• If you would like to get your account Verified, read this thread
  • The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

the greatest, the coolest guitarist of all time!!

ah did you watch??? i'll watch yours if you watch mine lol..and you will agree he was the coolest thing ever..i was soo in love with him..i was devastated when he was killed..

Watched it to the end. He had style, but I can't say blues guitar will ever impress me, so it fell quite short of "collest thing ever" for me. Music's tricky like that. Give me screaming guitars any day.

Stevie Ray Vaughan was pretty good, yeah. Quite possibly the #1 blues guy ever.

Herman Li? That dude is like... the Jesus of guitars. He doesn't even count, since he's ya know... like in space or somethin'.

But to me, someone who plays guitar, two guys in particular are up on a pedestal as the greatest ever. The first is Lester William Polsfuss, better known as Les Paul.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iGXP_UBog4

The other is Edward Lodewijk "Eddie" Van Halen, founder of the most righteous band of the very same name and the person directly responsible for me learning to play guitar. Basically, Les Paul invented the first half of modern guitar playing. Edward invented the bulk of the second half.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gX2CyIH_ebE

Others that belong up here are the late Terry Kath of Chicago who's heavily jazz-inspired licks drove Peter Cetera's band in the late 60s and most of the 70s. Next up is none other than Chet Atkins, Mr. C.G.P.. Finally, don't forget that Hendrix guy 😉

This is the way of things. This is the way of Jimmy James.

Good on you, the_jimmy_james. It would be tantamount to blasphemy not to include Chet Atkins in the discussion.

Yeah i have to back Sammi up, Dragonforce are pretty amazing musicians.

Although once you've heard one song you've heard most of their discography XD

I'd have to say that my personal fav guitarists are all black metal musicians... so i doubt there's any point naming them 😛

I grew up, as they said back home, listening to both kinds of music: Country AND Western...lol

No one played better than Chet Atkins, bar none!

+10 points for Blues Brothers reference.

+10 points for Blues Brothers reference.

No problem. Grew up near and lived in Rock Island, IL for a while, the supposed home of the Rocky Island City Orphanage that Jake and Elwood grew up in. The original SNL cast had lots of downstate IL and Quad Cities references, dating to their Second City days in Chicago.

Those are all amazing guitarists... I'm just shocked that one particular icon was not named off the hop: perhaps one of the most iconic "lefties" of all time: JIMI HENDRIX.

^ i believe Jimmy the James man mentioned Hendrix...and it was thanks to SRV that i discovered Jimi Hendrix...or appreciated him...became a fan etc..

Those are all amazing guitarists... I'm just shocked that one particular icon was not named off the hop: perhaps one of the most iconic "lefties" of all time: JIMI HENDRIX.

The thing about Hendrix is that I can't see where he broke new ground aside from full-on guitar-based pop music. I'm not saying that he wasn't good or insinuating he was't an inspired, original player. He was all of those things. He's important, yes. Iconic, yes.

But as far as technique, there's others who were still ahead. Remember, Hendrix himself said that Terry Kath was the best.

Kirk Hammett of Metallica is my favorite, followed by Jerry Cantrell of Alice In Chains.

ah no one has mentioned Jimmy Page...wowow....or the lead guitarist for Black Sabbath...or Ritchie Gilmore...wow

Gotta have the love for Stevie Ray. Other faves:

The Edge. Springsteen said it best: "There are only a handful of musicians who can create an entire world with their instrument, and he's one of them."

Tom Fogerty. The sound of purity and honesty, even when he got you up and dancing in your mud-covered boots, overalls, and flannel shirt.

George Harrison. Not to be cliche, but he really is great. Listen to his solo stuff. He makes a guitar sing.

I like a guy who can play it all. John Petrucci of Dream Theater is one. Buckethead is another. Jazz, rock, fingerpickin'... name it, they do it. For style, I like David Gilmour. For obvious reasons, Les Paul. Slash gets my nod for being awesome and self taught.

And me. I'm pretty good. 😉

Me, lol

I'm the man lol, seriously though can't name one so :

Jimi Hendrix,
Steve Vai,
Carlos Santana,
Joe Satriani,
Yngie Malmsteen,
John Frusciante,
David Hidalgo,
Marty Friedman,
Zakk Wylde,
Tito Larriva

Long List lol

Since Nerrad mentioned Petrucci, I shall move on to my personal all time favorite.

Criss Oliva (r.i.p) I love Savatage. I just wish I coulda seen them when Criss was still alive. Can't imagine him up there with Jon on vocals...le sigh.

And I know he's not a lead guitarist, but I just get floored by Iced Earth's Jon Schaffer's songwriting, composition and performing skills. Course he really IS Iced Earth, he's he only original member. I got to see them in Columbus, Oh in 1997 at a little dive on High Street. There was about 20 of us there (they never get enough support here at home), and they just tore the place apart. Jon has to have the fastest downpicking motion I have ever seen. And he sings Stormrider live. He doesn't play lead, but he's really got the skills where it counts most.

For blues, I love Stevie Ray, but I gotta go with Robert Johnson. First guy recorded who figured out how to play 3 simultaneous guitar parts with only 2 hands. They had to invent electric blues after him, cause no one could match him accoustically...lol

Raise your hand if you know the 3 guys I mentioned.

CJ

What's New

9/26/2024
The TMF Chatroom is always busy and its free1
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back