• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Baseball Trade Deadline Deals

Mitchell

Level of Coral Feather
With the July 31st non waiver trade deadline only twelve days away. I thought it timely to start a thread discussing what moves we think teams will make between now and then. (As I know some teams have made moves already, if we want to discuss and debate those as well, let's do so).

I'll start with my own favorite team, the Atlanta Braves. I've been reading conflicting rumors as to the status of our first baseman, Mark Texiara. The Braves are currently on the fringes of the division race, behind three good teams. It is going to take a major hot streak for Atlanta to get into the divisional and wild card races. As we know, the Braves have many pitchers disabled. Hampton's status is uncertain, and he may be gone for the year , Smoltz is definitely gone for the year, and Glavine's return is uncertain. With these injuries, it doesnt seem likely that the Braves can make a run. As for Texiara, I heard a rumor on the Washington Nationals broadcast last night stating that their analysts felt that Texiara will be dealt before July 31, with the Braves likely out of the race, and having little chance to meet his agent's probable five year, 20 million dollar a year demand at the end of the season.

I also think that the on a roll New York Mets will deal for a starting pitcher. The Mets have played very well over the last week and a half, to get back into the divisional race. However, their rotation does have question marks. Johan Santana has been good for them, and John Maine and Mike Pelfrey seem set, but Pedro Martinez has been on and off the DL all year. Additionally, the Phillies acquistion of Oakland's Joe Blanton, combined with the questionable health of Pedro, would seem to indicate that the Mets might want to bolster their rotation, especially with them now back in the race, and having a good shot to win either the NL East, or the Wild Card.

So, those are some moves I think may happen. Any other thoughts?

Mitch

With the July 31st non waiver trade deadline only twelve days away. I thought it timely to start a thread discussing what moves we think teams will make between now and then. (As I know some teams have made moves already, if we want to discuss and debate those as well, let's do so).

I'll start with my own favorite team, the Atlanta Braves. I've been reading conflicting rumors as to the status of our first baseman, Mark Texiara. The Braves are currently on the fringes of the division race, behind three good teams. It is going to take a major hot streak for Atlanta to get into the divisional and wild card races. As we know, the Braves have many pitchers disabled. Hampton's status is uncertain, and he may be gone for the year , Smoltz is definitely gone for the year, and Glavine's return is uncertain. With these injuries, it doesnt seem likely that the Braves can make a run. As for Texiara, I heard a rumor on the Washington Nationals broadcast last night stating that their analysts felt that Texiara will be dealt before July 31, with the Braves likely out of the race, and having little chance to meet his agent's probable five year, 20 million dollar a year demand at the end of the season.

I also think that the on a roll New York Mets will deal for a starting pitcher. The Mets have played very well over the last week and a half, to get back into the divisional race. However, their rotation does have question marks. Johan Santana has been good for them, and John Maine and Mike Pelfrey seem set, but Pedro Martinez has been on and off the DL all year. Additionally, the Phillies acquistion of Oakland's Joe Blanton, combined with the questionable health of Pedro, would seem to indicate that the Mets might want to bolster their rotation, especially with them now back in the race, and having a good shot to win either the NL East, or the Wild Card.

So, those are some moves I think may happen. Any other thoughts?

Mitch
Need I remind you that Blanton goes to Philadelphia with a 4.96 ERA with Oakland. In that nice big spacious ballpark. If his ERA was almost 5.00 with Oakland what do you think his ERA will be in that Little League park they have in Philadelphia???

The change of scenery should do Blanton some good. He has great stuff and a live fastball. He becomes one of the best talents on that staff. If they can keep him on the staff for a few more years then he along with Cole Hamels will be one of the better 1-2 punches in the league.

Harden to the Cubs isn't getting talked about enough. When this guy is off the DL he's almost untouchable. His ERA is just over 2 and he averages better then 10 K/9 which is rare for a starter. I think he'll do more for the Cubs then CC will do for the Brewers.

Anyone hear any rumours about AJ Burnett or Erik Bedard? Living in Toronto you'd think I'd get the inside info about AJ but JP keeps insisting that he isn't shopping him.

4u, I see your point. However, I still think that the Mets need another starting pitcher. Pedro has been less than healthy this whole year. It seems to me that the Mets need one more starter to go along with Santana, Maine, and Pelfrey.

With the Braves losing two of three to the pitiful Washington Nationals at home this weekend, the Atlanta newspaper has declared the Braves season all but done. A realistic view. I hope that the Braves trade MarkTexiara before the 7-31 trade deadline. They should get the best available package for him, and look to next year. If not, he walks for nothing but draft picks. I hope that Braves GM Frank Wren does the smart thing with Texiara.

