• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Anybody like shooting?

jugner

1st Level Orange Feather
I went to a shooting contest today. I entered into four rounds and won two. Cost five dollars per round, but I won $45. I went just for fun but winning was nice.

I'm not a shooter but congratulations on winning your contest. What did you have to shoot at, bull's eye targets, or clay pigeons, or what?

Still targets. I can shoot good, as long as what I'm shooting at isn't moving.

Congratulations! Shooting is an art (one that I've never been able to master) that most people don't appreciate. Positioning, breathing control, and visual acuity all culminate into one...the rifle (assuming you're using a long gun) becomes an extension of you. I envy you, your skill and the abilities you possess.

Myself, I could only pose a threat to the broadside of a barn if I smacked it with the rifle butt.

Yea, I don't hunt, not for moral reasons, it's too early and too cold and I just don't wanna. But shooting I compare to bowling, you just concentrate on your target, zone out everything else, and fire. It's surprisingly relaxing.

I agree with you, shooting is relaxing. Especially if you're going after static targets on an indoor range. By the way...what is 'too cold' for Alabama?

Wildtime said:
I agree with you, shooting is relaxing. Especially if you're going after static targets on an indoor range. By the way...what is 'too cold' for Alabama?

Not too cold for Alabama, just for me. A LOT of people hunt here. It's between 25 and 35 degrees, and you go about 4:00 or so before the sun comes up, and you just sit there, it gets cold, too cold for me anyway.

I like to fish, you don't have to go so early.

Originally Posted by jugner:
Not too cold for Alabama, just for me. A LOT of people hunt here. It's between 25 and 35 degrees, and you go about 4:00 or so before the sun comes up, and you just sit there, it gets cold, too cold for me anyway.

I like to fish, you don't have to go so early.
Actually, that's slightly warmer than it is up here, assuming you're talking Fahrenheit (we're metric). But I agree with you, I could be doing better things with my time rather than sitting in a duck blind or a tree stand waiting for:

(a) the sun to come up;

(b) an animal to kill and clean sometime before breakfast;

(c) hypothermia.

I have been deer hunting on a couple of occasions. And the hunting must be good in my area. There is a sign down the street from my house that says "Fine For Hunting." :jester:

aackk those poor deer i love them how could you? lol

isabeau

I'm an animal lover so I'd never hunt but I like to target shoot (bottles) The guys tell me I'm pretty good for a girlie girl... :evilha:
XOXO

Wildtime said:
Actually, that's slightly warmer than it is up here, assuming you're talking Fahrenheit (we're metric). But I agree with you, I could be doing better things with my time rather than sitting in a duck blind or a tree stand waiting for:

(a) the sun to come up;

(b) an animal to kill and clean sometime before breakfast;

(c) hypothermia.

Yeah I'm talking Fahrenheit. In Celsius I believe freezing is 0 and boiling is 100 where as in Fahrenheit freezing is 32 and boiling is 212, so 25-35 would be about -2 to 1 or so in Celsius. It defiitely gets colder in Canada, and like I say,many people here hunt religiosly, but that's too cold for me to enjoy.

steph said:
I'm an animal lover so I'd never hunt but I like to target shoot (bottles) The guys tell me I'm pretty good for a girlie girl... :evilha:
XOXO

It's interesting, we have a state park here, and for a couple of years the rangers kept finding deer dead. A biologist determined they were starving to death because there were to many deer and not enough food in the area. The park picked 20 hunters to hunt the deer for three days, to help the population overload. Deer aren't humans, you can't just tell them it is better to go elsewhere. So hunting helps populations from getting too big. Hunting has been around for a while, and the populations aren't even close to being depleted. Most of the hunters eat what they kill, actually almost all, either themselves or to someone else. And shooting the animal is more humane than the way cows and pigs are killed in slaughter houses.

Well, I know hon~My father's people were Cherokee and there was huge effort towards using every part of the animal they slaughtered. Me, I just don't have the guts for it. I am sure some places it serves a purpose. Congrats on the win, BTW...
XOXO

jugner said:
It's interesting, we have a state park here, and for a couple of years the rangers kept finding deer dead. A biologist determined they were starving to death because there were to many deer and not enough food in the area. The park picked 20 hunters to hunt the deer for three days, to help the population overload. Deer aren't humans, you can't just tell them it is better to go elsewhere. So hunting helps populations from getting too big. Hunting has been around for a while, and the populations aren't even close to being depleted. Most of the hunters eat what they kill, actually almost all, either themselves or to someone else. And shooting the animal is more humane than the way cows and pigs are killed in slaughter houses.

Yeah, a lot of people hunt up here, and in the Territories and Labrador it's a necessity. Some people still live off the land up there.

When I lived in Northern Alberta I participated in a culling of moose infested with ticks. The moose were dying of anemia anyways, and it was doubtful they would have survived the winter. Due to the infestation, we had to burn the carcasses in place...we couldn't even touch the moose.

steph said:
Well, I know hon~My father's people were Cherokee and there was huge effort towards using every part of the animal they slaughtered. Me, I just don't have the guts for it. I am sure some places it serves a purpose. Congrats on the win, BTW...
XOXO

thats awesome steph i didnt know that. and hunting for necessity i could see, but hunting for sport no way. shooting at targets is fine, my aunt did that and was state champion one year.

isabeau

Ya, my mom inherited a classic Winchester from her older sis when she died~I've been shooting targets since I was little!
XOXO

isabeau said:
thats awesome steph i didnt know that. and hunting for necessity i could see, but hunting for sport no way. shooting at targets is fine, my aunt did that and was state champion one year.

isabeau

My grandfather and uncle were avid hunters but I am not for hunting for sport. I used to shoot in the service and was a pretty decent shot. I shot an m-16 (automatic and semi automatic), a 45 calibar pistol (a very awkward grip, if you ask me), and a 370 windchester. I shot a 12 gauge in shooting at clay targets a few years ago.

I think if given a choice, I'd choose fishing.

In kentucky, my father is a master hunter ed instructor, a concealed carry instructor/instructor (meaning that he can teach instructors), marksmanship instructor, and I think he wrote the hand book on handgun hunting for kentucky. I shot for the first time in about 7 years a few months ago. I just tagged along for a concealed carry class, and shot afterwards. I shot better than the classmates and my dad thinks that I could shoot better than him. I did pretty well with a .22 handgun double action, and very very well with a .38 double action handgun. I didn't do so great with a .45, but I hope to practice and do better. My father has a 40 acre plot of land that wilderness. It is very fun to shoot there. And especially since I have just recently moved back around my family it is even move meaningful. Shooting is very fun and challenging. I encourage everyone to try it at least once.

What's New

5/4/2024
The Final vote for the 2023 Golden Feather Awards is open! Visit the GFA fouem and cast your ballot!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** LadyInternet ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back