• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

A day in the life of a Telemarketer.

devilsadvocate

TMF Regular
Ok i know that im the really irritating guy that rings to try and sell you something when you're not in the mood. Believe me, i hate telemarketing calls just as much as anyone else when im not at work, But is it too much to ask to not get abusive and aggressive when all im doing is my job? the funny thing is, im not even selling anything, im just giving away free appointments to gyms. i know its irritating, and each call i make i feel bad by disturbing people but it is what i have to do. case in point, tonight i rang a number and the lady who answered told me that "she was 75 so what the f**k would she want with a gym appointment and there was no need for a c**t like me to ring her again and to p**s off." you wouldn't do that if it was a face to face conversation so what makes it ok to do it down the phone?

Sorry Mate but being annoyed in one's own home by a stranger is grounds for us to be pissy....

:)

Calls like that are one reason i only have a cell phone.Nothing personal advocate,just the way i feel about it.And please don't come to my door to sell me anything,or tell me about your church.I know where to find everything i need on my own.

Lol, i can see im going to be bombarded by reasons we all hate telemarketers if im not careful. I see everyone's point and i hate the calls too like i said before. In fact if im honest i hate making the calls, but if i didnt i wouldnt get paid. my only problem with the situation is when people get abusive down the phone as if id slapped them in the face. i can calmly deal with telemarketers, as much as i dont like receiving their calls trying to sell me a phone but ive never gotten angry and abusive down the phone.

Last edited:
When receiving a call from a telemarketer (or a political pollster or somebody taking surveys), I just say "No thank you," and hang up immediately, thereby wasting little of my time or their time.

After the third or fourth call during the dinner hour I am sorry to say that I might get a little abusive.... :evilha:

venray said:
After the third or fourth call during the dinner hour I am sorry to say that I might get a little abusive.... :evilha:

Are you on the national do not call list Ray? I know the company i work for takes it very serioulsy,and it helps to at least cut down on calls from what i hear.

I'm in complete agreement with devilsadvocate. There is no excuse whatsoever to be nasty. It's usually because people have the "kick the dog" mentality when it comes to telemarketers and they take out their nastiness on someone in a way they'd never do in a face to face conversation.

I call doctors and medical facilities all day for a living. It will amaze you how these degreed "professionals" tend to treat me. I'm offering them viable work that they can't find on their own, for crying out loud! I'm not selling them anything. Some people are so unprofessional that it makes me wonder how they ever got where they are.

If you don't want to take the call, most phones come with caller ID; either don't answer the call, or get on the do not call list. If it were you, would you want to be mistreated and abused for doing your job?

Nor should I have to do anything to keep from receiving these calls at home to tell me I have won a free trip or a free satellite system or a free anything that isnt really free....

Let us say you am sitting at dinner in a restaurant, You wouldnt want someone coming up to you and saying " you just won a free subscription for"..
whatever, while you were in the middle of a conversation or eating...

Why should I be interupted in the same manner at home....forced to screen calls or have myself placed on yet another list..

Telemarketers are like pop up ads....If I had my way, both would be illegal.....

Since I dont have my way, I will act as my mood suits me.... :D

I'd LOVE to do what this guy did........

http://www.ticklingforum.com/showthread.php?t=90517

Last edited:
I totally understand that telemarketers are just doing a job and its not there fault. But seriously i get home and theres like 15 messages on my phone totally silent, meaning there from call centers it pisses me off. then we get another 10 calls during the evening. My philosophy is if i want new windows or a new mobile phone i'll get one when i'm ready. We tell them to take our number off there list but they call anyway. Its more than frustrating sometimes...

Ok, in reference to Venray's point. i can agree that would be out of line, however, my point is that during said incident in the restaurant, you wouldn't swear loudly and try and abuse the person who came up to you as much as possible would you? interestingly we actually have permission to abuse people back if they're rude but i dont stoop to that level of tit for tat. But the reason i'm a telemarketer is because i want to go into healthcare and in that field patience is more than a virtue its a necessity. and what better way to test the limits of patience than being a telemarketer?

devilsadvocate said:
Ok, in reference to Venray's point. i can agree that would be out of line, however, my point is that during said incident in the restaurant, you wouldn't swear loudly and try and abuse the person who came up to you as much as possible would you?

No..I would not do that in public and probably not on private either, but I would stay on the phone for a while and waste as much of their time as possible or I have been known to say "that sounds interesting, please explain it to me"...and then I put the phone down and go about my business...

venray said:
Nor should I have to do anything to keep from receiving these calls at home to tell me I have won a free trip or a free satellite system or a free anything that isnt really free....

Let us say you am sitting at dinner in a restaurant, You wouldnt want someone coming up to you and saying " you just won a free subscription for"..
whatever, while you were in the middle of a conversation or eating...

Why should I be interupted in the same manner at home....forced to screen calls or have myself placed on yet another list..

Telemarketers are like pop up ads....If I had my way, both would be illegal.....