Mitch

First, I should mention that I find it hysterical that my Orioles traded Erik Bedard for a nice package of players, and he's fallen so out of favor that Seattle is putting him up for grabs already. :D Speaking of my Orioles, they need to try to dump anyone that they can that isn't part of the future. That might even mean guys like Sherrill and Roberts, though my gut tells me they stick around. But you never know. At the very least, names like that should be floated out there on the chance that another team blows us away with an offer.

Last edited:
4u, I see your point. However, I still think that the Mets need another starting pitcher. Pedro has been less than healthy this whole year. It seems to me that the Mets need one more starter to go along with Santana, Maine, and Pelfrey.

With the Braves losing two of three to the pitiful Washington Nationals at home this weekend, the Atlanta newspaper has declared the Braves season all but done. A realistic view. I hope that the Braves trade MarkTexiara before the 7-31 trade deadline. They should get the best available package for him, and look to next year. If not, he walks for nothing but draft picks. I hope that Braves GM Frank Wren does the smart thing with Texiara.

Mitch
Oliver Perez is servicible. The Mets starting staff will be okay.

This, I thought, was more of a discussion about the Phillies trade for Blanton. I am not convinced that the change of scenery by going from a HUGE ballpark where flyballs go to die to a ballpark where routine popups have a chance to leave the yard. A guy carrying a 5 ERA going into Citizen Bank Ballpark is kind of scary in my mind.

4u, I agree with you that a 5 ERA is scary in Citizens. However, the Phillies offense is better than Oakland's, so I think that will help Blanton.

Actually, I wanted this to be about all baseball trade deadline deals, completed, pending, likely, and rumored.

So, 4u, let me ask you: Do you think that the Braves will trade Texiara in the next ten days, and if so, where do you think he goes?

Mitch

Seems Bobby Cox has informed Teixera he'll be staying put. This is a quote from Teixera in yesterday's edition of the Atlanta Journal Constitution:

"Bobby pointed out that there had been rumors about me and [reliever Will Ohman], and he told us not to listen to media reports and to those rumors, because this team is still trying to win the [National League East],"

As of July 31st of last year, the Braves were 4.5 games out of first with the Mets and Phillies ahead of them, and in spite of this, they considered themselves buyers (trading for Teixera).

As of today they're 6.5 games back in the division with the Mets, Phillies and Marlins ahead of them. They've also admitted that the chances of them re-signing Teixera are almost non-existent.

There are rumours that if the Braves fall further out of contention, the Red Sox, Angels, Rays and D'backs could be possible bidders for Teixera's services.

Personally, I don't believe that Mark Teixera will be a member of the Atlanta Braves organization on August 1st.

There were rumors that the red sox would trade Youkilis and Craig Hansen for Texieira, but I don't think there is any way the Red Sox make this deal. I wouldn't do it for Youkilis straight up, since Youkilis' salary is about 20% that of Texieira and their stats are nearly identical this year.

I don't think teams are willing to give up what Seattle and Toronto want for Bedard and Burnett. Burnett is just too injury prone and Bedard clearly hasn't made the Orioles or the Mariners any better.

4u, I agree with you that a 5 ERA is scary in Citizens. However, the Phillies offense is better than Oakland's, so I think that will help Blanton.

Actually, I wanted this to be about all baseball trade deadline deals, completed, pending, likely, and rumored.

So, 4u, let me ask you: Do you think that the Braves will trade Texiara in the next ten days, and if so, where do you think he goes?

Mitch
By the way, ginbot that was some great stuff there. Quotes and a real idea of what is going on. But on that note though, that is what any good manager of ANY organization is suppose to tell his players because he want the players to focus on the game and not where he might be going. Because the manager's bottomline is make the playoffs.

As far where Teixeira might go, I actually think that he will go back to the American League as a member of the ( drumroll please ) Tampa Bay Rays. Now I know that might sound crazy but that could use a solid middle of the lineup guy to compliment Pena and Longoria and it would lengthen their lineup. Also it would help their already very good defense and he will help the pitching staff too!!! Plus who has one of the BEST minor league system out there. The Tampa Bay Rays. If the Braves are 8 or 9 games out as of the 30th, I would expect Teixeira to go to the Rays to try and help them win their first ever division title.

To me it makes the most sense to send him to the Rays. The Braves would get some really good solid prospects and the Rays organization would be letting their fans know that they are SERIOUS about competing with the Yankees and the Red Sox. To me it seems like a perfect match.

