• If you would like to get your account Verified, read this thread
  • The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

No Joke-Save Our Cats & Kittens From Fishermen Society- Yes, as sick as it sounds.

Babbles

2nd Level Orange Feather
No Joke-Save Our Cats & Kittens From Fishermen Society- Yes, as sick as it sounds.

Unfortunately I can also just see some sick freaks making this into a tasteless joke...
Check Snopes, check google.com. It appears legitimate, most unthinkably. :Grrr:

Please lend your voice.

*10:10 pm EDIT: I just checked http://www.hsus.org/
The Humane Society Webpage and found nothing, so if anyone has more information or a link proving this is inaccurate, please let me/us know.
I'd rather be proven wrong here. Thank you.

---------------------------------------------
Cats as Bait.
http://saveourcatsfromfishermen.com/

The Human Society of America has announced overcrowding in their shelters by cats and kittens as a result of global warming. Earth's warming temperatures haved caused longer and more frequent breeding seasons. Now, it's been said, rich, arrogant traveling anglers are taking advantage of this surplus by using these helpless animals as live bait for sharks, blue marlin and tarpon. These sick individuals are abusing cats and kittens for their own twisted amusement and calling it "sport". We hope to create awareness of this horrible act and save cats' and kittens' lives by doing so.

(There's a video, which you may not wish to view, at the above link, very graphic).

Last edited:
As someone who works for a national animal welfare organization, I can assure there is no such thing as the Humane Society of America and that this is absolutely not true.

Of course there is an overabundance of cats and kittens in shelters, much more so than dogs, but this is not happening to them.

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/sharkbait.asp

This stuff has been circulating on the net for years abouts cats and dogs so if any of it were true we would have heard somrthing from a legitimate news source...

99.99999% of stuff like this that comes through emails is false....always...

I don't even bother reading them or checking them out any more...

Okay, let me weigh in here. Rather than posting links, what I'm going to do is describe my searches and let others give them a try, since any links I might post would be arbitrarily chosen and not necessarily representative.

I ran a search on the web address saveourcatsfromfishermen, I did a search on the phrase "kittens as bait," and in order to listen in on a few fishing forums to see if any of them were advocating use of kittens as bait, I searched "fishing forum" with "kittens" and "bait."

My findings:

1. On the few sites that refer to this saveourcatsfromfishermen site, it's generally regarded as a hoax to sell T-shirts, and the allegation is made that the maker of the video must have engaged in the cruel acts himself.

2. I did not find any approving discussion of such a practice as using kittens as bait on any fishing forum. I found one board where a guy was talking about using mice as bait, and the response he got was generally of disapproval.

3. I found a couple of unconfirmable news stories involving reports of fishermen using kittens as bait, but both involved Europe and both presented the matter in terms of being criminal activity under investigation by police.

My research was rather cursory, so I encourage others to try their own searches and see what they find. Remember one thing: sport fishermen, every bit as much as tickle fetishists, have searchable message boards where they compare notes on their escapades.

Edited to add: I think the Humane Society, at worst, if it felt it had no choice but to end the lives of cats for shortage of space, would euthanize them, not consign them to the most painful possible form of death. (This should not be interpreted as implying that any such thing as this is happening.)

😀 😀 😀

:roflmao:

Seriously, it surely helps against overcrowding 😀

Should do that with people too.

As someone who works for a national animal welfare organization, I can assure there is no such thing as the Humane Society of America and that this is absolutely not true.

Of course there is an overabundance of cats and kittens in shelters, much more so than dogs, but this is not happening to them.

I didn't read the article, but I happen to personally know some people who use cats as bait when they go fishing.

It may not be a systemic catastrophe, but people using cats as bait? Definitely happens.

Actually, the video isn't so graphic as one might think, and there's no clear evidence that they are hooking cats on camera. It's all obscured. Like "psychic surgery", but less convincing.

Graphic/humorous psychic surgery:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sxMGxz6-oTs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sxMGxz6-oTs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Further, they're using class bias to draw you in, blaming it on "rich, white" fishermen -- easily targeted for their presumed status and privilege. Add to it that the video is shot as though it's an instructional video on how to fish with kittens, and more eyebrows get raised.

The video's designed to press a lot of buttons and make you buy crap.

