• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Do Things..(Material ) Last You.. Forever..

Mitchell

Level of Coral Feather
I've posted about my incident regarding my computer on Saturday night. This saddens me, because, while it still works, it's likely I need a new one, after 3 years. This is also an aberration for me, as usually, any material belongings I have.. last me.. decades. Cases in point.

A TV I got when I was 8.. Lasted me 20 years, from our house in Ct, through two apartments in NJ, and two moves. It finally went on me, after 20 years, in 1998.

At that time.. purchased a used.. 6 year old.. $100 TV, because my mom didn't want to spend a lot of money, on a TV that could be broken in a move, as we were moving from NJ to Lancaster at the time the 20 year old TV broke. The 6 year old, used, $100, TV..lasted me.. all through the Lancaster years, 13 of them, and was left in the apartment.. still working. Many hours of movies, sports, and Mr Jim Gardner,. were enjoyed on that TV .

My first desktop, purchased for me by my dad, as a bday gift, in 2002, didn't go on me until 2011. As everyone knows, that was the summer I spent 3 months in NJ as my mom was being treated for her cancer. The computer was off most of the summer, except for about two weekend visits home. I believe that the computer's demise may have been hastened, by being off all summer, as it had exactly one problem before that, an adware virus.

This computer, that I'm going to,... seemingly.. have to replace.. is exactly 3 years old. I got this when we returned from that 3 month summer away in NJ in 2011. I never had a problem with it before Saturday night. It's an aberration.. because usually.. I take extremely good care of all of my material things.. so they can last me for as long as possible. Next time.,. I will make sure that any new computer I get.. lasts me a lot longer than 3 years.

So that's the question.. do your material things.. seemingly last many years?

It really rather depends on the 'material object' in question.

You are unlikely, I'm afraid, to find a laptop which will last you much more than 4-5 years though. With electronics, you have to assume that they're degrading from the day you buy them, particularly components like hard-drives. That's why it's so important to have backups of your important files (and favourite tickle-media :) )

I just got a new refrigerator after using the old one for 36 years (1978 to 2014). (It was a Frigidaire, in case anybody wants to try the same brand.)

My mother used the same vacuum cleaner from 1946 to 2008 and it never had to be repaired. (Hoover)

Most things will last a long time if looked after and treated properly.

Things that don't probably could if we knew how to look after them better (or could afford to), could service them ourselves etc - computers, cars for example.

plenty of old phones seem to go on forever if well treated.

We had a wonderful old VHS player in our family which lasted for years. A number of old radios.
I'm currently nursing an old DVD player in the hope that it will last a couple more years.

There's an often used phrase/joke in the UK, featured in Only Fools & Horses, regarding a simple broom - the owner (a road sweeper) explains to his friends that he has been using the same broom for 20 years - he then goes on to say that it's had 17 new heads and 14 new handles since he first bought it!

Cast Iron Fry Pan = Hand it down to the next generation.

Computer = Should be replaced at least every 10 years just so the hardware keeps up with current technology.

Toothbrush = Every two months at least

BDSM Slaves = When they become tiresome, whiny, or uppity.

Jeans = Until they fall apart (same with a good pair of old-school Converse)

A high quality pair of leather dress shoes = Can be kept for life provided you care for them properly and have a good shoemaker for wear and tear repairs.

Your drool, urine, milk, and tear infused tattered blankie from childhood = Throw it away in a HazMat bin. Now.

(Men only) Favorite ratty, stained, weekend fuck-off tee-shirt (once was white) = Keep until someone throws it away in a HazMat bin.

A good firearm = Keep until they pry it from you cold dead fingers.

That nasty gray cheap-ass net bag of foil-covered chocolate holiday gelt in the back of your sock drawer from Uncle Mordechai who delivers whitefish for the deli = Toss that shit away... NOW!

Thanks, guys.

I particularly like C.A.B's answers lol.

I wear jeans or any clothes until they have.. lots of visible holes in them, unless its to the office, in which case I try to wear nice polo shirts, even though we don't have to wear suits unless meeting a client. . I wont throw socks away until they have holes large enough where my bare foot is feeling through the shoes.

The old comp would have lasted me more then ten years had it not been off that whole summer of 2011. I got more than nine from it, even with that 3 month hiatus when it wasn't on.

BDSM slaves lol. Don't have any of those.. yet..

My aunt and I were talking appliances today and she told me she'd been using the same washer and dryer for 28 years. I've been using the same chest of drawers, roll top desk and night stand since I was 6.

I see CAB mentioned dress shoes. I recently bought my first ever tailored suit, complete with a pair of new leather shoes...I sure hope those expensive suckers last forever lol

Sorry to bump this thread from a couple of years ago, but this subject just came up this week.

I bought a wallet shortly before I moved to Lancaster in 1999.

At the time it had a money clip that wore out sometime ago.

However, the wallet itself finally tore to the point where it was no longer usable, just this week.

I finally had to throw it out.

The only material thing that lasted me longer than the wallet, is a TV.

Seventeen years, is a pretty good life for a wallet, I think.

What's New

5/15/2024
The TMF Links forum keeps you updated on tickling sites all around the web.
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back