• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • If you would like to get your account Verified, read this thread
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Do you all understand what I am saying here

tickleteasing

Verified
Ok I have a friend who wants to write, and well I know how hard it is to write a book never mind one that actually sells. Now I saw this headline and I guess I laughed at first but then after reading it I kind of felt like my friend who wants to be a writer is being treated very unfairly because this got published yet she has tried for years and years to get her stuff published. Read the article and let me know what you think?
http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/03/15...y-potter-and-the-da-vinci-code/#ixzz1H4nuBWTp

Who do you feel your friend is being treated unfairly by?

I heard about this book on the radio. It's certainly not a big seller
because it's a great book, obviously. It's just a funny gag that hits
pretty close to the truth. That's like saying someone who wants to
make make calculators for a living is being treated unfairly because
someone else made those giant calculators. Or remotes. Or whatever
example you want to use. Make sense?

Pretty funny

Thank you for calling our attention to this! As a joke book, and I hope an inexpensive one, I can easily see that out-selling Harry Potter ;) I think the ad said something about April Fool's day; the timing was nicely set for that release. (I must admit, if there's a copy in my local bookstore I just might not be able to resist..)

And then it doubles as a journal or a sketch-pad! But I feel your pain, looking at all the real trash that makes it to the bookstores along with the great literature.

Who do you feel your friend is being treated unfairly by?

I heard about this book on the radio. It's certainly not a big seller
because it's a great book, obviously. It's just a funny gag that hits
pretty close to the truth. That's like saying someone who wants to
make make calculators for a living is being treated unfairly because
someone else made those giant calculators. Or remotes. Or whatever
example you want to use. Make sense?

I would say being treated unfairly by the publishers. I mean she has worked really hard trying to get her book published and someone goes and makes an empty book and it gets published. Also, the word book is something I would use kind of loosely to describe this thing that got published, environmentalists might argue that its a complete waste of paper.

I would say being treated unfairly by the publishers. I mean she has worked really hard trying to get her book published

Which happens to hundreds if not thousands of aspiring authors every day. Let's face facts. The overwhelming majority of manuscripts submitted for publication are rejected for any number of reasons.

and someone goes and makes an empty book and it gets published. Also, the word book is something I would use kind of loosely to describe this thing that got published, environmentalists might argue that its a complete waste of paper.

Opinion, nothing more. Apparently the publisher feels there is money to be made here, and that's all they really care about. Altruism is not the way publishers work.

Has your friend looked into Self-publishing? Caution and careful research are in order before going that route with any such company but it might be worth looking into.

http://reviews.cnet.com/self-publishing/

I understand the feeling and the frustration, but I would suggest a couple of things. First, I don't regard the product in the link as a book at all, but rather, a novelty gift item set up to look like a book. There's also a product I've seen for sale designed to look like a microphone. You hand several of them out to your friends, you turn on some music, you tell them to push the button and sing, and when they push the button, they get an electric shock. Same principle: it's not really a microphone, and that "sex" item isn't really a book.

Now, about getting published. The one thing that a real book has in common with a phony novelty book is that a company will invest in it if that company expects to make money from it. Like it or not, your friend needs to convince the right publisher that this book will make money--or publish it with her own money and take the gamble herself.

I don't say this to be glib or dismissive: I'm very sympathetic to her, and know what it's like, as there may well come a time when I will be trying to support myself as a writer. I think the key is, your friend needs to be talking to people who know the business, and ideally getting somebody who knows the business to read her manuscript and make suggestions. And I'm in solidarity with her: I hope she gets published. Presumably, if she knew me, she'd hope I get published too.

Final note: when you're a student taking a class, you can talk of the professor grading you either fairly or unfairly. But publishers, like producers, aren't in the business to be fair to you. They're in the business to make money. They're in it for themselves, and they don't pretend to be anything else.

Addendum: The device was perhaps first used in the 1852 American presidential election by the Winfield Scott campaign, with a little book claiming to be all about the great heroic military deeds of Democratic candidate Franklin Pierce, all blank pages. Same principle.

Actually, I do understand what you're saying, although not from personal experience, just the experience of .. the sister of one of my close friends.

She is now a published author.. and currently writes articles for travel magazines. She wrote a book, that, from what I understand, was rejected by several publishers, before one finally agreed to publish it.

Publishing is a dicey situation. My father's brother used to work for Newhouse Publishing, in the financial department.. and I can remember stories of him not knowing why certain books or things got published, and other things didn't. Often.. its a judgemental call. One person might read it, and think it's crap, and another person.,either in the same publishing company.. will publish it.

I'm sorry to hear about the problems your friend has been having. I hope she can find a publisher to publish her work.

Mitch

I understand the feeling and the frustration, but I would suggest a couple of things. First, I don't regard the product in the link as a book at all, but rather, a novelty gift item set up to look like a book. There's also a product I've seen for sale designed to look like a microphone. You hand several of them out to your friends, you turn on some music, you tell them to push the button and sing, and when they push the button, they get an electric shock. Same principle: it's not really a microphone, and that "sex" item isn't really a book.

