• If you would like to get your account Verified, read this thread
  • The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Study Says That Sadomasochists Are Not Abnormal

JimBoy

TMF Regular
This is really good news.

Bondage lovers not abnormal: sex study

August 25, 2008 - 3:39PM

An unusual sex survey has found that Australians who enjoy bondage and discipline are not damaged or dangerous, and might even be happier than those who practice "normal" sex.

The research showed two per cent of adult Australians regularly partake in sadomasochism and dominance and submission-type sexual role play.

And contrary to commonly-held stereotypes, they are not doing so in reaction to sexual abuse or because they are "sexually deficient" in some way, according the study of 20,000 Australians by public health researchers at the University of NSW.

"Our findings support the idea that bondage and discipline and sadomasochism (BDSM) is simply a sexual interest or subculture attractive to a minority," Associate Professor Juliet Richters and her colleagues wrote in the Journal of Sexual Medicine.

The findings showed that it was more common among gay, lesbian and bisexual people, and that participants were more likely to have been more sexually adventurous in other ways.

"However, they were no more likely to have been coerced into sexual activity and were not significantly more likely to be unhappy or anxious," said Prof Richters, author of the book Doing It Down Under.

In fact, men who take part may be happier, with results showing they score significantly lower on a scale of psychological distress than other men.

The researchers did not study why this was, but suspect it might simply be that they're more in harmony with themselves because they're into something unusual and are comfortable with that.

Prof Richters says the findings go against professional views of BDSM.

"People with these sexual interests have long been seen by medicine and the law as, at best, damaged and in need of therapy and, at worst, dangerous and in need of legal regulation," she said.

There was also an assumption, mostly among the general public, that people involved in BDSM were sexually deficient in some way, "and need particularly strong stimuli such as being beaten or tied up to become aroused".

She said she hoped the results would help change these stereotypes.

© 2008 AAP

http://news.smh.com.au/national/bondage-lovers-not-abnormal-sex-study-20080825-41xe.html

I passed the article on to the local BDSM group...thank goodness the scientific community has caught up...even a little...

Just because with all the Journal Clubs I've attended over the years, and being on our IRB at the hospital, I'm just a bit curious on how long they observed the subjects of this study. Camel, have you read the journal article and is it a clean, 'proper' (scientifically) study?

Sorry..just cynical about any time the press reports on some 'breakthrough' article...been burned in my line of work too many times....

In my opinion, no study is perfect...there is always the question, "Was the study sample large enough? Was it diverse enough? Does this study sample only apply to Australians, given that is where the study was produced?"

No matter how sound the evidence, one must always take studies with a grain of Sodium Chloride...😉

Regardless, I'm pleased that any study of this nature was completed...maybe more will come, from other countries, that will aid in diversifying the evidence for this particular study...one can only hope...this little exposure could have further reaching consequences down the road if it opens the door to further study of human sexuality and psychology...mmm...delicious statistical analysis...I shall dream of SPSS and Excel spreadsheets...

Someone needed a "scientific study" to show that people who are different are simply that? Some doctors had to go through a bunch of rigamarole to figure out that just because someone likes something other than vanilla sex, that they're not "damaged" as the article says?

Wow. I'm so glad science is doing great things like this instead of curing diseases, building the Millennium Falcon and transporter beams, and extending human lifetimes.

Masochists?
Abnormal?
Not by any means!

They are a godsend!

😉

Well,that is certainly some interesting conclusions and research.I am sure it has shed quite a bit of light for some people.

I gotta agree with others who said this is not much of a 'breakthrough'. At least not for me. I never cared what people think, I am who I am and I'm proud of it. Since I don't really need the company of closed-minded boring conservatives or just-as-boring 'normal' people, I never really cared much about what they think of as 'cool' or 'normal', and I'm not about to. So, scientists just concluded 'BDSM is cool'. They're only centuries late.

What's New

9/18/2024
If you need to report a post, the report button is on the lower left of it.
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back