• If you would like to get your account Verified, read this thread
  • The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Nostalgia critique

oman

TMF Master
You ever notice that movie you saw when you were young that thrilled you then just seems dumb and annoying now? Or that wonderful amusement park you went to when you were 10 that could rival Disneyland seems like a broken down carnival now? What make these places or events in our lives so exciting then but now they barly seem intriguiging now? Your thoughts?

There's a wonderful saying that goes something like: We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing."

Maybe people become more self-conscious and don't want to appear foolish in front of others. To be honest, it's not that much different from hiding a tickling fetish. It's something that brings joy, but you're worried (usually unnecessarily) about what others will think.

A wonderful saying and theory, I think people are so afraid of what other people think that we worry and don't have fun

Exactly. I'd like to pretend to be enlightened and ready to make a fool out of myself for fun, but there's always a voice in the back of my head stopping me. It's kind of like the old image of the angel and devil on your shoulders, but it's a kid and an old man. 😀

Yup, I've DEFINITELY noticed that. Experience is a funny thing eh (as is preference and individual tastes/desires).

The passage of time can even make time itself seem to move faster than usual (especially if you've lived a long life). Something to do with the brain handling alot of stimuli and such I believe (could be wrong though).

Just TRY AND IMAGINE what it would be LIKE to live for two-hundred to three-hundred YEARS let alone a THOUSAND. Boredom. Unsurpassed and unceasingless boredom. A never ending search for ways to pass the time.

It applies to different things. I can't really enjoy Superman 2 like I used to, but I appreciate The Empire Strikes Back more than I did as a child.

Some things have timeless appeal and new levels of enjoyment as you get older, like tickling really.

It's not just that.

Certain things that appealed to you as a child no longer do because you simply became less gullible and immature.

Haunted houses at carnivals? They genuinely freaked me out as a kid, simply because I was a fairly stupid child. As I got older, I realized that nobody in their right mind would intentionally hurt a kid at a carnival, so the fear factor disappeared.
Perspective is another factor. As a kid, everything looks big and grand, not just because you're short, but because your reference of size is incomplete. After you've seen the world, and expanded your perspective on size and meaning, certain things just lose their appeal.

Also, one thing to keep in mind is how things depreciate with time. That one awesome amusement park as a kid, might have still remained awesome if it was properly maintained.

I have experience this with video games, though. I totally forgot that early 3D shooters did not have the ability to mouse-look. When I replayed Dark Forces, which is one of my all time favorite games, I noticed this and immediately got frustrated with how restrictive it felt. It took some time to get over how far games have developed since then; but once I made that realization, I was able to appreciate Dark Forces for what it was, and all that sweet nostalgia came rushing back.

What's New

9/26/2024
The TMF Chatroom is always busy and its free1
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back