• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Biggest Impact Bands

xionking

3rd Level Red Feather
Folks,

Alright, I'm talking the top 3 bands that had the biggest impact on you as you were growing up as a teenager. Now, this does not mean your three fav bands, although I'm sure favorite bands will be included.

Maybe if I'll name mine, it may be easy to understand.

For my youth, being as angst and rebellious as I was, it was all about the music that told me that I'm not alone, and that others out there feel the same way I feel. Angry fucking music that I'd sing in the shower every morning before I'd go and face the school I hated. These bands made an impact on me and gave me a reason to stick my middle finger up at society.

It's hard to narrow it down to three, because of how much music has played a role in my life. Nonetheless...

Slipknot
Korn
The Devin Townsend Band

PS. The reason why 'Metallica' isn't on the list is simply because they didn't release any material in between the years of 1999 and 2003. That's like yr7 to yr11 in my schooling, and besides...they had become my favourite band long before I'd even heard of Slipknot, Korn or HevyDevy.

-Xionking

Metallica.

Regardless of the time.. Twas still music that held a steadfast impact in my life.

Becoming my favorite band was just the icing on the cake.

Cheap Trick
Joan Jett & the Blackhearts (preceded by The Runaways)
Led Zepplin

Bayside

Britney Spears (Yes, seriously.. HUGE idol, major influence on how I turned out when I got out of my moms)

DJ Tiesto (I know he's not really a band.. but a HUGE influence in a large part of my past)

guns_n_roses.jpg

The Beatles... I was 9 when they crashed into the US.

Fleetwood Mac...I always had a crush on Stevie Nicks from the first time I saw her.

Yes..Heard Roundabout in 72 when I graduated and haven't missed a tour that came through CT since

All 3 groups played a very large part in my life through the years....and gave me a good appreciation for music in general....I listen to a little bit of everything now from Beethoven to Black sabbath..

Nirvana (yeah, I know, how original)
Guns N'Roses
The Clash

We're really giving away our ages here, aren't we?

My biggest angsty teenage influences were:

Sonic Youth
Nirvana
7 Year Bitch
Neil Young
Tori Amos

for me it'd prob have to be:

tool
slipknot
& any of the seattle bands from the early 90's: pearl jam, alice in chains, nirvana, soundgarden.
i've always had the belief that for me to like a certain band that the music, in itself, has to affect me on different levels, some of which being physically, emotionally and spiritually. these bands do all of that for me.

Pre-Load Metallica.

If James takes the band back to their roots on the next album I'll be a seriously happy camper.

Metallica.

Regardless of the time.. Twas still music that held a steadfast impact in my life.

Becoming my favorite band was just the icing on the cake.

We chew and spit you out,
We laugh, you scream and shout,
All flee with fear you run,
You'll know just where we come from,
Crystal Incorporated!!

:bowing:

The Blues Brothers band had major impact on what I would listen to in the future. Their cover versions from the first album lead me to seek out Sam and Dave, Otis Redding, a host of 50s and 60s blues and R n b. Plus their guitarist and bass player were from, which I now believe to be, one of the greatest bands of all-time......

Booker T. and the Mgs

As for who has an impact today:

Miles Davis
Screaming Jay Hawkins
Stereolab

Drew

Hey Folks,

Thanks for your responses. I find it interesting because

1) Yes, it does give away people's ages!! lol even though that's not the main purpose.

2) When I think about it, it takes me back to a complete different place to where I'm at now. And reminising makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside!

3) So many Metallica fans here!

Glamourous...Tiesto just recently played downunder here a couple of months ago. At the last minute, I managed to scalp up I ticket and I went to his show, not being a very big fan of the whole trance genre. Well, I have to say that it was an incredible show. I don't thikn there's one person in Melbourne who has said it was a bad show. I received a number of text msgs throughout the night from friends who were also there who said to me,
"Yep, I've decided...Tiesto is better than sex!"

That's a MASSIVE call to make. But I guess that's just how good of a DJ and performer he must be to some people.

-Xionking

This was next to impossible for me. I was a child of the 90s when it came to music. So, in order of debut...

- Nirvana - The band that essentially marked the end of the glam-rock days. Love them or hate them, they left an impact on the music world during their all too short run. Sadly, I never did get to see them live. Fortunately, I did get to see the next band perform...

- Garbage - When their first CD came out, Shirley Manson was the hottest thing on Earth to me. Plus, she was a damn good singer and the band came up with a brilliant sound behind her. They continued to tweak it over the years, but still remained a favorite of mine. I'll never forget the day that I met all of them at an autograph signing. One of the greatest days ever.

- Lacuna Coil - Seeing this band is on my list of things to do. That and propose to Cristina Scabbia. When it comes to female-fronted metal bands, I still believe they're the absolute best. Their lack of mainstream attention amazes me to this day, but on the bright side, it means they aren't getting played out.

Last edited:
Glamourous...Tiesto just recently played downunder here a couple of months ago. At the last minute, I managed to scalp up I ticket and I went to his show, not being a very big fan of the whole trance genre. Well, I have to say that it was an incredible show. I don't thikn there's one person in Melbourne who has said it was a bad show. I received a number of text msgs throughout the night from friends who were also there who said to me,
"Yep, I've decided...Tiesto is better than sex!"

That's a MASSIVE call to make. But I guess that's just how good of a DJ and performer he must be to some people.

-Xionking

Tiesto is AMAZING!!! My dad has been listening to him for years! and I was about 13 or 14 when I realized that I loved trance/house/techno. It ended up being a big part of a hard time in my life. The song with the most impact was "Just Be" I heard it at the perfect time, It made me stop and look around and realize I was doing some really bad stuff. (But I will tell you one thing... pop his stuff in the cd player before sex... and OOOOOOOHHHHHMMMMMMFFFFFFFGGGGGG! hahah!) ;) :)

Edited to add video for anyone wanting to hear it!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6WEsLSJ0i4c&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6WEsLSJ0i4c&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

What's New

5/27/2024
Take a moment to think about those that sacrificed all on this Memorial Day.
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back