• If you would like to get your account Verified, read this thread
  • The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Mairead's Music: Hip Hop Edition

chicag0

TMF Master
I'll be the first to say I'm not entirely knowledgeable about hip hop. At least, not as much as I'd like. The stuff they play on the radio is horrible and offensive. (Please explain to me the logic of a young woman listening to songs that degrade her?) Then again, most music on the radio sucks anyway.

And I figured if I ever want to actually write about music, I should know about all genres, not just shit that appeals to me. I've listened to some that I like, but as a whole, I've never really been interested.

The early shit like Kurtis Blow and Grandmaster Flash is awesome, but I wanted to look for good stuff that's being made now. So, here's the list I've compiled so far of some of the better mainstream and underground hip hop.

Try not to be too judgmental since I'm still a noob and all those that approach hip hop with a narrow mind should probably leave now. I don't want any "Rap is crap, man!" comments. It just makes you look retarded.

1. Common

-His early stuff is apparently really awesome, but I just recently came across a compilation of music from his albums "Be," "Like Water For Chocolate," "Electric Circus," and others, mostly from 2000 on. Some of my favorite songs are "Testify" off the 2005 album "Be" which was produced by Kanye West and features vocal samples of Honey Cone's "Innocent Until Proven Guilty" (although I think the samples were re-recorded by a different singer for this song)...

http://www.youtube.com/v/WebILJKDms8

...and "Faithful" off the same album and also produced by Kanye West. It features samples of DJ Roger's "Faithful To The End" song and guest vocals by John Legend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsZdXpgifo8

(embedding disabled 🙁 )

2. Immortal Technique

He's highly political and spits rhymes like he's spitting venom. His songs are really angry, so he might appeal to others into punk and metal. "Freedom of Speech" and "Dominant Species" are some of his better songs I've come across. (He's got some cool songs about Bush and Osama Bin Laden. I'm just sick of hearing about that shit.)

"Freedom of Speech"

http://www.youtube.com/v/WCYbZZTEwiM

"Dominant Species"

http://www.youtube.com/v/2AXnS3y4knQ

3. The Fugees

Possibly my favorite on this list, known for their hits in the mid-90's. Sucks they broke up and Lauryn Hill went nuts, though.

"Ready or Not"

http://www.youtube.com/v/bA1PAkKD3Q4

"Fu-Gee-La"

http://www.youtube.com/v/TgbAHqwhNl0

4. Lupe Fiasco

More recent and mainstream than some of the previous listed, but genuinely talented nonetheless. Jay-Z described him as a "breath of fresh air" in the current mainstream hip hop scene. His first hit was that song about skateboarding "Kick, Push" which I didn't really like, but here are some other songs that seem cool. One of which opens with the theme from Revenge of the Nerds, which means it's automatically awesome.

"Lupe The Killer"

http://www.youtube.com/v/5QvxoJuDRkY

"Us Placers"

http://www.youtube.com/v/-xz8FXgLpI4

5. MF Doom

Born in Britain, raised in Long Island by a Trinidadian mother and Zimbabwean father, he has rapped under many different names such as Zev Love X, Victor Vaugh, and now I guess he just goes by Doom. His biggest album was MadVillainy produced with Madlib under the group name MadVillain.

"ALL CAPS"

http://www.youtube.com/v/ewc1hixzYPY

Last edited:
My favorite artists/groups are Bone Thugs -N- Harmony, Three 6 Mafia, T.I., Twista, Project Pat and The Game.

Yeah, I know they make songs about offensive things like murder, drugs, robbery, rape/sex... and even devil worship, like Three 6 Mafia and Bone Thugs did when they first started. But that's not ALL they rap about. They also rap about life in the neighborhoods they grew up in, crooked cops, family issues, etc. Those are the songs that the radio stations don't bother to play, which is why I only listen to CD's. Radio stations just play "clean" versions of the more offensive songs because they happen to be the most requested songs. I believe this is why some people say rap is "crap." They just watch the music videos and get pissed off when they see the scantily clad models. They don't bother to buy their albums and listen to all the songs.