Mitchell: as far as Blanton is concerned, you can't always get your offense to score 6 runs in every game. With a 5.00 ERA that is what you are asking your team to do everytime out. Also with an ERA of 5 in the AL you come to Philly, shouldn't you expect the ERA to go up and not down??? :idunno:

Thanks ticklingfeet4u. I agree that Bobby Cox was probably just blowing smoke up Teixera's ass. That's why I think he'll be gone.

One point that just occurred to me about Teixera: when was the last time the Brave were sellers at the deadline? Can you really think of a major trade involving the Braves in which they gave away the marquee player? Saying that, with no hope of re-signing him, I still think he'll be gone.

I agree with you once again about the Rays. I think that whether it be Teixera or someone else, the Rays make a big splash at the deadline. They've shown they're not afraid to spend money for a chance at winning (Canseco/McGriff/Vaughn), and this might be their best chance at doing so, and proving to the Tampa faithful that they're not a joke.

I still think Blanton will turn it around for the Phillies. We're going to have to agree to disagree on that one. The first chapter in that story will be written tonight vs. the Mets.

Last edited:
By the way, ginbot that was some great stuff there. Quotes and a real idea of what is going on. But on that note though, that is what any good manager of ANY organization is suppose to tell his players because he want the players to focus on the game and not where he might be going. Because the manager's bottomline is make the playoffs.

As far where Teixeira might go, I actually think that he will go back to the American League as a member of the ( drumroll please ) Tampa Bay Rays. Now I know that might sound crazy but that could use a solid middle of the lineup guy to compliment Pena and Longoria and it would lengthen their lineup. Also it would help their already very good defense and he will help the pitching staff too!!! Plus who has one of the BEST minor league system out there. The Tampa Bay Rays. If the Braves are 8 or 9 games out as of the 30th, I would expect Teixeira to go to the Rays to try and help them win their first ever division title.

To me it makes the most sense to send him to the Rays. The Braves would get some really good solid prospects and the Rays organization would be letting their fans know that they are SERIOUS about competing with the Yankees and the Red Sox. To me it seems like a perfect match.

Mitchell: as far as Blanton is concerned, you can't always get your offense to score 6 runs in every game. With a 5.00 ERA that is what you are asking your team to do everytime out. Also with an ERA of 5 in the AL you come to Philly, shouldn't you expect the ERA to go up and not down??? :idunno:

why would the Rays want to mortgage the farm system, [ thats would they would have to do to get Tex] to rent him for half a season and maybe the play-offs. Tex will go to free agency just as his agent Boras want him to do. He will go to the highest bidder, which could be the Yankees. The RAYS would have a zero chance to re-sign him

FlockOfSeagulls, the Rays will acquire someone for the reasons I said in my previous post. This is their best shot at respectability, and they're not going to have a problem in coming up with the funds. As for their farm system, since their inception they have picked first in the draft more then anyone, and have picked top 5 in every draft but one. Also on that note, winning puts butts in the seats, and it's tough to convince the old farts in the front office that fewer wins now, may lead to more wins down the road, which is why there are always so many buyers at the deadline, so I'm confident they'll take a shot at winning now.

Teixera will become a free agent whether he's traded or not, and Boras will ruin another franchise by getting him $20+ mil per season.

4u, I read two credible articles in the Atlanta Journal today from long time Braves beat writers who both think that Tex will be dealt by July 31. The Braves are losing again tonight, and, to quote the writers, their season is presently at the intersection of Rigor and Mortis. Those two writers seemed to feel that the Braves were making a mistake by dealing Tex now, and that they should hold on to him, let him go free agent, and get draft picks. I'm of a different mindset. I say, get what we can for him now, and move on.

About Blanton: I'm going to see how he pitches, before making judgement. Sometimes, a pitcher can go to a new league, and do well. This is a long time ago, but remember Rick Sutcliffe for the 1984 NL East champ Cubs? He went 4-5 with a high ERA for the Indians, and 16-1 for the Cubs. I'm not saying Blanton can do that, but he can give them innings, and Eaton won nine games last year for Philly, with a huge ERA. I think Blanton can help Philly, but we'll just have to wait and see.

I still think that 4u's Mets will deal for a starting pitcher before the deadline, because of the questionable health of Pedro. Even with Maine, Pelfrey, Santana, and Perez, they may need one more arm.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

Mitch

FlockOfSeagulls, the Rays will acquire someone for the reasons I said in my previous post. This is their best shot at respectability, and they're not going to have a problem in coming up with the funds. As for their farm system, since their inception they have picked first in the draft more then anyone, and have picked top 5 in every draft but one. Also on that note, winning puts butts in the seats, and it's tough to convince the old farts in the front office that fewer wins now, may lead to more wins down the road, which is why there are always so many buyers at the deadline, so I'm confident they'll take a shot at winning now.

