• If you would like to get your account Verified, read this thread
  • The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Man Shot At Teenagers Who Were Toilet Papering His House, Do You Agree?

JimBoy

TMF Regular
Looks like stupid teen pranksters need to be careful because nowadays more home-owners are shooting first and calling the police later when people are on their property...

Over in Michigan at 1 in the morning a man was awoken by people running around his front yard and laughing. He grabbed his shotgun and ran outside, he fired a warning shot in the air and as the teen pranksters were fleeing he aimed and fired twice.

He shot a 14 year old in the chest and leg, thankfully nobody died. Prosecutors are now aiming to go after this man.

Did this man do the right thing here?
http://www.mlive.com/grpress/news/index.ssf/2008/10/kent_county_prosecutor_william.html

No, they shouldn't be allowed to press charges they were on his property without his permission at an unreasonable hour & he had every right to shoot at them. So yes I hope they learned their lessons b/c people dont play.

the warning shot was enough, since they started to flee..

people get their houses TP'd here lots of times..from opposing football teams etc..no one goes out and shoots at them...

if these kids had broken into his house, it would have been a different story..

If teenagers can beat up a homless person to death just because he wanted some chips, then I think you should be able to shoot them for toilet paper.

........nah...j/k. the guy went a little to far.

In the man's defense, he didn't know they were kids who were just toilet papering his property. He didn't see any toilet paper until after he fired.

He heard noises, saw a car that he didn't recognize near his garage, and saw a group of people. The man was justified in opening fire. It doesn't matter if they are fleeing, you don't know their intentions and they were on his property.

I hope acquittal of all charges.

He heard noises, saw a car that he didn't recognize near his garage, and saw a group of people. The man was justified in opening fire.

By that same logic, if a soliciter pulled up to my house and I had no idea they were there to sell me magazines, I can start blasting away. That is awesome! I'll never have to deal with another annoying door-to-door salesman again!

By that same logic, if a soliciter pulled up to my house and I had no idea they were there to sell me magazines, I can start blasting away. That is awesome! I'll never have to deal with another annoying door-to-door salesman again!

Depending on where you reside and its laws, simply being on your property and you not knowing their intentions you can legally open fire. You however must present the fact that you really felt you were threatened.

By this man's particular case, he did feel he was in a threat due to those details. People wandering around on your property at that hour you can't take any chances.
Don't think door-to-door salesman go around that late so your attempt at making a point is flawed.

The use of deadly force in self-defense is permitted when a person reasonably believes death or great bodily harm is imminent, or that a sexual assault is about to be committed.

They weren't in his home according to the article. The warning shot should have sufficed before calling the police. I wouldn't consider a fleeing person, probably screaming to death, to be enough of a threat to fire a second or third shot directly at them.

I don't think he deserves jail time for this case. However, he should pay for any medical bills incurred and also attend a gun safety course. The punk kids should be ordered to do some community service hours as well. I'm not siding with either of them, just pointing out the misuse of deadly force shouldn't be overlooked.

Well, just because someone's running towards a car, doesn't mean they plan on leaving. I know in this case they almost certainly were, but at 1 am someone parked in on your property, running around your place and you fire a warning shot...They may be going to get their own weapons to return fire.

I've faced down people in my driveway before at much earlier hours. It's scary as hell when you don't know if the dude is armed or not. If it had happened where we used to live at 1 am, I wouldn't have given a warning shot. Too much risk of the next shot coming AT me as opposed to FROM me. You speak to them, but if you let them know you're armed, you'd better have a bead on them.

If he really felt he was in danger, then yes, he acted correctly. I woulda felt in danger, because I wouldn't know if they got buddies in my garage. Which is ridiculous that they don't count it as a dwelling. The garage was 60 yards away according to the article. That's a lot of ground to see over, at night, when the brightest source of light is coming from the spot you're trying to see. You could hide 4 guys in that spot who you can't see. But they can see you. Potentially hugely dangerous.

Sammi, if a salesman pulled up to my house at 1 am, I'd definitely greet him with a shotgun. 1 pm, not so much.

CJ

Sammi, if a salesman pulled up to my house at 1 am, I'd definitely greet him with a shotgun. 1 pm, not so much.

