• If you would like to get your account Verified, read this thread
  • The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Mac OS X questions! (flaming windows)

somebody231

4th Level Red Feather
I do NOT have a Macintosh... but I'm interested in knowing something about it.
I have windows for it's too sucky abilities...

Microsoft sucks... I hate Internet Explorer, so I changed it into Mozilla Firefox (IE doesn't allow TAB, it is based on the system files etc. and I want, that about all of the programs ARE NOT related to the Operating System... I don't know why).

I hate it with windows, that it stores too much stuff to everywhere... If you want to delete something, you'll find out 2 years from there, that in the system files (WINDOWS -directory), there are hidden files... that are the ones, you have/had on your computer... AND I HATE IT! :sigh:

All of that... and the IE just bugs me... fills my comp with hidden media/things I don't want, so people, who are experts at computers, can find skeletons in my closet (for example my fetish for tickling/feet)... and I just hate the possibilities.

I hope in the future, someone really makes an Operating System, that allows the user to REALLY delete things and REALLY not keep anything hidden files, that aren't NECESSARY...

Doesn't that bug you guys & girls too?

I would love, if someone would expand this thread... because I'm interested in this matter (how Mac works). Screenshots and stuff are greatly appreciated.

There are a lot of things I dislike about Windows. Switching over to Mac only is a possibility but there just isn't a great software selection for Mac.
Another thing is the cost. A Mac costs WAY more than a similarly equipped PC and as far as I know it's really hard to upgrade and add bits to it. I would also never buy a computer that had a moniter actually as part of it for the same reason I wouldn't buy a tv/dvd/vcr combo. If one part goes bad the whole thing is unusable.
From what I've seen at the computer stores Macs aren't as advanced as PCs and always seem to be one step behind with processor speed, etc.

Has anyone got any experience with a dual-boot system? Either Windows/Mac or Windows/Linux?

Windows/Mac dual-boot would be a bit difficult, since it's two different hardware platforms. Windows/Linux dual-boot is nice, now there are some "end user" linux distributions (Mandrake, Fedora, Ubuntu). A nice idea, if you wanna try, is to download a linux "live cd" (which runs from CD and RAM, without writing anything on HD) like Knoppix, and to give it a try 😉

Don't like the idea of WIndows keeping tabs on you? Wipe it every few months! Just copy all your files to a disk or external hard drive (Or if you are good, set up a separate partition on your hard disk and save all important files there. Then wipe windows as much as needed without losing anything.) and reformat+departition the hard drive. Reinstall windows. All clean!

I second the comment of bobbtklr. Try a Linux boot disk. All the wonder of Linux without installing a thing. :happy:

I've heard about those, bob and HDS. I've only got one CD drive...would the OS run from RAM (in which case I'd need more than 512k right?) or would it tie up my CD drive while it was running?
Also it runs without Windows running AT ALL but all my files are accesable and all my programs will run?
Can ya'll point me to a website? Thanks!

Well, there are some sites that sell it to you on CD, while others offer it as a free download which you then burn on a disk. I am reasonably sure it does tie up the 'ol CD drive, and I am also reasonably sure that, if they are compatible, your programs will open in Linux. It should work with 512 megs, since Windows is what uses so much RAM. Additionally, most of them COME with a suite of programs. Knoppix and ADIOS are the two to pay attention to.

Options: SUSE Linux. http://www.suse.com/us/private/products/suse_linux/ See the free download option at the side?

Debian: http://www.debian.org/

Gentoo: http://www.gentoo.org/

ADIOS: http://dc.qut.edu.au/adios/ THIS is what you want.

Knoppix: http://www.gnoppix.org/ Or Knoppix.

Tutorial-thingy: http://www.builderau.com.au/architect/sdi/0,39024602,20269582,00.htm

Need more? I can find.

Awesome, HDS, you kick major quantities of ass. 😀
I'll check these out tomorrow and see if something works for me. 😀 😀
I don't use a lot of programs really. My computer is like 4 or 5 years old so I don't buy new games anymore and Im bored of my old ones. I've got my browser (Opera), MS Office, Photoshop, Vegas4, and a few assorted Flash based games.
Thanks again!!
*smothers HDS in hugs and kisses*

*Retches* Bah.

