• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

An old photo and long search

Ickis

TMF Poster
Here is an old photo that I stumbled across.

Betty-Bjurstrom-Paris-1949.jpg

This image interested me. The lightness and grace of composition, the girl’s masterfully provocative and perilous balance, the sense of height and air – all these imply the work of an extraordinary artist, so I used Google to make some inquiries.

The photo was taken in 1949 by a world-renowned Swedish photographer Christer Strömholm, and it was a well-known Swedish actress Betty Bjurstrom who posed for him. He was 31, she 24, and – which is obvious – they were in Paris. At this point, I wondered if it is possible to find the exact site the photo session took place. At first glance, there was no clue, but I decided to try.

I looked up the height of Eifel Tower in Wikipedia, and then superimposed its silhouette on the original photo to estimate the angular distance. Back in the 40-s a pro photographer would rather use a medium format film and lens, but the depicted angle of view resembles portrait telephoto. In terms of regular 35-mm camera, the focal length is certainly less than 100 mm, but definitely larger than 50 mm. So, the angle must be between 46 and 24 degrees – those figures are provided by any photo guide. Next it was time to remember trigonometric functions. Knowing the tangent, I estimated the possible distance the photographer was from the tower.

Then looking at Google map I took note of the position of the Eifel Tower’s sides and drew lines where it could be seen this way, since on the photo its square base is viewed not exactly diagonally or perpendicularly, but something between it. Within the estimated range there were still too many roofs to locate the one. I could never complete my quest if I didn’t spot the Gothic spire on the right – the unique landmark that let me draw the line further up to exact location.

I could not believe it – I found so easily the very rooftop the original photo was taken 70 years ago. It is an imposing building right on the Champs-Élysées аvenue. Google street view explains the massive stone semicircle on the photo – it is carved like arch if you look from the other side. Actually, there was no mortal risk in balancing so perilously right on the high eaves, since there is a balcony just below. Now some more math. The tangent proved that the angle is 31 degrees, and thus the lens’s focal length is equivalent to 75 mm – after all, I wasn’t mistaken at all.

Well, I am really impressed by how easy it is to get instant access to all the necessary information and travel virtually round the world sitting in your armchair (and impressed by her shapely legs as well).

map.jpg
roof.jpg
Betty 1.jpg
Betty 2.jpg

Once I studied photography as an amateur, so it was a challenge for me to tell the focal length by the way the picture looks. I guessed it as 80 – practically bullseye, since it proved to be 75. And I liked the photographer’s creativity – seems they knew how to rock that time.

o_o...holy shit balls dude. You really did your research on this. Good job! :D

What's New

5/20/2024
Visit the TMF Welcome forum and take a moment to say hello to us all!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** LadyInternet ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back