Teixera will become a free agent whether he's traded or not, and Boras will ruin another franchise by getting him $20+ mil per season.

The rays are having Phenom season and they are still not filling the seats.I am a huge Ranger fan, so I know a little about the Tex deal. we got atlanta`s 3 top prospects in the deal, I don`t call that ruining a freanchise.

Since when has The Rays ever SPENT BIG MONEY to sign a fee agent or keep one of it`s own.

why would the Rays want to mortgage the farm system, [ thats would they would have to do to get Tex] to rent him for half a season and maybe the play-offs. Tex will go to free agency just as his agent Boras want him to do. He will go to the highest bidder, which could be the Yankees. The RAYS would have a zero chance to re-sign him
Max amount of players they would give up for a RENTAL players would be two or possibly three prospects. I am not sure ,but I don't believe that is mortgaging their future. Unless, of course the Rays only have five players in the minor leagues then I might have to agree with you. For an opportunity to show the fans that they are willing to win this season I think it is a worthwhile gamble on the part of the Rays. Just my opinion sir!!!

As far as Blanton goes Ginbot and Mitchell: Five runs in six innings ( 7.50 ERA ) including two homeruns and that was at spacious Shea Stadium. A flyball pitcher in Philadelphia is death!!!

Max amount of players they would give up for a RENTAL players would be two or possibly three prospects. I am not sure ,but I don't believe that is mortgaging their future. Unless, of course the Rays only have five players in the minor leagues then I might have to agree with you. For an opportunity to show the fans that they are willing to win this season I think it is a worthwhile gamble on the part of the Rays. Just my opinion sir!!!

As far as Blanton goes Ginbot and Mitchell: Five runs in six innings ( 7.50 ERA ) including two homeruns and that was at spacious Shea Stadium. A flyball pitcher in Philadelphia is death!!!

and you don`t think the Braves , who gave up it`s 3 top prospects for Tex, didn`t mortgage it`s future for quite probably nothing in return when he leaves.

Matt Harrison = in the majors because of injuries, just 22 year old lefty

Jarrod Saltalamacchia= in the majors, we have had many talks on how good we both think he will be

Neftali Feliz = his recored between a & aa ball is 8 -3, 2.55 era, 123 k`s in 99innings, can consistently throw 94-98 mph

Elvis Andrus= the crown jewel of the trade, Considered by most to be best talented ss prospect in all of baseball. Has 38sb`s this year
many scouts see him as a cross between Hanley Ramirex & Jose Reyes. Did I mention he is only 19 in AA ball

just a little food for thought..

Chris Davis who already has 8 Homers in brief time in majors is biggest reason they were able to deal Tex .

FlockOfSeagulls, by Boras ruining a franchise, I meant with another ridiculous contract, ie Barry Zito, Carlos Beltran, Alex Rodriguez, Johan Santana. As you are a Rangers fan, I'm sure you know that since 2003, the highest player on the team recorded 0 hits, 0 runs, 0 HR and 0 RBI. He did however win 2 MVP trophies for the New York Yankees. (only Kevin Millwood, signed in 2006 was payed more by the Rangers then Rodriguez).

As for the Rays being afraid to spend money, they have attempted to sign numerous marquee players, but because of the team's reputation, and not lack of funds, have failed. I'm sure you recall the major free agent splash they made when signing Jose Canseco, Fred McGriff, Greg Vaughn and Vinny Castilla to lucrative contracts in the same off-season. With no big names willing to choose Tampa as a destination since, the best way of acquiring a name is through a trade. I'm confident they'll be active on the trade market. As ticklingfeet4u said, it's a worthwhile gamble on the Rays' part. With a young and talented core, the Red Sox will be a force for years, and the Yankees won't be out of contention for very long, so this might be the Rays' best chance to take a shot.

Last edited:
FlockOfSeagulls, by Boras ruining a franchise, I meant with another ridiculous contract, ie Barry Zito, Carlos Beltran, Alex Rodriguez, Johan Santana. As you are a Rangers fan, I'm sure you know that since 2003, the highest player on the team recorded 0 hits, 0 runs, 0 HR and 0 RBI. He did however win 2 MVP trophies for the New York Yankees. (only Kevin Millwood, signed in 2006 was payed more by the Rangers then Rodriguez).

