• If you would like to get your account Verified, read this thread
  • The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Lady Gaga, did she plagarize?

melanie2

4th Level Blue Feather
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsVcUzP_O_8

Here is a video of Madonna's "Express Yourself"...

At last night's Grammy Awards, Lady Gaga sang her new song....something about being reborn."Born This Way"..she came out of an egg...as we listened, i said that sounds vaguely familiar...and it was my husband who said, "It sounds almost exactly like 'Express Yourself'"

Give the world about a hundred more years or so and eventually every new thing that comes out will be plagiarized.

History does repeat itself but only people of a certain age will remember, those over say 30 iam 33 so i think rox is right.

The greater the age the more you will remember i guess

Unless the lyrics were the same, I don't think it can be considered plagiarism.

I heard this being talked about on the radio yesterday morning, and while the songs do seem to sound similarly; I don't think you can copyright a tune, just the lyrics that go along with said tune.

Think again. Musical composition most definitely falls under umbrella of works that are valid for copyrights. For example, recall 1984 when Huey Lewis and the News sued Ray Parker Jr. for stealing the tune of "I Want a New Drug."

Hmmm. That just seems weird to me. I dunno, but I suppose that's why I stay out of the area of legal disputes.
I guess it makes sense, but again; I hate our legal system.

Remember when the Dole campaign got sued for changing the words, but still used the music for "I'm a Soul Man"?

I guess it makes sense, but again; I hate our legal system.

Except it's not "our legal system," it's the Berne Convention, which is recognized in the vast majority of the world and recognize's an artist's right to their work once the idea is put into an actual piece that can be seen, heard, or what have you. You'd do well not to dismiss things out of hand but to actually know the world you live in.

Give the world about a hundred more years or so and eventually every new thing that comes out will be plagiarized.

And that's not entirely accurate. Copyright protections don't tend to last a century. 😉

Except it's not "our legal system," it's the Berne Convention, which is recognized in the vast majority of the world and recognize's an artist's right to their work once the idea is put into an actual piece that can be seen, heard, or what have you. You'd do well not to dismiss things out of hand but to actually know the world you live in.
I don't intend on producing anything that might infringe on a copyright, so I don't have the overbearing need to study about something so utterly trivial.

I've learned enough about this disgusting world to last me a lifetime, so I think I'll just stick with Astronomy for now. 😉

Is this similar to when Coldplay were sued for a similar thing? The backing to Viva la Vida was matched to a piece a guitarist had put together, I'm not sure how that turned out though

It was pretty easily proven in their favor. They had a demo of the song that predated the suing band's (The Creaky Boards) song.

You know that egg hatching thing that she did? The World Wrestling Federation did it about 21 years ago at Survivor Series. Hah!

I haven't heard the song in its entirety, so I can't comment right now. I've heard sniplets of it and changed station rather disappointedly. I'd heard that her new album was supposed to be more rock-oriented, but that was definitely not "rock-oriented".

But Bella Donna is right. There are so many examples, too: George Harrison's "My Sweet Lord", Chubby Checker's "Dancin' Party", Avril Lavigne's "Girlfriend", the Beach Boys' "Surfin' U.S.A.", etc.

What's New

9/22/2024
There will be Trivia in our Chat Room this Sunday Eve at 11PM EDT.
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back