• If you would like to get your account Verified, read this thread
  • The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Timewarp's Rant Series: 29 Game shows.

Timewarp

3rd Level Red Feather
Howdy and welcome to what will probably be my last rant ever....unless stupidty continues to reign supreme.

But I digress, as you can take from the title, i'm taking a shot at game shows.

Some time ago broadcast stations thought of an idea of giving the working class a chance at free prizes in exchanged for ratings and ticket sales and things seem to work. But during the last 10 years it seems the chances of great prizes and quick cash has been taken away from the majority because everyone was tired of winning toaster ovens.

Gameshows today seem to please one audience, the working class, but taking away the substance of what makes gameshows attractive: The average joe winning prizes of great wealth. I'm appauld that the general public hasn't rioted, kidnapped Ted Turnner and shoved his own uretha up his nose to drown in his own piss. I don't even say how they can get away with the new gameshow scheme. Now here's what I think is wrong.

1. Audition process: Okay so as most of us know, in order to get the chance to win your Deal or no Deal's or Wheel of fortune's every person has to go through an audition. Why? Shouldn't anyone who has the cash (if required) the same chance at prizes like any other human being? Apparently not so. You see in order to get on the most popular gameshows, you got to be TV interesting.
In other words if you haven't done anything interesting beyond getting a degree or working at a fast food resturant you WILL be etched out of that script list. Which probably explains every contestant i've ever seen on a gameshow having a background ranging from inspiring teacher, to rescurer, to sanke handler, to friggen disaster relief agents. I'm not saying they aren't deserving but I for one would like to see someone who probably works at a normal day job and has done nothing significant in his/her life. I'm pretty sure they are just as deserving.

2. Gameshow host: I think most host give way too much showmanship for every episode they host, as evident on Deal or no Deal. I mean sometimes I just want someone to hurl a brick at these host so we can just get to knowing if the contestant wins 500,000 dollars or 5 cents. Again yes for ratings but then again if your watching a gameshow for it's host...you probably don't deserve to win either. I think all a host should do is welcome the audience, call contestants, explain rules, confort or congradulate contestants and say goodbye.

3. Gameshow plots, snags and tech: Production value is always crucial to any show, I just think gameshows go too far or not far enough. Like Are you Smarter than a Fifth Grader. It's a show that scientifically proves children really don't pay attention in school, that what they taught you was so useless, it's good enough for a gameshow and should be a reason for alarm. Which is sadder, an adult not remembering what a prepesition is or getting trumped by someone who isn't allowed to stay up past 9:00 pm?
Why does everyone need to bring their damn families to these events? I mean if I won or lost...I wouldn't want anyone to know, then again being on tv those chances are slim.
Also...could game shows turn down the tension in their music scores? I know it's a million dollars and all but it sounds like everyone is about to fight to the death.

4. Contestants: Please can all agree that sometimes contestants need to shut the Hell up? How many times have you heard this, "Oh it's a lot of money. But as I told my wife while lifitng a car off her after stopping a bank robber who stoled money and my car then crashing into my wife, NO DEAL"! Okay I know that sounds rediculous but that what it sounds like when every contestant making a slight decision has to over analyze their choices.
I mean honestly do we really need to hear your life story which sounds like a bland reading of "A Midsummers Nights dream" as you try to get your money stiffy up to explain why you choose box 17? Believe me these contestants make choices that any braindead monkey could make, without the poo slinging. Just pick friggen answer A.

5. Prizes: (Now let me just say i'm aware there's possibly millions given away and shows really don't want people to win.)
Generally I think gameshows offer an erradict amount of prize from show to show. On one hand you got shows that offer everyday appliances and trips. Then you got shows that offer millions for anwsering hard questions (Or in case of 5th Grade, simple questions). Then you got shows that offer rediculous amounts for little no more than plain luck or little skill with no risk. Now what I want to know, which show would you like to try for? Now you can see where i'm going with this. If gameshows can give away millions for absolutlely no effort, why bother with the other shows. And to second that, how come the working class still can't get any of those brakes?

All and all there is only one gameshow I truly actually enjoy with absolutely no qualms, The local State lottery show. Now that's the show for the average joe. For all other shows, they can take a back seat to bad tv ideas along with reality tv, talkshows and those horrible product commercials. Maybe in the future some alien race will pick up a tape with one of these gameshows on it and destroy their race because obvously i'm talking about earth being overrunned. Though i'm sure it wouldn't be any worse than a gameshow.

(To be continued?...Hell no)

Last edited:
Well, I have some information on Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader to make things more ridiculously sad... them children are ACTORS. (Take it for what it is worth)

I think that's why there's a massive drop in game show viewership over the last while: the shows are either too predictable, too unrealistic, and/or too unoriginal. Inevitably, Deal or No Deal and any other game show that is part of the "new wave" will fall into obscurity and be forgotten (Case-in-point: Who Wants To Be A Millionaire and The Weakest Link) and from that, someone will get the hairbrained idea to create a new game show that looks like bits and pieces from other game shows, a "Frankenstein" of sorts. I'm someone who doesn't mind watching some game shows but I hold an opinion on all of them...

That being said, I might make a minor exception for a certain "Distraction" only for what certain "scenes" have given to this community. 🙂

Way too predictable! Anybody smarter than a 1st grader can figure out a game show without much effort. I have to agree with big dogg about distraction, I love that scene.

To me, it seems 'game shows' are becoming, at least on 'prime time' are becoming more and more show and less and less game. Case in point: Deal or No Deal. Any contestant on that show could be be done in 15 or less. We don't need Howie Mandel's attempt to resurrect his TV career at the contestant's expense. I have watched so few of them since they all seem to be cookie cutters of Millionaire or DOND.

And BTW, my kids submitted questions for "5th grader" and had one accepted...

What's New

9/19/2024
The TMF Archives hold colections of our communities creators work, take a look!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back