As for the Rays being afraid to spend money, they have attempted to sign numerous marquee players, but because of the team's reputation, and not lack of funds, have failed. I'm sure you recall the major free agent splash they made when signing Jose Canseco, Fred McGriff and Vinny Castilla to lucrative contracts in the same off-season. With no big names willing to choose Tampa as a destination since, the best way of acquiring a name is through a trade. I'm confident they'll be active on the trade market. As ticklingfeet4u said, it's a worthwhile gamble on the Rays' part. With a young and talented core, the Red Sox will be a force for years, and the Yankees won't be out of contention for very long, so this might be the Rays' best chance to take a shot.

I am all for the rays going for it... it is great to see a small market have a chance. But Canseco, McGriff,and Castilla were not MAJOR Players when the Rays atempted to sign them. At that point those players were a shell of there former selves.

Name one BIG-TIME player they have signed with big money it took to sign them as a free agent

I am all for the rays going for it... it is great to see a small market have a chance. But Canseco, McGriff,and Castilla were not MAJOR Players when the Rays atempted to sign them. At that point those players were a shell of there former selves.

The Rays aren't a small market team. They're just bad.

These acquisitions were made in 1999, not 2005. In the 1999 season (the year prior to all players being acquired by Tampa) each of these players hit over 30 HRs (McGriff 32, Vaughn 45, Castilla 33, Canseco 34 in only 113 games).

Name one BIG-TIME player they have signed with big money it took to sign them as a free agent

After hitting 50 HRs with the Padres in 1998, Greg Vaughn hit 45 HRs for the Reds in 1999. Each year he was among the leaders in NL MVP voting. That earned him the largest contract signed in the 1999 offseason.

Last edited:
Today the Dodgers acquired 3B Casey Blake from the Indians for two minor league players. Story below.

DODGERS ACQUIRE BLAKE FROM INDIANS

The Dodgers landed the bat they've been seeking on Saturday,
acquiring Cleveland third baseman Casey Blake for Triple-A
pitcher Jon Meloan and Single-A catcher Carlos Santana.

Blake has a career batting average of .265 and in five
previous Major League seasons has never hit fewer than 17
homers or driven in fewer than 58 runs, with career highs of
28 and 88.

Full Story > http://link.mlblists.com/r/2LDHK5/GDZ7Y/LQZD5Z/8QWF/F2W8K/ZH/t?a=partnerId=ed-970067-55421524

Yanks get Nady and Marte for .......uh.....Kartsens.....Olendorf.....and a couple dudes i don't know of

Blake's a good pick-up for the Dodgers. I've felt 3rd's been pretty week for them for a while now. They have good young talent at that spot but they need someone now.

The Evil Empire gave up a couple good starting pitchers. I think they gave away too much in this trade, but at the same time, I think Damaso Marte is a great addition to their bullpen.

The Rays aren't a small market team. They're just bad.

These acquisitions were made in 1999, not 2005. In the 1999 season (the year prior to all players being acquired by Tampa) each of these players hit over 30 HRs (McGriff 32, Vaughn 45, Castilla 33, Canseco 34 in only 113 games).

After hitting 50 HRs with the Padres in 1998, Greg Vaughn hit 45 HRs for the Reds in 1999. Each year he was among the leaders in NL MVP voting. That earned him the largest contract signed in the 1999 offseason.

Every guy you mentioned was at or on downside of his career. Canseco....please he was done when the Rangers had him for about a year. The guys you mentioned were going to be signed to put butts in the seats. Not to add to a playoff contender. And they never seriuosly were in the running for those mentioned above

The only two teams I'm interested during this deadline are the Seattle M's and 'Burgh Bucs. Both of them are in impossibly dire situations with abysmal minor league systems and aging or underacheiving big-leaguers. I hope both can some how shake up thier dynamics by unloading their soon to be FA's, overpayed players and 'old guys' and rebuild from within within 2-4 years.

As for the Rays... STAND PAT. If they do they will continue to be dominant for 5-10 years. The Sox and Yanks can't keep outbidding everyone for FA's and making steals of trades. Sooner or later their bottoms will come out and they'll be left in shambles, leaving the O's and Rays to duke it out for the East.

But if the Ray's 'mortgage the future', then they may not stay relevant for quite so long. They need to stay the course and keep building from within so that many other teams can follow their model instead of 'do it the easy way' like the 'big market teams'.

What's New

5/12/2024
There will be Trivia in our Chat Room this Sunday evening at 11PM EDT. Join us!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back