I must admit that the rap songs that appeal to me the most are the ones about murder, drugs, robbery, and rebellion against authority. I don't condone muder or robbery. I just like those particular songs because they have good tracks and catchy lyrics.

The songs that disappoint me are the ones that talk about sex, pimping, and prostitution. I'm also sick of the rappers who only rap about their possessions. Nobody wants to hear about how much money you make in one week, compared to everybody else... or how many mansions and expensive cars you have... or how many diamonds are in your grill and around your neck. They're just trying to inspire envy and make other people feel worthless.

I'm glad to know I'm not the one here who listens to rap.

Look up Aesop Rock. If you like hip hop that isn't about drugs, sex, and guns, that vein of hip hop should be perfect for you. 😉

The only hip hop/ rap I like is KMK........Kotton Mouth Kings. Not thier new stuff, but the first few albums. Good tunes if your a stoner. I used to be a pot head, but I still like thier songs.

no sage frances?

Like I said in the original post, I'm just seriously getting into hip hop now and I have only looked into a few artists. My list is ever-growing from suggestions from my boyfriend and those that posted here and on TMF. Unfortunately, I haven't heard of Sage Frances. Any suggestions on album or song?

Ah...I listen to Hip Hop.... a very interesting genre.

It does indeed have songs that degrade women...yes... but every genre has content like that... Rock and even Country have their woman degrading moments as well...

To make one example, some sub-genres of Rock especially have their moments, like Death rock and or Death Metal (Please explain to me the logic of any one listening to songs that glorify disillusionment, loss, depression, death, mutilation, dissection, torture, rape and necrophilia... especially when youngsters in society listen to it...)

I'm not saying that the rock genre and its sub-genres have only those characteristics... but the point is no other genre of music filled exclusively with negative antisocial context.

Now for the Thread! Sorry to get off track...

The stuff they play on the radio, is for a certain audience... the Club/Dancing audience...

You know, stuff that will get you moving and groovin'...

The artists that you have listed, have good merit in their songs, but the music they have would not do well with the Club/Dancing audience, that's why it gets little to no play at all.

You pretty much nailed most of the good positive artists that are out.... However, you may want to try to look further into more mainstream artists actual albums ...(aka...don't believe in everything you here on the radio) 🙂

For example, here's an interesting song by the artist Chamillionaire...

With "Evening News"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UruJKq5kaUM

I'll think of more, when I get out of my Trance music mode... 😀

Well, I don't really listen to death metal. Have yet to find anything I like. I just can't relate to it.

And I didn't mean to put it in a way that came across that rap was the only genre that degraded women, but as a young woman I'm not going to listen to songs that use terms to put down my entire demographic.

I understand why the music listed doesn't get radio play and I'm completely fine with that. In fact, it's probably better this way.

But Chamillionaire? I mean, I'm glad he kept the last album clean and all, but from what I have heard of him and what I'm reading about him, he doesn't seem that creative.

Of the artists that are mainstream, (besides Lupe Fiasco, Common, and The Roots who have had multiple songs on the radio) I could probably get into Lil Wayne and Kanye West isn't bad, though he needs to stop that singing shit.

Like I said in the original post, I'm just seriously getting into hip hop now and I have only looked into a few artists. My list is ever-growing from suggestions from my boyfriend and those that posted here and on TMF. Unfortunately, I haven't heard of Sage Frances. Any suggestions on album or song?

my fav is "slow down gandhi"

My philosophy on music (which I'm sure some subscribe to, and everyone else will poo-poo or ignore ) is that... lyrics are unimportant. 50 cent saying he'd like to fuck me and leave me or whatever doesn't really affect my life, because he won't. Came a point in my life when I stopped giving a shit about lyrics and just listen to whatever has a good sound.