Not denying this may occur in some circles, but other than informing authorities when witnessed, what are you going to do? Send your money directly to the organizations doing the real work, and not some t-shirt seller who says he'll send a portion.

I didn't read the article, but I happen to personally know some people who use cats as bait when they go fishing.

I hope they're already dead. Using live cats as bait is just sick and wrong! I couldn't imagine it's dying cries as it's chewed on by a shark or larger fish.....makes me want to cry! (Yes, I am really sensitive, damnit!)

I say we start using fishermen as bait for sharks and blue marlin! And involve a very large hook!!😡

Drew

Edited to add: I think the Humane Society, at worst, if it felt it had no choice but to end the lives of cats for shortage of space, would euthanize them, not consign them to the most painful possible form of death. (This should not be interpreted as implying that any such thing as this is happening.)

Just for everyone's edification. There is no such thing as the Humane Society of America. There is a Humane Society of the United States but they are an advocacy organization and do not shelter animals in any way shape or form, nor do they have anything whatsoever to do with any local humane societies. Anyone can call themselves a humane society, even someone keeping cats in their house.

Cats in shelters are either 1) returned to owner (about 2%), 2) adopted (about 20%), 3) killed (about 70%) or 4) other (released to a colony, sanctuaried or sold to laboratories - about 2%)

source: http://www.petpopulation.org/statsurvey.html

I hope they're already dead. Using live cats as bait is just sick and wrong! I couldn't imagine it's dying cries as it's chewed on by a shark or larger fish.....makes me want to cry! (Yes, I am really sensitive, damnit!)

You're not alone. I know what sound a cat makes when you step on him (hey I don't see that well at night...sorry) I cannot fathom hearing its screams while it's being fed to a shark! How inhumane can someone get??

We have a horrible ferral cat problem in my neighborhood because animal control only handles dogs......how stupid is that? If I bring in a ferral cat, I have to pay 30 bucks to have it euthanized-hell, no wonder why it's a huge problem.

If the animal has been euthanized first, as barbaric as it still may sound, I'd go with it because the animal has to be disposed of anyway. But a live cat on the end of a pole is just disgusting.

You're not alone. I know what sound a cat makes when you step on him (hey I don't see that well at night...sorry) I cannot fathom hearing its screams while it's being fed to a shark! How inhumane can someone get??

We have a horrible ferral cat problem in my neighborhood because animal control only handles dogs......how stupid is that? If I bring in a ferral cat, I have to pay 30 bucks to have it euthanized-hell, no wonder why it's a huge problem.

If the animal has been euthanized first, as barbaric as it still may sound, I'd go with it because the animal has to be disposed of anyway. But a live cat on the end of a pole is just disgusting.

Just gas em, like they do with chickens. Works fine.

Much appreciated!!

I really appreciate all the thoughtful feedback & time taken to look into this matter, (so I don't feel quite as ridiculous...)

though it seems I was (many have been) really schnookered.

Though I didn't see any blood from the kittens, and no sharks attacking them (as they did the live fish bait) and I did actually wonder at that,
it bothered me that it appeared as though the "fishermen" went through with (it) --- I'm hoping it was all "special effects" as some of you mentioned.

I didn't search Snopes with the terms "dogs" and "bait," only "cats" and "bait", so I got no results --- I should've just tried "bait" generally, my search was obviously not thorough enough.

If these guys are simply out to make huge profits selling their stuff after getting people like most of us here very upset & angry at first glance, as is likely,

that would also explain why the video's narrator is wearing sunglasses,
--why this never appeared on any major news channel, as was mentioned,
--and why it's absent from the Humane Society (of the United States' 🙂 )
web page....

Obviously disgusting anyway; if this *is done anywhere, or if some freak decides to try it after seeing this, I hope these idiots are charged with (whatever would apply and then some).

I got the email from a reliable source, but who knows who he got it from --- and both of them, etc., were undoubtedly schnookered too 😱

Last edited:
Acceptable methods of euthanasia for cats according to the AVMA (American Veterinary Medical Association):

Barbiturates, inhalant anesthetics, CO2, CO, potassium chloride in conjunction with general anesthesia

Still in some places, the cheapest method and most commonly used is via gunshot.

What's New

9/18/2024
If you need to report a post, the report button is on the lower left of it.
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back