• If you would like to get your account Verified, read this thread
  • The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Opinions on Avatar (split from Non-tk Art)

AgentSugar691

TMF Poster
Avatar is a pretty bad show. It's good for an American cartoon [not meant to sound as praise towards anime, specifically], but other than that, it's awful.

everyone has their own opinion AgentSugar, nowadays Avatar's gotten pretty popular with a lot of people and as usual with things that are popular, there are the people who hate it for one reason or another.

I personally hate Naruto, but that's just me...and before we go further off-topic, let's resume posting pictures and clips here.

Avatar is a pretty bad show. It's good for an American cartoon [not meant to sound as praise towards anime, specifically], but other than that, it's awful.

Avatar is an excellent show. It starts out rough, but by the end of Season 1 it's fantastic. I dare you to watch Season 2 and tell me it's awful.

everyone has their own opinion AgentSugar

Of course they do, which is why I posted mine.

The whole "That's just your opinion." argument is completely pointless.

I dare you to watch Season 2 and tell me it's awful.

I have watched a decent amount of Season 2, and I'm telling you that it's awful; your "dare" has been met. Some of the worst characters I've ever seen.

I have watched a decent amount of Season 2, and I'm telling you that it's awful; your "dare" has been met. Some of the worst characters I've ever seen.
Considering it has some of the best storytelling I've seen in an American cartoon since the early 90's, good twists, good story (albeit a tad generic), continuity throughout the season, good humor, great animation, well-choreographed fightscenes, mature themes and likable characters, I don't see why you hate it so much. Did it beat and rob your parents?

Last edited:
Well partly because Avatar is only really targeted at a young age group, and not a vast majority of people above say the age of 16 are going to watch it, your going to get haters from the older age groups giving their negative comments.

I'm a neutral party when it comes to Avatar, I like it, but there's other shows that I like even more. Plus, Mr. Roboto, Iridis vi's show choice, & Iridis vi, if you don't like a show. Shut the hell up.

Considering it has some of the best storytelling I've seen in an American cartoon since the early 90's, good twists, good story (albeit a tad generic), continuity throughout the season, good humor, great animation, well-choreographed fightscenes, mature themes and likable characters, I don't see why you hate it so much.

Sorry, but four nations using generic and overused magical theme [Fire, Earth, Water, and Wind? Please.] is not "the best storytelling" in any era. Moreover, the fact that Fire is the Evil McNasty of the four elements is even more cliché.

I don't recall any twists that took me by surprise. Most of 'em were rather shrug-worthy.

Won't deny that they've kept a good continuity.

The humor is awful. It generally consists of awkward teenage moments that are comparable to the garbage humor in Naruto. TEE HEE THAT BOY IS BEING CLUMSY AROUND THAT GIRL, TEE HEE SOKKA MESSED UP AGAIN THAT SILLY GOOF.

The animation is average, at best. And it's got that awkward tries-to-be-a-Japanese-cartoon style that American artists, for whatever reason, can't seem to imitate. Not saying they can't, because they should be more than capable of doing it, but for whatever reason, they never do. But yeah, please don't turn this into an argument of what is "anime" and what isn't.

The fight scenes depend largely on what elements are being used. Fire and Water tend to just be SLING ELEMENTS EVERYWHERE, while Wind is the most creative, and Earth falls in the middle somewhere.

Mature themes? Like what? OH BOY NATIONS AT WAR, OH BOY A BOY THAT MUST SAVE THE WORLD. That may be "mature" for a Saturday morning cartoon, but if I want to watch a mature cartoon, I'll watch the One Piece episodes on my hard drive. Or read Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. Or Monster. Or Death Note. Or Paranoia Agent. Or GANTZ.

And I can't stand any of the characters, really. Aang was funny before they started to force Aang x Katara down your throat, Katara is so archetypal that it disgusts me [kind and loving lead female with a hidden temper]. I honestly hate female characters that automatically rule over male characters because they're "angry women" and can get their way all the time. Sokka is the archetypal goof that doesn't come off as funny. Toph is okay, but I get sick of hearing people talk about her.

Last edited:
Look, no one is ever gonna change anyone's mind here so arguing is pointless, let's just get back on topic.

Sorry, but four nations using generic and overused magical theme [Fire, Earth, Water, and Wind? Please.] is not "the best storytelling" in any era. Moreover, the fact that Fire is the Evil McNasty of the four elements is even more cliché.
Story =/= Storytelling

You can have a generic story and still have great story telling. I acknowledge the story is generic, but it works.

I don't recall any twists that took me by surprise. Most of 'em were rather shrug-worthy.
Since I can't spoiler tag, I won't cover this in case some people haven't seen the show.
The humor is awful. It generally consists of awkward teenage moments that are comparable to the garbage humor in Naruto. TEE HEE THAT BOY IS BEING CLUMSY AROUND THAT GIRL, TEE HEE SOKKA MESSED UP AGAIN THAT SILLY GOOF.
Well, how would you prefer your humor in a children's cartoon?

The animation is average, at best.
LOL WUT?

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/9021/1178046139193fp5.gif
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/3719/danceoe1.gif
http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/9237/sokkasmasteror2.gif

Yeah, that's real crappy animation right there.
It's not the best animation ever, but calling THAT "average at best"? You must really want to go out of your way to hate the show, because that comment is completely absurd.

And yes, Avatar's artstyle is inspired by Eastern 'toons, but unlike shows like Teen Titans, it has an identity of it's own. The artstyle is like that because it helps the show, not to cash in on America's obsession with "z0mg kawai desu ne!"
Mature themes? Like what?
Like war? Death? Genocide? Totalitarian governments? Oh boy, that's kiddy stuff right thur.
if I want to watch a mature cartoon, I'll watch the One Piece
One Piece might have a slight edge because it has more blood and are allowed to show more explicit death scenes and stuff, but on the other hand, Avatar's overall tone is more serious, as OP has a strong absurdest vibe running through it. They probably cancel each other out.
Or read Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. Or Monster. Or Death Note. Or Paranoia Agent. Or GANTZ.
Because those are totally comparable to a Friday night kids action cartoon.

And I can't stand any of the characters, really.
Okay, that's fine.
I honestly hate female characters that automatically rule over male characters because they're "angry women" and can get their way all the time.
They don't... both Katara and Toph get put in their place several times after acting out of control. The Runaway, Jet, The Painted Lady.... all episodes where Katara (and Toph in Runaway) look like idiots by the end. Perhaps you're confusing Avatar with every anime ever with a female character.

Last edited:
wow.. the animation of avatar is cool ... 😛aw: but i can't understand why you're like avatar_tv show

I watched Avatar and going into it not expecting much, I was really pleasently suprised to find just how good an animation it is. The animation quality is great, the general cultural theme you get from it feels really authentic, and the storyline is pretty gripping. All in all I'm pretty much hooked right now and am watching all the episodes I've missed to catch up.

I'll say that it's one of the best shows that Nick has ever done (although it's got nothing on Rocko's Modern Life).

I will say that this show is the best show nick has done in a long time (coming from a guy who grew up on shows like Rocko, Rugrats, Angry Beavers and the like). Not to mention I do agree that this show deserves a place up with some of the better cartoon shows since the mid 90's. Admittidly the first season is about average, but the second season is where this baby took off.

I hate how this turned into a flamefest because one guy didn't like the show. You know what, fine. I don't expect everyone to like what I like, watch what I watch, root for the same team I root for. Let's just not let this descend further than it already has.

What's New

9/19/2024
The TMF Archives hold colections of our communities creators work, take a look!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back