but what fanfic is? The amazing thing is that it's in canon for both worlds. I hate AU. That writer pulled off a near-miracle. I wish more would put in even half as much effort before posting whatever crazy plotbunny hops through their heads.

I actually saw one clown in a fic group argue his canon-raping fic was in canon because at the end, he said "it was all a dream." Talk about wanting to go through the monitor and strangle a putz. :laughing:

OK, it's not absolutely perfect but what fanfic is? The amazing thing is that it's in canon for both worlds. I hate AU. That writer pulled off a near-miracle. I wish more would put in even half as much effort before posting whatever crazy plotbunny hops through their heads.

I actually saw one clown in a fic group argue his canon-raping fic was in canon because at the end, he said "it was all a dream." Talk about wanting to go through the monitor and strangle a putz. :laughing:

To be fair that wasn't canon. James Potter wasn't an auror in canon and the reason for Harry surviving aged one was explained fully.

What's New

9/26/2024
The TMF Chatroom is always busy and its free1
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back