• If you would like to get your account Verified, read this thread
  • The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

PS3... is it worth it?

kyokushinkai1

TMF Regular
Hey guys,
Never been keen on shelling out hundreds of dollars for anything! Let alone a console! Usually I wait a long time until an El Cheapo version of said console shows up. Until now.

These next gen consoles seem... different. I'm already guilty of jumping on the 360 bandwagon, although I was highly skeptical about the PS3 still awaiting release. But just recently I've seen a few trailers for PS3 games floating around the net, and I have to admit, my position is wavering.

Here is the trailer that changed my mind:
Assassin's Creed E3 trailer (courtesy of SpikedHumor.com)

Bear in mind that this trailer was created using in-game graphics via the actual game-engine.

So looking past the embarrassing Sony E3 conference, I ask; is anyone else starting to lean either way?

being the big geek that i am this is an interesting subject 😀
If you look at all the different generations of consoles that have been around since the mid eighties/early nineties - first we had the original nintendo and the sega mastersystem. In my opinion the mastersystem won handsdown. Then we had the super nintendo and the sega megadrive. Again the sega won. Then we came onto the 32bit cd technology with playstation and sega saturn whilst nintendo stook to its original cartiridges. Playstation was obviously more popular because of its variety but nintendo 64 was all the more better build quality. The saturn didnt get a look in as it was, lets face it, a bag of wank. As was sega next monstrosity - the sega dreamcast and what a load of bollocks it was too. The PS2 and Xbox were neck and neck but i think the xbox held the microsoft quality and just couldnt be beaten.
If you look at the latest generation i still think there realy isnt that much difference. Both manufacturers use some way of getting you to dip into your wallet even more - but i think microsoft take this piss by selling the harddrive seperatly which u need to play old games and watch dvds etc. Also, games that have been out on ps2 for over a year such as grand theft auto san andreas, come out on xbox that much later!
I think the xbox is better for gameplay and it feels alot smoother but the ps3 is bound to have a whole lot more variety. But like i was saying about sega and nintendo, sega seem to have vanished and nintendo are more into hand helds now, so microsoft and sony are the only ones that seem to be holding their weight in the industry. so kyokushinkai i believe i will stick to the 360 as sony ask way too much for their new bad boy anyway 🙂
geeky rave over lets get back to the drinking.....

Last edited:
I'm a gamer myself, but I'm not an advanced one. It's no RPGs and online-multiplayers here, but I'm an expert at things like GTA, Tekken, basically no-brainers.

I fully intend to buy the PS3, but not for a long time yet. Probably at least a year from now, when it's dropped in price.

I'd rather get Nintendo's new console, just so I can stand on the street corner and yell "WHO WANTS TO PLAY WITH MY Wii?!!" lol

Remember the PS3 is coming with a Blu-Ray player in it, which the players themselves can cost more than a PS3, if you think about it the $600 pricetag isn't that bad for all oyu are getting

dam man video game experts i can see why y'all are hella popular with the ladys....nah just wait like a year then ps4 360 will come out and the ps3 will only be like 49.99

I haven't bought any new gen console yet(well, only the 360 is out but you can pre-order any of the others), I want to see how the consoles turn out when they are actually up and running, and running against each other too. I have to say that at first I wasn't too excited about the PS3, but after seeing late deveplopment of the console, and it's "kind of obvious"(kind of because it remains to be seen in action) hardware superiority, I am beggining to lean towards it over the 360. Still the 360 seems like a good option too, I've been on the verge of buying one, the only real reason that's kept me from doing so is that the hardware appears to crash down quite a bit more than I would like it to, I actually read the troubleshooting guide at xbox.com and in some instances it just tells you to send it to a tech to get it fixed, now this may not seem like something out of the ordinary, but when you consider that the symptom over which they tell you to send it over to a tech are some blinking lights, well, you get the idea...

I'm not saying that one console is better than the other, not at all, better hardware or better technology doesn't mean a console is better than the next one, but they are all aspects to consider.

IMHO, I think the PS3 is worth every cent, if not more. Maybe people just think $600 is a lot of money for a console, but they fail to take into consideration that the PS3(this can apply to the 360 too, just with slightly different terms) is not just a video game console, it offers a whole lot of other stuff, most importantly, blu-ray, and people may wonder why they would need(or would want for that matter) something like blu-ray, but they also wondered why they should change from VHS to DVD.

Is the PS3 worth it....Is the PS3 worth it!.....IS IT WORTH IT!!!! ARGHHHH! ....yes.
Its going to a. have class games b. have great graphics and c. IS IT WORTH IT! yes.
going to wait for price drop.

I really like it when new consoles come out. Prices then drop on all the games for consoles I already own. If you really want a PS3 I would say take the advice of the other gamers here. Wait a year and then re-evaluate the situation.

the best thing to do is wait till they are both in full swing
xbox 360 has 3 processors equaiting to 9.6Gb, but the ps3 has 7 all told.
To narrow it down - there is no restriction now to gaming capabilities, both systems are catastrophically powerfull and can handle a hell of a lot of data.
Its down to the game designers themselves to make the most of it, so lets see who produces the better shit! Blueray may not even take off that well anyway because lets face it - who has that kind of money just lying around anyway?

Personally i'd say no. Get a Wii.

/Nintendo Fangirl

I'd say no, just too much money. I'd just get all the current-gen systems instead since they'll be going pretty cheap now.

And I don't know so much about the Wii (cuz of the remote and all), and as long as I get TP on Cube, I'll be happy.

I must have Tekken 6, so for me it's worth it haha.

Senshi, I don't think Tekken is a no brainer game. I like it because you can compete against real people, not just AI, like in RPGs. How good are you at Tekken 5?

Back on track. Yeah I think it's worth it if there is a game coming out for the PS3 that you gotta have, that you know you will play until the next one comes out, that you love. But, if you are just a casual gamer who plays when you are bored, then no. It all depends on how much you like a certain game or games and how much of a gamer you are.

I don't really want to shell out six-hundred dollars on a video game system. I mean, I know it does more than that, but it's still a video game system at heart. Besides, when I get my new computer, I want it to be a Mac anyway.

I'm looking forward to the Wii.
I mean, it's just awesome.

I'm with Xin, go with the Wii. I mean, the games look good and all, but if the system is 600 bucks, how much do you think those games will be worth? Besides, I read in an article that the Wii will possibly possess super backwards compatability. I mean, pay a small amount of bucks a month to play old school nintendo games that you might like can go a long way.
*Dreams of playing FF III* >.>

Why do you people call the "Nintendo Revolution" console "Wii" ? 😱

I recently bought a Nintendo DS and i have to say i absolutely love it 😀

my brother is a total non gamer but he fell in love with it aswell and now has one of his own.

From what i've seen of the "Wii" i'm very impressed, if it's anywhere near as good as the DS i'll be getting one ASAP.

What's New

9/19/2024
The TMF Archives hold colections of our communities creators work, take a look!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back