• If you would like to get your account Verified, read this thread
  • The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Once Upon a Horse

solarcharger

TMF Master
Does anyone have a clip of the tickling scene from this movie? Also, would anyone know who the actress was that got her feet tickled? Those who like animals licking the feet would love this one!

The 1958 comedy was one of many "mainstream tickling contributions" by comedy writer/producer/director Hal Kantor..who has added a good deal of bare feet and tickling scenes to films and TV. In this film feet are featured several times (even Dick Martin's wiggling toes)... aside from many early TV tickle scenes, including producing OSCAR events, he's had an uncredited hand in many other films-- such as Elvis singing "Barefoot Ballad" to a bevy of bare feet. Who can forget that?

Following the break-up of Martin & Lewis in '56, hollywood was seeking a replacement comic duo. This film was suppossed to launch the career of Rowan and Martin, but it failed to do so even though it's a very funny film and they were great in it.

I've had the pleasure of meeting and working with Hal several times when we collaborated on commercials. During this time we've talked about many of his films.. and what went on behind them. Since this was one of my favorites I had to ask after I knew him a while.

The girl in question was not a stunt double- it was his soon-to-be ex wife! She appears in a few different scenes and their fighting on the set (and other films) was legendary.

The story behind-the-scene:

As with most films, many scenes are shot out of sequence for time's sake. This was no different. If you watch it closely you'll see it doesn't quite match.. and you'll see a few other things!

The scene of the feet going thru the wall was shot midway through and was not in the original shooting script. Kantor just added it with intentions of filming the 'person' later on. They were very over budget as this was a "B" film, and couldnt' afford a stunt person. A female prop assistant agreed to help out.

The wall was made of over-powdered plaster (the plaster version of break-away glass). On the other side the girl was laid and strapped on a rolling cart with her legs and bare feet taped to two extended boards sticking straight out. The dogs belonged to the food caterers on set. They smeared powdered sugar on her feet (so as to blend in with the wall plaster as she broke through).. and two lighting men simply pushed the cart as hard as they could towards the wall until her feet went through and the cart hit the other side of the wall and stopped.

The dogs were suppossed to already be there but in the first take they got so scared from the crash that they took off running! So in the second take the dogs were kept just off to the side and with clever editing they immediately went after her her feet.

For whatever reason, they really couldn't get the dogs to lick her soles very well. They just weren't interested, hated the sugar or plaster smell, or perhaps they were just 'full' being the caterer's dogs.

The bar fight was filmed late in the shoot. It was filmed two various ways, one was much longer, both were intended to be used in the film as a two-punch gag, but the first one hit the cutting room floor... and the outtakes from it are even better than the actual scene issued!

The scene used was of her lunging off the back of a cowboy, onto a chandelier, swinging off it, and her feet going thru the wall. Kantor couldn't get his wife to react the way he wanted. A heavy smoker, she would cough and sputter and ruin the take.. also she either didn't react loudly enough or simply couldn't fake being tickled by the imaginary dogs on the other side of the wall (there was no one on the other side). After 7 takes- and putting the wall back together for 7 takes too!- they got into a fight.

While they were resetting everything for another take, Kantor was angry and got hold of three grips (stagehands for movie sets) and the make-up lady. He told them when her bare feet came through the wall to "grab on for dear life" and to really tickle her senseless and not stop till he called "cut!".

What you see on TV or edited cuts is just the beginning of what he filmed, a touch of the middle, and the very end. When her bare feet went through they truly grabbed her, held her tight, and went to town on her. You can hear her surprise as she shouts "oh no!" .. she knew he was up to something..... they kept tickling her toes and he wouldn't stop filming, she started to pound the wall and get mad and curse. Her language was so bad (for that era) that they had to cut some of it out as she cursed Kantor and the people behind the wall.

They really had her in tears and anger from the tickling by the time he shouts "cut"... and if you listen and watch her closely at the very end of the scene, you'll hear a faint "cut!" followed by laughter, and then watch very closely as she turns directly to Kantor with a pissed-off look that would melt stone! She cursed him out for ten minutes as they got her down and out of the harness.. and he had to leave the set until she was gone!

God, how I do love reality!

Hope that helps.

Kudj...amazing insight on that, thanks...I never saw the movie...how did her shoes came off??

You Tube

I find a clip of the tickling segment on youtube--just type in tickling in the search space🙂

KJ...You may know more than anyone.....Speaking of Rowan and Martin, jogged my memory about someone that used to be on there show....Ruth Buzzi....Do you remember her being on the John Davidson show and she did a skit on her feet....It was great as I remember it...showing her soles and talking about them...I was only 12 or so but remember it....I cant seem to find mention of it anywere....anyone else remember?? I used to fantasize about tickling her in those days....she had a great laugh and amazing wide grin.

KJ...You may know more than anyone.....Speaking of Rowan and Martin, jogged my memory about someone that used to be on there show....Ruth Buzzi....Do you remember her being on the John Davidson show and she did a skit on her feet....It was great as I remember it...showing her soles and talking about them...I was only 12 or so but remember it....I cant seem to find mention of it anywere....anyone else remember?? I used to fantasize about tickling her in those days....she had a great laugh and amazing wide grin.

Yes, you're absolutely right and an amazing memory!

Once on the old Dinah Shore show (a great talk show) the talk of pedicures came up and Buzzi went on about how ticklish her feet were. Their was a comic next to her, I believe it was Arte Johnson also of Laugh-In show, who pulled up her feet, off with her shoe, and tickled her. She had a GREAT laugh, great feet.. and she also said how she LOVED to tickle other people at least once a day.

At the closing of each Laugh-In show, they had a wall with people opening doors and saying jokes. Every so often when an actor was talking you'd see a bare foot come down from above and start messing with their hair- it would almost always get grabbed and tickled. That was Ruth's!

A great and funny lady.

A (very) lo-res clip and some caps of the scene. A Bio of Kanter lists his wife as Doris Prouder. Could this be her in the clip?

What's New

9/22/2024
There will be Trivia in our Chat Room this Sunday Eve at 11PM EDT.
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back