Well, anything flash can probably run in whatever browser Linux is bundled in, so long as it has Flash support. There are programs out there that can open any Office document (OpenOffice comes to mind) and I am sure they will include one with it.

And I just thought of this last night. If you REALLY want options, repartition your Hard drive (Warning: erases all data), set up three or more separate partitions. Use one for file storage and don't put any programs or OS's on it. Then install Windows on one of the other partitions, and Linux on the other. Then you can choose which to boot in BIOS, and always have the option of switching. Any programs you want for Windows can go in Windows' partition, and any for Linux can go in Linux. Niftiness extreme!

...........Techno-geek moment. 😛

Actually, these days Macs have the Linix shell built right into their system so they are much much more stable. If you get sick of the OS GUI, it's just a simple click away to pull up a terminal and access everything from the command line.

Yes, Macs are more expensive, and their software is also such, but that's to be expected. They were once more or less asked to step out of the computer world and let Microsoft and IBM take over. However, the prices is their only flaw.

The G5 is the best processor out there right now. And I will admit that if you're a huge gaming fan, then you should stick with a PC, but otherwise Macs are perfect. And as to your deleting question, I have never ONCE found a file on here that I deleted. When they're gone, they're gone.

🙂 But of course this is coming from someone who is using a G4 iBook right now, so I could be biased...but I do know a lot about computers and can answer most questions.

Thanks for all the replies! 😀

HDS, I'm not so good with computers... so I'll let it just be.
(If I'd mess with my comp more than merely search things in it, it'd probably be the last time doing that... since I'd probly wind up the thing that bad... that it wouldn't work at all...)

I didn't thought about Linux either... hmm... 😎 *interested*
I just hate the way Windows is like a "spying software" ... a OS spyware system *laughs* :happy:
Hey wait a minute?!? What am I laughing about?? 😀
O-oh, Billy Gates has got his eyes on my harddrive... hmm. A movie name came to my head... "Kill Bill" 🙂 hehheh... I hate it, that Mr.Gates and his beloved Microsoft company has a grip so tight... that it smothers all other opponents with it's grasp...

I just get the expression, that in 2050 or so... I can still see "Windows Whatever edition" OS requirements in all packages... and I can almost see "Billy's" laughing face in it... :sigh:

Bah... I'm talking nonsence again... silly me.
LOL I should really lay off the "..." triple dot using. I put it almost to every sentence(...) <---- Wasn't an accident 😀
Gotta leave my trademark, you know? 😉
Yeye... <--- muahaha! Anyone have screenshots of other OS's, than "WinGates... uuhhh, I mean windows!" 🙂

^^ haha! : Just checked my latest reply ... guess what? Besides "..." , I just incredible amounts of smileys 🙂🙂🙂🙂😀😀😀😀😉😉😉😀🙂🙂 ... ... ... ... <---- 🙂 ...

M'Lady Kit, a builtin shell is nothing impressive. Windows has its "Command Line" tool too (right, this one suck). If you don't know what to do with your shell, it's absolutely useless (until someone who knows need to repair you computer).

But it's true that MacOSX has some Unix roots, but this is only interesting for Unix people. Windows people won't pay a dollar for Unix roots in their OS.

nessonite: about memory usage for "Live CDs", don't worry. The technology between them (at least between knoppix) does not decompress the whole CD to ram, only parts (e.g applications) that are needed. This ensures it will work on a 256Mb machine without trouble. The only drawback (except the read-onlyness of the CD) is that application starting will be somewhat slower than from hard disk. The time to decompress the application...

If you REALLY want options, repartition your Hard drive (Warning: erases all data), set up three or more separate partitions. Use one for file storage and don't put any programs or OS's on it. Then install Windows on one of the other partitions, and Linux on the other. Then you can choose which to boot in BIOS, and always have the option of switching.
Ohhh I've heard about that! Cant you set it to prompt you when you boot up as to which OS you want to use?
I have (or had) Open Office and it's fine except for all my web work uses FrontPage. I was thinking about switching to something else though so it's not a huge deal.

Okay that brings up all new questions. Normally I wouldnt be so inquisitive but I know you enjoy showing off what a techy geek you are. 😀
I need a bigger hard drive anyway soooo...
Is it possible to keep this hard drive as a slave for storage and delete the windoes stuff...and buy a new bigger hard drive for Windows and Linux and more storage?
Please say yes please say yes...
If so what Linux program would I want to get? Are they expensive? I havent actually PAID for software in AGES. 😛

Macs are excellent. They are well built, both hardware and software, and offer excellent value for money.

