• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • If you would like to get your account Verified, read this thread
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Using the chat room.

poppameth1

TMF Expert
I thought I'd post a bit of info on using the new chat room. As soon as I logged in to try it out I foresaw one major issue. It's Java based and a lot of people still don't have a proper Java runtime installed on their computers. So I'll tell you how to get it.

1) First, log in to chat. If it shows up and you can use it fine then you are set to go and don't really need to read any further. If it doesn't show up or if you just want to make sure your Java Runtime is up to date, keep reading.

2) Go to the following link: http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp and download the Java SE Runtime Environment (JRE), which at this time is Version 6 Update 11.
Or is this extremely long and ridiculous URL doesn't work go to http://java.sun.com and click on downloads>Java SE>Java Runtime Environment Update 6 (or the latest current update)

3) Select your platform and language, check the box to agree to the license and click continue.

4) Click the link on the next page to download the Full Offline Installation.

5) Browse to the downloaded file and run the installer. Choose the Typical installation type.

That's it. Java is now installed and set to go. It will also periodically check for updates to itself. The only drawback to this is that when Java updates it installs a new version of the runtime but doesn't uninstall the old version. This doesn't hurt anything but it takes up space on you HDD for nothing. You can uninstall older version via add/remove programs in Windows.

Happy chatting.

Edit:
You can also go to http://www.java.com for a more simplistic way to install Java. This site will install it through the browser. It's easier for some people but I've run into issues with it in the past especially with Firefox. I think the offline installation is less problematic and installs the plugin system wide for all browsers.

Edit 2 (12/10/2008):
I've come across a nice little utility called JavaRa which may make things a little easier. Download the attached file and unzip it to a folder. Run the executable and you can use this program to check for updates for Java by using Java's built in updater, or by downloading directly from Java's website. Once the newest Java is installed you can use the option in JavaRa to remove all the older versions of Java to avoid future software conflicts.

Attachments

• JavaRa.zip
    57.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Thank you for taking the time to make this guide. I've moved it to Technical Support and it has been stickied as well. :ayyy:

Attachments

• thread_stickied.png
    thread_stickied.png
    271 KB · Views: 29
Doesn't seem to be working; downloaded and successfully installed Java, restarted browser and no go. I still receive the same message.

What message are you receiving? Can you give me a screen shot of it?

Also what browser and if it's Firefox what extensions are you running?
What security software do you run as well.

go to
http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml
and see if java is working via that detection page.

Last edited:
Seems the chat room crashes on me before it even opens and logs me into it. Is there something wrong on my end or is the server on there having some technical issues?

I think it's more of me than it is the chat itself, but I'm not too sure what the problem is right now.

First, type

about:plugins

in the address bar and press enter. Look for Java on the list of plugins to make certain you have it.

If you do there are a few possibilities.
1) do you have any add-ons that may be blocking java. Noscript is probably the most likely to cause issues with this. It'll block java by default. You can load Firefox in safe mode from the All Programs menu entry to test this. Safe Mode will load a default Firefox session with all add-ons disabled. If that works, the problem is with one of your add-ons. You can reload in normal mode and try disabling each add-on one at a time until you find the culprit.

You can also go to http://java.com/en/ and click the Do I have Java link to make sure Java is installed correctly.

2) What security software do you have? Certain vendors like McAfee and Norton are famous for blocking Java and Flash applications. I can't tell you much about how to get around that since I don't run either type of software.

I'd try using Opera or IE to access the chat room and see if it successful. It mike be Firefox only that is giving you problems. I use FF myself with no issues though.

Hopefully this will help you locate the issue.

Last edited:
I added an attachment and some info on it. This little program called JavaRa can update your current Java or direct you to the website to download the newest Java. It'll also remove older versions of Java for you to avoid software conflicts.

Apparently i'm getting a security warning about and expired jre file, below I pasted the details:

Java Plug-in 10.21.2.11
Using JRE version 1.7.0_21-b11 Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
User home directory = C:\Users\Kitty
----------------------------------------------------
c: clear console window
f: finalize objects on finalization queue
g: garbage collect
h: display this help message
l: dump classloader list
m: print memory usage
o: trigger logging
q: hide console
r: reload policy configuration
s: dump system and deployment properties
t: dump thread list
v: dump thread stack
x: clear classloader cache
0-5: set trace level to <n>
----------------------------------------------------

So I don't know what's going on but me and a few others can't access the chat room still.

What's New

6/1/2024
Need to report a post? The report butt0n is to its lower left!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back