Since I dont have my way, I will act as my mood suits me.... :D

I'd LOVE to do what this guy did........

http://www.ticklingforum.com/showthread.php?t=90517

I'm so glad we've had this mature professional discussion. Do whatever floats your boat and knock yourself out! I will continue to do my job whether I encounter attitudes like the above or not. :sowrong: :sowrong: :sowrong:

kis123 said:
I'm so glad we've had this mature professional discussion. Do whatever floats your boat and knock yourself out! I will continue to do my job whether I encounter attitudes like the above or not. :sowrong: :sowrong: :sowrong:

The difference is, hon, that you call people during normal business hours at a place of business....

We are talking about being called while going about our personal business at home while trying to spend quality time with our families...

I have no problem with that kind of call....it is what sales people do...

You are comparing apples to potatoes here....

R

venray said:
The difference is, hon, that you call people during normal business hours at a place of business....

We are talking about being called while going about our personal business at home while trying to spend quality time with our families...

I have no problem with that kind of call....it is what sales people do...

You are comparing apples to potatoes here....

R

It's the only time of day when people are home. I don't like evening phone calls any more than you do. But these are people that are trying to support their families just like you. Definitely apples to apples here.

kis123 said:
It's the only time of day when people are home. I don't like evening phone calls any more than you do. But these are people that are trying to support their families just like you. Definitely apples to apples here.

Well, when someone enters my home univited, I certainly dont have to be nice to them.....

asutickler said:
The National Do Not Call list is a wonderful, wonderful thing. :)

Yup...had our number put on it twice now and we still get unwanted calls....

A quick Google brings up fines of $5000 to $11,000 per call for first-time offenses against the do-not-call list. Stay on the line just long enough to identify the caller.

venray said:
Well, when someone enters my home univited, I certainly dont have to be nice to them.....

Well, this is just one of those times we're just not going to agree. It certainly won't stop me from doing my job. If people are nasty, I just make the next call. It's not like I have to wake up next to them in the morning. I guess it's good that you don't have to make your living on the phone, then you'd have to take what you dish out to others. :sowrong:

kis123 said:
Well, this is just one of those times we're just not going to agree. It certainly won't stop me from doing my job. If people are nasty, I just make the next call. It's not like I have to wake up next to them in the morning. I guess it's good that you don't have to make your living on the phone, then you'd have to take what you dish out to others. :sowrong:

Been there done that as far as making a living on the phone...I was in sales for 8 years...I know what it is like....I am not saying people dont have a right to make a living, but I ALSO have the right to my privacy in my own home...

Too many businesses use the scam approach with "free stuff" and try to entice people to spend money for stuff they dont need....by "giving" them something.....

This is why there are so many phone calls all around the same time of day...

I cant fault folks for being short with someone after the 2.nd or 3'rd call during dinner....

Ok just to add one final perspective. This could be a typical scenario.

Sat down to eat dinner, phone rings - friend wants a chat

Tell friend you're eating dinner and will speak to them later.

Sit back down to eat, phone rings again - Different friend wanting to know about going to a bar later on

Calmly tell friend you're eating dinner but you'll speak to them later.

Sit back down to eat and once again the phone rings - Yet another friend asking a question.

laugh and tell friend you're eating dinner and at this rate you wont get to finish it.

Sit down to eat dinner, phone rings again. hear the words "hi i'm calling from..."

Suddenly get angry... why? you were perfectly calm when friends rang? so why lash out the second you hear a telemarketer? the only reason i can think of is that it's becuase you dont know the person on the end of the phone?

This is the discrepency i'm trying to work out.

My friends know not to call during the dinner hour for the most part....

The scenario would most likely be...

Call number 1 "Hi I am calling to tell you that you have been selected at random to receive.......*insert anything here*"

"I am sorry but I am not interested"

Call number 2...."Hi I am calling to tell you that you have been selected at random to receive.......*insert anything here*"

"I am not interested thank you"

Number 3....."Hi I am calling to tell you that you have been selected at random to receive.......*insert anything here*" ABSOLUTELY free!"

"I really dont want that..*click*

Number 4....."Hi I am calling to tell you *""

"PISS OFF!!!!"

I feel that is the attitude you have been getting. Try looking at it from the other side for a bit and you may see the reason why.....

It's ridiculous for people to get so easily angered over something so insignificant. Just say 'no thanks' and hang up, or just hang up. There's no way to justify being a dick for no reason. That's exactly what you're doing. Rather than take a second to be nice about it, most people seem to prefer being a total jackass about it.

It's one of the most minor inconveniences in the world, and yet that second of inconvenience seems to make people snap.

I'm sure these people don't like calling you anymore than you like being called, but some people have to do it -- they have to put up with rude, hateful people all day; you have to put up with them for a few seconds if you aren't interested.

Really, you're not angry over the phone call, you are trying to make the person's job as horrible as it can possibly be. Good for you. :disgust:

What's New

5/13/2024
Visit Clips4Sale for the most tickling clips in one place on the web!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back