• If you would like to get your account Verified, read this thread
  • The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Ottawa

NicholasA1

TMF Poster
I will be going to Ottawa, Ontario this December. I was wondering if there would be much to do up there from the 19th to the 23rd? Clearly I'm asking any members who live there for answers.

I like hockey, but apparently there will be no Senators this winter. :cry I was hoping to see a university game instead. I always like to watch my school's team play (we're in a different league and stuff, of course), and I figured I wouldn't be out of place at a university game given that I am 21. But nobody is playing after the first of December, understandably. The 67s aren't playing either. So will there be any hockey to watch during that time?

I was also planning on visiting some museums. My French isn't that good, would I have trouble if I crossed over to Gatineau to see the civilization museum? If I wanted to visit Parliament Hill, if that is possible, would it be worth it or is it just a bunch of boring shit like I could see down here? Because I can see plenty of fancy rooms and portraits of politicians in Richmond and DC.

What is the best way to get around Ottawa? I won't be driving. How do you all dress in the winter? How would I avoid looking weird to Ottawans?

Are the people nice, or at least normal, or are they unreasonable, impatient, know-it-alls like Richmonders are?

What are some things I shouldn't say or do while I'm there?

I like to talk a lot. Are people generally open to conversations with strangers, or are they closed off and anti-social like in some other cities?

Hey.

So, yeah. Ottawa. Nice place.

Hockey is always happening somewhere. even just googling "ottawa hockey" gets you stuff like this:
http://www.ottawasportszone.com/schedule/index.php?EventID=27
http://www.osmhl.com/

You do not need to speak french to hit the museum. The Museum of Civilization is quite decent. Right now they have a Vodou exhibit right now that is faaaacking amazing. It's a bit extra for a ticket, but it's hardcore (or as hardcore as a museum exhibit can ever get, anyway).

IMPORTANT NOTE! Get a map of the downtown area. Once you're downtown, anywhere close to Parliament, you can actually get to most interesting spots on foot. Including the Byward Market, the National Art Gallery, the Nation Arts Centere (if you wanna take in a show), and the Museum of Civilization (if you are willing to cross a long bridge in bloody cold wind).

Yes, Parliament is boring. But the grounds are pretty, so walking once around the area, maybe behind the Hill by the river, is quite nice.

Busing system is quite good, though I, myself, know almost nothing about it. Just that it's good.

It can be cold, but not always terribly. Better to be prepared, however. If the temperature does drop and you're on foot, you will live to regret it. Solid coat, sweater underneath, good pants, gloves. Maybe a toque. In Ottawa, no toque is too ridiculous, but that doesn't mean you should wear one. Because some of them look ridiculous.

Yes, people are nice, not stuck up, but pretty uptight. Happy to start a conversation, but not good at overly good at maintaining one. Alas.

There are no real taboo topics, since most conversations never get that far. Ottawans (I don't actually know what we are called, cuz I'm not from here) are a pretty accepting group, so as long as you're not judging, you likely won't get judged.

Cha.

What's New

9/18/2024
If you need to report a post, the report button is on the lower left of it.
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back