• If you would like to get your account Verified, read this thread
  • The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Question about my dilemma

Fleet

TMF Poster
So my computer has been running slow lately, the past few weeks. I got my computer in 2007. It is an HP Pavilion Slimline s7320n PC. It has been getting progressively worse over the past year. I got it a tune up once and it seemed to be OK. But that was by Geek Squad remote repair or whatever.

So anyway, since it has been annoyingly slow, with freezing and browser crashing, I decided to have Geek Squad take a look at it. The man said it was a hardware problem, citing a large number of deleted indexes. He said the worse case scenario is that I need a new hard drive, which will cost around $350. The best case scenario is that it has a virus infection or a corrupt operating feature. Fixing that will be around $200. I can get a new PC for about $400.

I have been scanning for viruses for the past week and found nothing.

So would it be best to get the repairs or just get a new computer? The repairs cost almost as much as a new computer, one could say. Wouldn't the old computer still be more likely to have issues due to its age and the fact that I have used it for almost every day since I first got it? Or am I entirely wrong?

You probably should get a new computer. Especially depending on what you use the computer for in the first place.

However, you don't need to pay 350 for a hard drive. You can get one from an outdoor market easily for twenty dollars or so. In fact, I have to do that this weekend.

But also, you can find other stores outside of best buy to fix your comp.

PC Retro, since you're in Virginia is a good idea. They repair and refurbish computers. And they work nicely.

IMHO, Geek Squad is over-rated, expensive and over-paid. As my Dad said what the Brits said about the Yanks coming over, "Over-paid, Over-sexed and Over Here."

I usually backup daily and go throught the procedures of cleaning out the junk and do a defrag of the system. I have been with these monsters since the Dark Ages of the late 60s. My first system was an IBM 360/70.

We all laughed when they mentioned the design of a "Personal Computer" back in the early 70s. Who Knew?

My cell phone holds more memory than those dinosaurs.

I'd go with getting a new system. A HD will run you retail, maybe $ 100. A good portable backup around the same price.

Thanks you two. Are there any PC's that you recommend for a college student? Something that will last another four years, has lots of memory. Oh, and isn't too expensive. Anything?

You won't find all of those things.

As for the problem, why don't you just buy a hard drive for $80 and replace it yourself rather than paying those guys $350? That's madness.

What's New

9/26/2024
The TMF Chatroom is always busy and its free1
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back