Now, about getting published. The one thing that a real book has in common with a phony novelty book is that a company will invest in it if that company expects to make money from it. Like it or not, your friend needs to convince the right publisher that this book will make money--or publish it with her own money and take the gamble herself.

I don't say this to be glib or dismissive: I'm very sympathetic to her, and know what it's like, as there may well come a time when I will be trying to support myself as a writer. I think the key is, your friend needs to be talking to people who know the business, and ideally getting somebody who knows the business to read her manuscript and make suggestions. And I'm in solidarity with her: I hope she gets published. Presumably, if she knew me, she'd hope I get published too.

Final note: when you're a student taking a class, you can talk of the professor grading you either fairly or unfairly. But publishers, like producers, aren't in the business to be fair to you. They're in the business to make money. They're in it for themselves, and they don't pretend to be anything else.

I understand the mic analogy but I think people do not spend years of there lives and hours every day creating mics. When I told her about this "Book" she described it as a pet rock and laughed. I guess the reason I feel bad for her is her mother died recently and I just feel bad that her mother never saw her get her book published. She writes an advice collumn for men and the book is for men well the publishers keep telling her that men do not read. I have heard of books being published that tell you how to kill yourself, even Hitler wrote a book.

I am sorry but I am totally lost and confused, what are you trying to convey and say in this thread tickleteasing? I am kind of lost on what you are saying.

This is another way of looking it and another reason this kind of makes me feel she is being treated unfairly. If a book like this were to get published, then any writer of any book could make the argument to have there books published. If you are a publisher and you publish a book with 0 content, then its hard to argue against publishing a book with any content at all. Think about it this way if I made a movie called "what men think about besides sex" and the movie was two hours of a blank screen, and it made it to the movie theaters, and more people saw it than Titanic, I think movie producers would be very upset. This is because you could then argue that if this can be made in to a movie, anything can be made in to a movie, and not all movies see the screen or do all books wind up on shelves. This is simply not the way movies or for matter books get made.

Yes, it's very funny.

It's so funny, I'm going to write a book called: "What Women Think About Besides Shoes and Driving Badly." :bwahaha:

I can already smell the publishing contracts... :D

The book itself is a gag-gift. Nothing more. Comparing it with a real book is doing a discredit to real books.

That being said, many people work very hard to write and sell books, and it never happens. There is only so much market space for books. My advice for your friend is to keep looking for a publisher, and if possible, take notes on why the book was rejected. Self-publishing or online publishing are also possible avenues to look towards.

The book itself is a gag-gift. Nothing more. Comparing it with a real book is doing a discredit to real books.

That being said, many people work very hard to write and sell books, and it never happens. There is only so much market space for books. My advice for your friend is to keep looking for a publisher, and if possible, take notes on why the book was rejected. Self-publishing or online publishing are also possible avenues to look towards.

Indeed, a point that has been made several times here. A publisher cares not a fig how many years of blood, sweat and tears have gone into a book. If they don't see a potential for profit they are not going to publish it.

A gag yes but a gag that is sold together with other books. I guess i would not be as upset if it were sold in a gag shop. But let me give you another analogy ok lets say they sold pet rocks at a pet store, would an animal rights activist have a right to be upset? Or what if they sold hot wheels model cars at a car dealership? I mean its being treated like a book thats what kind of bothers me.

I get and I understand that this was designed to be a gag and silly-joke. Yet I have to agree it is a major disservice and a total insult to writers and aspiring writers. This is totally crazy and totally ridiculous this guy having his "book" published-when it is totally blank pages and no content and no words whatsoever on this joke of a book. I think it is really bad for this guy to do this. I would be upset myself, I am sorry your friend is having such trouble so far getting her book published. Hopefully soon your friend will be fortunate and find the right publisher. I would try to tell your friend to try not to "sweat" it too much-sadly this is just a prime example of a dumb thing happening-that totally did not deserve to have happen. I am sure with her continous devotion and hard work-soon she will have an amazing book-will get her book published, just keep perservering and stay tough-don't let the "nos" deter her. Sadly many writers get rejected until after a long extensive search-the right publisher comes around. Look at Clark Gable-originally he almost was rejected the role to play Rhett-because of his big ears and many times on sets he was rejected-until he landed the role in Gone With the Wind -then after he became very famous-once was think a very sexy male acting role- he did a fabulous job with Vivien Leigh.

I know it is not the same thing-but the main thing while she can feel disappointed and upset-tell her try not to let this drag her down too long-sure her big chance will be coming real soon-just keep working hard-keep the faith-sure someday she will have a big time seller, best seller maybe.

A gag yes but a gag that is sold together with other books. I guess i would not be as upset if it were sold in a gag shop.

Every bookstore I have ever visited sells all sorts of books, including novelty or "gag" books.

But let me give you another analogy ok lets say they sold pet rocks at a pet store, would an animal rights activist have a right to be upset?

Animal rights advocates in general don't like pet stores. Due largely to their efforts, no pet store in Austin sells puppies or kittens these days. I'm not sure why they would care about anyone selling "pet" rocks.