There are no viruses for the Mac, nor is there any spyware. The standard browser (Safari) prevents pop ups too (like Mozilla et al).

They are no more or less upgradable than PCs - they take the same RAM, the same hard disks, the same CD drives etc. The only difference really is the motherboard and the CPU.

A lot of emphasis is put on how much Macs cost, but when you add it up, they're pretty price competitive, it's just that Apple doesn't make a cheap-ass model to compete with Dell, Gateway, Compaq and all that shit. They start at midrange and go up. Laptops specifically are excellent value - look at the iBook and find me a comparable PC laptop for the same money - you won't find one. 1Ghz, 256ram, 60Gb HD, 5 hour battery life, DVD/CDRW, 12" screen and only 5 pounds in weight. Plus it comes with OS X - a Unix based OS that is very well designed and is light years ahead of Windows.

<a href="http://jo-ham.com/tt/osx-screenshot.jpg">Here's a screenshot</a> of my desktop taken about 5 minutes ago. The text in Safari is how it appears in all OS X apps - firefox, Safari, TextEdit, Mail etc. It's all beautiful and antialiased. I looked at a Windows box the other day and though "eww, how ugly!" I couldn't go back to using a Windows machine now.

I have a 15" Powerbook and it's fantastic. I use it for work (professional video and media production) and for fun - browsing TickleTheater, playing FPS games (Quake III, Unreal Tournament 2004, Halo etc) and chatting - I use IM, but there are a full range of chat apps for the Mac - all the official chat programs (IM, MSN, Yahoo etc) but the third party apps are much better than the official ones. I use Adium for chatting on IM because it gives me insane customisation, transparent windows, flexibility and stability.

My current uptime is 11 days, 46 minutes. I had to reboot a couple of weeks ago for some reason (I forget now). I think my record is something like 3 months without rebooting with no ill effects. I think a software update killed that.

Crashes are rare, and if a program crashes, it doesn't bring the whole system down with it.

The Dock is awesome, and Expose is too hard to describe - you have to see it in action to realise how awesome it is. In fact, you can see it here: http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/expose/

Have a look at Apple's pages on OS X. http://www.apple.com/macosx/

Mozilla's slogan is "use a better browser" because IE sucks.

Apple's should be "use a better operating system" because Windows sucks.

The best thing to do is go down to an Apple store and have a look at the machines in the flesh. You'll be very impressed.

The only reason I DON'T switch to Apple is because I am a PC gamer, and a good percentage of my games don't like Mac. Plus, once you know how to disable most of Windows' annoying and intrusive options, it is quite nice. You simply have to know what to kill.

Ness......GET DREAMWEAVER MX!!!! I COMMAND THEE!!!! *Gasp* Anywho, yes, you can slave any hard drive (Of reasonably newness) to another, although you may need a RAID controller of some sort. Lots of people do just that. And several of the Linux pages I showed you feature free downloads. Linux, after all, is open source.

bobbtklr said:
But it's true that MacOSX has some Unix roots, but this is only interesting for Unix people. Windows people won't pay a dollar for Unix roots in their OS.

Some Unix roots?!

Mac OS X is a BSD-based OS! Evolved from OpenStep and NextStep.

It couldn't be any more Unix if it tried!

The BSD core of OS X is also very useful - it has Apache bolted right onto it, so you can serve webpages easily, it is easily accessed with the Terminal, giving you a shell (you can use bash, tcsh or whatever flavour you choose) and more importantly, you can run an X server on the top of it, meaning you can use a huge host of open source software created for unix really easily, as well as the apps that have already been ported to use the Mac's native GUI.

Gaming, yeah, that can be a problem. But I have Quake III, Elite Force 1 and 2, Halo and Unreal Tournament 2004 to keep me busy.

HDS My hard drive is about 3 years old, much younger than my computer so slaving shouldnt be a problem.
Yes Dreamweaver MX is the web authoring tool I was looking at. I don't really NEED FrontPage for anything FrontPageish. I'm pretty annoyed with it's rewriting any code I import in. Big bad webmistress that I am I have one client and I recently redid thier site so that FrontPage isn't necessary for it's survival in case I make a switch.
Is there any particular Linux I can download that is especially suited for dual-booting and/or stupid non-Linux using ignorant newbies? 😛

If you hate Micro$oft, then you'll love this .gif (the message changes to something else 😉 ).