But I'd also like to point that I, in no way, shape or form, condone 50 cent's music. It's awful. :lol

I think music and lyrics are important. I mean, if you think lyrics don't matter, that seems kind of retarded and makes me question your taste in music, to be honest. I mean, I don't get offended by music that degrade women, but it makes no sense for me to listen to it. Not to mention, it shows whoever wrote the lyrics is kind of dim-witted.

well, i am mostly into rock now but i like some rap still from when i was younger i don't like todays rap that much but i like old stuff tupac is still good i think bone thugs n harmony are great there best album i think is eternal 1999 snoop dogg is good but his old stuff is the best but thats just what i think

I think there is a huge misconception about hip-hop these days that it all consists of lyrics about sex, violence, drugs, rape, murder, and so on. Or that the artists just steal others music to make a song.

The truth is, like most music that is mainstream, there is really only a small percentage that is actually all around good music, a small percentage of genuinely talented artists. You have to actively dig for good music, and a lot of people are fine with doing that. If you put in a little effort to researching what's under the radar, I think most people would be surprised to see what they find.

For the love of all things holy, stay away from Lil Wayne, in no way is he hip hop.

Well, I don't really listen to death metal. Have yet to find anything I like. I just can't relate to it.

And I didn't mean to put it in a way that came across that rap was the only genre that degraded women, but as a young woman I'm not going to listen to songs that use terms to put down my entire demographic.

I understand why the music listed doesn't get radio play and I'm completely fine with that. In fact, it's probably better this way.

But Chamillionaire? I mean, I'm glad he kept the last album clean and all, but from what I have heard of him and what I'm reading about him, he doesn't seem that creative.

Of the artists that are mainstream, (besides Lupe Fiasco, Common, and The Roots who have had multiple songs on the radio) I could probably get into Lil Wayne and Kanye West isn't bad, though he needs to stop that singing shit.

That's alright... I was just putting out an example of how all genre's of music have their own negative content... I mentioned Death Metal, because of it's dark content...possibly even worse then anything in any other music. Hip Hop from what I'm reading, seems to get a lot negative connotations around it... But most people tend to forget the fact that hip hop is not the only genre with bad stuff in it...

You're also absolutely right, you shouldn't have to listen to any music that degrade women... in ANY music genre, that is... 😉

For the artist Chamillionaire, what I gave you was an interesting gem, that shows off a creative nature, that few artists (most exclusively to hip hop artists)produce these days ... Might I also add that this song was NOT played on the radio during chamiilionaire's peek time with the album... 😉

That's why to really help you find some more Hip Hop artists for your interests, I suggest exploring their albums further instead of listening to radio singles, for they don't give you the full creative potential of the artist... besides rapping about, women degrading and the like... Also reading another's opinion will get you nowhere, Other's opinions are somewhat not a valid tool for your own decision making... You'll have to experience it yourself to see what you prefer... Give it a chance, my friend.
🙂

I'm not saying that you're a person who only listens to the radio songs... you'll find more by looking into more commercial artist songs that don't get radio play...

Cool beans! However you'll have to be careful with Kanye and Lil' Wayne, for they are both hip hop artists who are beginning to make music that is taking steps away from Hip Hop!

Last edited:
Yeah, Kanye West has done some cool things, especially as a producer, but his new album is horrible. He needs to stop that singing shit.

I don't like Lil' Wayne, either... My brother just gave me a copy of his new album, and all the songs sucked ass.

Plus, the lyrics on one of his earlier songs, that I forgot the name of, are very similar to the lyrics on one of Bone Thugs -N- Harmony's songs, the Intro song on the Eternal 1999 album. That makes him a biter as well as a wack rapper.

I'm not much of a Kanye West fan, either. The only song I like by him is "Jesus Walks" because the track is very good. It has kind of a military feel to it.

What's New

9/19/2024
The TMF Archives hold colections of our communities creators work, take a look!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back