• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Anti Virus Question..

Mitchell

Level of Coral Feather
Not really "personal"., so hopefully okay to post it here.

As I mentioned in another thread.. I switched to Avast anti virus from Norton, in 2011, when I got a virus on my then desktop. So far,thankfully, Avast seems to be working fine in my laptop that is now two years old. When I have had a virus, it seems to get rid of it, or block said viruses in e-mails.

Today.. out of nowhere, I saw an application that said "Norton Online Backup" with a lock on it. It comes up in the options when I click on the Windows icon on my computer.

Does anyone else have this on their computer? Is this something I should be concerned about?

I haven't had any problems on my computer, except last week, someone had hacked my father's e-mail, and his e-mail was sending out e-mails with viruses to everyone on his contact list. Avast thankfully blocked the viruses in said e-mails, and it didn't cause me any issues or crashes on my computer.

I'm just wondering why I'm suddenly seeing this "Norton Anti Virus Backup" icon on my computer.

Any thoughts or advice? Thanks.

Norton Online Backup is not virus software - it backs up your data so that you can recover
it in the event of a harddrive computer crash. It is a paid service, so it is likely an advertisement
that is popping up, as it is web based. If you're concerned that you inadvertently installed something,
go check your list of installed programs (I use a Mac and don't know what version of Windows you're
running, so I can't give you the exact instructions on how to do this). If it shows Norton Online Backup
in the list, you can simply uninstall it.

Norton sucks, my pc was full of viruses, now I use Xoftspy.

Understood ,Bator. I don't like Norton either. I got an adware virus from it in 2011. I use Avast now. I was just wondering about the application on my comp is all.

I once used Mcafee and when I decided to no longer use them since it was so difficult to renew my license. You needed to edit the computers registry. :yowzer: :eek: I got tons of pop ups even after removing the software. Turns out Mcafee and Norton are terribly difficult to remove and leave traces in your computer. I found online the files I needed to eliminate to rid myself of the pop ups.

Sorry to hear that, kurch. I'm going to just leave everything as is.

Thank you, MistressValerie, and Bugman. I will look into the suggestion.

Carpe machinum

Check this page, 'Lad.

I'm sure you are aware that there is more than one form of cyber-sabotage lurking out there on the 'Net. This page goes into detail, at length, in readable terms. I'll bet Mistress Valerie is even more familiar with it than I am.

Also, Google a utility called Process Explorer. It is to Task Manager as Linux is to DOS -- same number of wheels, vastly more power.

I had a problem with ACPI running my processor nearly to one hundred percent capacity even with the Taskbar clean. I dug into the process, isolated the thread and suspended it.

ACPI is pretty much mandatory to the OS -- but it doesn't have to do anything. Since the alternative seemed to involve waving a broomstraw over the system unit and muttering "Processorus relaxus" repeatedly, I'm lovin' Process Explorer.

Check this page, 'Lad.

I'm sure you are aware that there is more than one form of cyber-sabotage lurking out there on the 'Net. This page goes into detail, at length, in readable terms. I'll bet Mistress Valerie is even more familiar with it than I am.

Also, Google a utility called Process Explorer. It is to Task Manager as Linux is to DOS -- same number of wheels, vastly more power.

I had a problem with ACPI running my processor nearly to one hundred percent capacity even with the Taskbar clean. I dug into the process, isolated the thread and suspended it.

ACPI is pretty much mandatory to the OS -- but it doesn't have to do anything. Since the alternative seemed to involve waving a broomstraw over the system unit and muttering "Processorus relaxus" repeatedly, I'm lovin' Process Explorer.

Interesting program. Thanks for the link. Always love new apps that help secure computers.

I am wondering though if your computer is running near 100% all the time its likely there is some spyware lurking about. Did you ever find a culprit for maxing out your CPU?

This is not my thread. Go to Forum>INTERACTION>General Discussion>Process Explorer and we'll hash.

My father uses the virus scan software that MS gives you with windows. It's weird that they can't advertise it. Something about a monopoly.

Havent checked this thread in a while. Thanks for the suggestions.

What's New

5/19/2024
There will be Tivia in our Chat Room this Sunday evening at 11PM EDT! Join us!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back