Attachments

• computer_humor0011.gif
    computer_humor0011.gif
    4.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
joham said:
Some Unix roots?!

Mac OS X is a BSD-based OS! Evolved from OpenStep and NextStep.

That's absolutely true, but that is useless for the average user. Except the computer geek that dreamt of NeXT years ago (like me 😛 ), it won't make the difference.

joham said:
It couldn't be any more Unix if it tried!

Of course it could! Only its roots are Unix. The whole user environment is more inspired by Macintosh ideas than Unix, even if one could argue that OpenStep should have been considered as the next step (no joke intended) in Unix evolution.

joham said:
The BSD core of OS X is also very useful - it has Apache bolted right onto it,

Apache runs on Windows, on BeOS and maybe others. And those aren't especially Unix-based (or every OS under the sun is Unix-based).

joham said:
it is easily accessed with the Terminal, giving you a shell

This isn't Unix-only: a command-line shell exists in almost every os (Windows and BeOS too, like I said).

joham said:
more importantly, you can run an X server on the top of it, meaning you can use a huge host of open source software created for unix really easily,

An X server (many ones, actually) already exists on Windows (and BeOS, yeah). That won't make it Unix.

joham said:
Gaming, yeah, that can be a problem. But I have Quake III, Elite Force 1 and 2, Halo and Unreal Tournament 2004 to keep me busy.

That wouldn't be a problem for me, since I've been a Linux user for many years, and I my gaming interest shifted from "blockbusters" to funny little free games and console emulators.

Actually, MacOSX is really the best thing that could happen to Apple. But still it's a bit expensive (and too closed for me, but that's philosophy).

Only the GUI is closed. Anything Quartz and above. The core of the OS is open (Darwin). It's about as good as you'll get from a major computer company who wants to combine open source with making money (unless you're a Red Hat vendor or something), but if it doesn't match your philosiphy then that's fine (yours is just as valid as people who won't run MS software for any reason).

The things I noted above aren't unique to OS X, as you say, but OS X is the first system to combine them all so gracefully. Show me a Unix or Linux system that can run a bash shell connected to a BSD core alongside Photoshop (or any other big name app that many people use).

Yes, you can run apache on Windows and other OSes, but OS X makes it easy for new and inexperienced users to use it - it's all controlled from simple GUI panels in the preferences (or from the shell if you want to get hot and heavy with it).

The way it mixes user-freindly use with power user use so well is really what makes it so good.

nessonite said:
HDS My hard drive is about 3 years old, much younger than my computer so slaving shouldnt be a problem.
Yes Dreamweaver MX is the web authoring tool I was looking at. I don't really NEED FrontPage for anything FrontPageish. I'm pretty annoyed with it's rewriting any code I import in. Big bad webmistress that I am I have one client and I recently redid thier site so that FrontPage isn't necessary for it's survival in case I make a switch.
Is there any particular Linux I can download that is especially suited for dual-booting and/or stupid non-Linux using ignorant newbies? 😛

Well, Debian has a nice guide here: http://www.aboutdebian.com/dualboot.htm. Another guide, more general: http://heather.cs.ucdavis.edu/~matloff/Linux/LinuxInstall.pdf. Those should do it, as they, especially the second, explain it far better than I could. 😛

MistressValerie, thanks for the gif, it was nice 😉
joham, thanks for the screenshot ^^ that's exactly what I needed : something to dream about instead of this ***** windows 😀

Valerie, that exploit has been so overblown.

It's a standard BSD rootkit that's been around for a long time. It's pretty nasty, but it needs to be user installed (and it needs root access to do so, so you need an admin password to begin with).

You'd have to trick the user into running it, or be at the machine directly.

joham said:
Valerie, that exploit has been so overblown.

It's a standard BSD rootkit that's been around for a long time. It's pretty nasty, but it needs to be user installed (and it needs root access to do so, so you need an admin password to begin with).

You'd have to trick the user into running it, or be at the machine directly.

For sure, comparend to usual windows exploits (all those lovely worms), it's almost nothing.

What's New

9/20/2024
Clips4Sale offers the most tickling clips in one place on the entire web.
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back