Or what if they sold hot wheels model cars at a car dealership? I mean its being treated like a book that's what kind of bothers me.

If they do, so what? No one has to buy them, or even look at them. You want to support your friend, which is fine. What you can't seem to understand is a book publisher does not care about her or her late mother. They don't care how hard she has worked on a book. If they don't see a profit to be made they are not interested.

I can definitely relate, especially because, if I don't get a full-time teaching job for the long run, then I will be making a transition toward trying to support myself with my writing. And I definitely understand the frustration about her mother not living to see the book get published. That notwithstanding, you still talk about it as if it were a matter of merit and deserving. We all know that there are a lot of pernicious, destructive books out there, as well as many other books like hers, written for the purpose of helping people, that don't get published. Decisions don't get made based on who deserves to be rewarded. They get made based on the purely self-serving profit motive. But I continue to suggest, she should keep trying, and she should consult with people who can advise her on how to make it more marketable. There are so many publishers out there that she will never run out of places to try.

Animal rights advocates in general don't like pet stores. Due largely to their efforts, no pet store in Austin sells puppies or kittens these days. I'm not sure why they would care about anyone selling "pet" rocks.

What about a pet rock in an animal shelter

I can definitely relate, especially because, if I don't get a full-time teaching job for the long run, then I will be making a transition toward trying to support myself with my writing. And I definitely understand the frustration about her mother not living to see the book get published. That notwithstanding, you still talk about it as if it were a matter of merit and deserving. We all know that there are a lot of pernicious, destructive books out there, as well as many other books like hers, written for the purpose of helping people, that don't get published. Decisions don't get made based on who deserves to be rewarded. They get made based on the purely self-serving profit motive. But I continue to suggest, she should keep trying, and she should consult with people who can advise her on how to make it more marketable. There are so many publishers out there that she will never run out of places to try.

I am sorry it seems like I am venting I just feel bad for her. I called to console her about her mother and she was emotional because her mom did not live to see the book published. She is a great friend I actually offered to write the forward for her book. She let me write one and loved it. Its just that when you have a friend you want her to do well if that makes sense.

I am sorry it seems like I am venting I just feel bad for her. I called to console her about her mother and she was emotional because her mom did not live to see the book published. She is a great friend I actually offered to write the forward for her book. She let me write one and loved it. Its just that when you have a friend you want her to do well if that makes sense.

Completely understandable, and she's lucky to have such a concerned friend.

As far as the publishing aspects go, the best thing you can do is just keep encouraging her so she doesn't lose faith in herself or lack motivation.

Anything sold for profit is simply that, no matter what it is physically. No-one supports himself or his family by selling physical objects at less than the cost of their production (carefully expressed for the commodities traders here). It's not a book, per se, but a means to make money. If the publisher doesn't think people are going to buy it, he won't print it. It's a bitter lesson to learn, but in the real world there is no reward for effort alone.

Well, I don't know, but like another author mentioned, a best-selling book is not necessarily a best-written material. IMHO, the feeling of being accomplished is another. What? A Best-selling author of a wordless book? The buyers must be happy to pay for this ultra unique context and professionally designed book cover. In that case, I have no qualms.

I should get back to minding my own business.

What about a pet rock in an animal shelter

Here is what I posted.

Why would they, or anyone, care? I imagine if part of the proceeds from such sales went to support the animals there, animal rights advocates would be all for it. You are trying to equate an inanimate object such as a rock with a living creature.

I don't mean to sound unsympathetic towards you or your friend. Friends support each other. But your friend is not being treated "unfairly" by any publisher. They simply don't see any profit to be made in publishing her book.

I definitely think much profit and much benefit can be brought to many single men by your friend pursuing and wanting to write this book. There is sure a heck of a lot more benefit and merit-than I am sorry but some guy wanting to be foolish and sending a publisher a so called "book" that consists of 200 pages of absolutely no content, no words, and no concepts being conveyed; also even no cute or funny comments or illustrations being portrayed -that is for dang sure! I commend your friend and I give her big time kudos. I also encourage your friend to not be swayed and not to take heart. It is a sheer fluke-a error of sheer lunacy that such a joke of a so called "book"-if it can be called that was even created-published in the first place!

Your friend has nothing to worry about and I believe in due time soon or later a great publisher be it a male or female is going to see this great book that she is creating-your friend is going to be a star-her book is going to soar and someday she is going to reap her merit on working really hard and making a great seller come to life. Just sadly right now a jokester got the recognition for absolutely "nothing." I am sorry to say that-may seem a bit strong and harsh my comment just now-but it is a total insult to your friend and it is a total slap to the face to other hard working aspiring writers to be. Good luck to your friend-know in time she is going to be great-love to see what happens for her. Keep up the great support and being there for your friend-true friends are truly hard to come by and when you have one-hold on for dear life. I hope she knows what a great friend she has found in you-I think it is great of you being here for her during this hardship-tragedy also in losing her mother. Hugs

What's New

6/4/2024
Check out the TMF Gathering Forums. See who is meeting where and when!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back