CJ

Are you kidding? He'd totally get the shotgun at 1 pm. I want that last hour of sleep, dammit! He's more than welcome to drop by at 1 am, though. I'm actually awake then. 😉

I would've fired a warning shot as well, though shooting kids would probably be an absolute last-resort if they did'nt take it seriously and started attacking me if the warning shot did'nt scare them off first...but that's just me

The warning shot was enough, and the guy hearing laughing should have been a clue that it wasn't anything serious.

I don't judge the actions of others, unlessI have every single bit of knowledge. Let God Sort them out.

It's kinda funny really.

People have been TPing houses for decades. But now because old folks want to start shooting, who wants to bet that within three years, the majority of the US will have strict laws specifically against toilet paper?

this is a tough thing. the hollywood brother can understand how pissed off someone might be if a group of degenerate maggots messed with the hollywood brother property. the thing is what do you do to defend your property? The hollywood brother thinks in this day and age of violence it can be understood why a guy would shoot if some jabroni no goodneck is attacking his or her property. now if it is young children that stop when you yell at them, there should be no shooting at all. if the actions keep up and you feel threatend then maybe you defend the old homestead like john wayne would there pilgrim. the bottom line is that the hollywood brother can understand the pulling of a gun, the shooting of a suspect but unless the hollywood brother was in the guys situation at that very point in time, the hollywood brother do not know if he would of taken target practice with the holigans that showed no respect for law and order and probably should of served hard time as the wrestler known as the big bossman used to say

The warning shot was enough, and the guy hearing laughing should have been a clue that it wasn't anything serious.

Not necessarily. Just because someone has serious bad stuff planned doesn't mean they won't laugh. People have been known to laugh when they're scared or angry, or just plan being a menace. That's how we found out about the first drug deal behind our house in Akron. We heard someone out back laughing.

Then we bought the shotgun.

CJ

At 1 in the morning most deffinetley u dont know what peoples intentions are these days. How do we even know he aimed his gun directly at the 14 year old, the 14 year old may have been in the line of fire. I'm tellin u something I was raised in the south, but I deffinetely know if u can successfully break into someones house down her e& not leve with a bullet lodged in u somewhere then u are a god. B/c these people dont play, they have shotguns & rifles all over their houses.

Mr. Speaker when will this toilet paper madness END! Now BLOOD runs in the streets!

But honestly if he felt that his life was in danger then he had every right to open fire. We don't know what the kids were yelling or if they were being verbally abusive. He didn't know what the intent of these teens were. When you go out on Cabbage Night you don't select the house of a person you don't know. The kids are idiots if they just selected a random house. Granted these kids were just partaking in a tradition, but when all the chips are down the rights of personal defense and safety must prevail.

unjustified. the kids shouldnt have been there. ill give you that. were they readily threatening any bodily harm? actually, werent they fleeing? was any self defense in order?

no, he was not in the immediate way of harm. after the warning shot they did exit or at least attempt to, exit off his property so they were fleeing. was self defense needed to defend against FLEEING teenagers? i believe not. unjustified. this alone would have just made this whole scene of things rediculous. but it was the fact that someone got hurt while he was being so reckless.

unjustified. the kids shouldnt have been there. ill give you that. were they readily threatening any bodily harm? actually, werent they fleeing? was any self defense in order?

no, he was not in the immediate way of harm. after the warning shot they did exit or at least attempt to, exit off his property so they were fleeing. was self defense needed to defend against FLEEING teenagers? i believe not. unjustified. this alone would have just made this whole scene of things rediculous. but it was the fact that someone got hurt while he was being so reckless.

This case falls under the Castle Doctrine since he was on his own property. If he felt that his life was threatened then he has every right to self-defense. Can you prove that he was not fearing for his life or the lives of his family. He gave a warning shot, yes. The key part of the case which we do not have evidence for is the kids reaction after the warning shot. We can't really decide until we set aside the hearsay. However, I personally will err on the side of people defending their families and property.

I talked to this Russian black market dealer. I think he goes by "Lucky" Chekov. He'll get you the good ones: The blue globby kind they shot back in the '60s.

What's New

9/21/2024
Visit the TMF Welcome forum and take a second to say hello to us!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back