• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Do you write letters anymore?

Bugman

Verified
It seems to be a lost art as a form of personal communication.It's so much easier to send an email,a text message or just pick up the phone.

Some of the charm of distance,and not being able to get in touch with anyone at almost any time is largely gone from our world.I can remember how excited i was to get a letter from a penpal that i would never meet,or even talk to.

Sit down,turn off the computer and write a letter to someone you care about.And send it by what we now call snail mail.Slow down,everyone does not need to know everything right this minute.

There is just something about holding a letter or even a card in your hand that cannot be replaced by an email.I pledge to do this within the next week.Anyone care to join me?:)

I agree that letter writing is something of a lost medium, but the reason it is because it has been replaced. The reason people used to write letters was that it was the only form of written communication. Since it was the only form of written communication, it was the quickest way to get that information to people in written form. Now we have e-mail, text messaging, and to a lesser extent IM.

I understand what you are saying and I agree that letter writting is a dying media of communication, but it is dying out for a reason. It is because people don't want to wait a couple days or a week to be able to communicate with someone. It is the same way with the news media. Newspapers are being replaced by 24 hour news channels, online news sites, blogs, and other forms of news media.

I agree that it represents a lack of patience in our society but it is all about convenience. I can send an e-mail or a text, which would take anywhere from 3-10 minutes or I could type up a letter, print it out, seal and address the envelope and then take it out to the mail box which would take more of my time. The benefits of instant communication allows us to get information quicker.

I agree that letter writing is something of a lost medium, but the reason it is because it has been replaced. The reason people used to write letters was that it was the only form of written communication. Since it was the only form of written communication, it was the quickest way to get that information to people in written form. Now we have e-mail, text messaging, and to a lesser extent IM.

I understand what you are saying and I agree that letter writting is a dying media of communication, but it is dying out for a reason. It is because people don't want to wait a couple days or a week to be able to communicate with someone. It is the same way with the news media. Newspapers are being replaced by 24 hour news channels, online news sites, blogs, and other forms of news media.

I agree that it represents a lack of patience in our society but it is all about convenience. I can send an e-mail or a text, which would take anywhere from 3-10 minutes or I could type up a letter, print it out, seal and address the envelope and then take it out to the mail box which would take more of my time. The benefits of instant communication allows us to get information quicker.

Hiya:bunny:
You make some good points, Carolinatickler, I think in the main you are quite right. But you know? I also agree with Bugman. Nothing beats the feeling of holding a real letter in my hands that shares news from a friend. :)

And at the risk of getting overly romantically warm and fuzzy, I remember with the greatest fondness waiting for and receiving the letter-cards from my husband (then b/f) when we were apart. It was like the waiting was half the exciting fun and there are things you can do on cards you simply can't replace on e-mail.

I used to (and sometimes still do) put a splash of my perfume on the card or envelope. And it's fun to draw little pictures and insert small tokens, whether a few bound hairs or a d.i.y. book mark etc.

So while i'm all for e-mail and telephones etc. I also totally am still thumbs-up into the writing thing! :cupid:

Many blessings,
chickles:redheart:

Can't afford the paper, ink, envelopes, and stamps. :p

You have a point, letter writing has charm for sure.

Hiya:bunny:
You make some good points, Carolinatickler, I think in the main you are quite right. But you know? I also agree with Bugman. Nothing beats the feeling of holding a real letter in my hands that shares news from a friend. :)

And at the risk of getting overly romantically warm and fuzzy, I remember with the greatest fondness waiting for and receiving the letter-cards from my husband (then b/f) when we were apart. It was like the waiting was half the exciting fun and there are things you can do on cards you simply can't replace on e-mail.

I used to (and sometimes still do) put a splash of my perfume on the card or envelope. And it's fun to draw little pictures and insert small tokens, whether a few bound hairs or a d.i.y. book mark etc.

So while i'm all for e-mail and telephones etc. I also totally am still thumbs-up into the writing thing! :cupid:

Many blessings,
chickles:redheart:

Your husband is a lucky man.:)

Aww, letters - I've kept most of them and its a lot of fun to read them once in a while when I happen to find them. It sure was exciting back then to receive letters but I have to admit, I've never been good at waiting for them - I've aways been the impatient kind, so I honestly can't say I miss those days.
I love the possibilities we have today and I even prefer IM's over emails as I prefer having answers immediately - yeah, I'm impatient like that :eek:

Every technology comes with a price. We lost a little romance then they started laying telegraph cable. We lost a little more when the telephone replaced the telegraph. And when they invented the answering machine. And when cellphones replaced landlines. And when texting replaced speaking. They all may be great things, but nothing that makes things easier is free, and it takes a while before we realize what we've given up in exchange. It's like Joni Mitchell said, "Don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you got 'til it's gone?"

The last time I did, I was 22. The idea popped into my head because the girl I was seeing at the time remarked on how she thought it was a romantic thing for someone to do. So that night, I sat down and composed a two page letter to her and mailed it off the next day. Let's just say that it was a very successful experiment.

When you get an email from someone, sooner or later your going to delete it, so you have more space in your inbox. It's different when you have letters or cards, because it's something that you can hold on to, and that you'll always have space for. I personally prefer writing letters/cards. What I mean about cards is, well I either make the card myself or I buy one and write more than just "Love, Cassi XOXO", I write more than that. Sometimes I have to add paper to the cards because I run out of room. It's just more personal when you put all that effort into writing something. To me you can see the emotion in someones handwriting and actually feel the words. With emails it's more like just words on a screen with no feeling.

I must confess that I don't write letters any more. I have replaced them with emails.

I do still send real holiday cards via snail mail. :D

My grandmother was lamenting the other day that letters are a lost art. She said that people stopped writing them regularly in the early 1990s and she says she doesnt even write her friends anymore in letter form; everyone uses e-mail now.

I'm not that communicative when I'm not face to face. And sending a letter containing 3 sentences just doesn't make sense.

I still write letters to some of my cousin's, aunts and uncles in Mexico.

Also I write my kids...they prefer something tangible they can hold on to, plus it helps them learn to read. So I tend to send them out a letter or a little gift every couple of weeks and include with the gift always a handwritten note or letter.

Rob

I write thank you letters only. It's a nice personal touch. Otherwise, I'm not sure I remember how to use a pen.

You gotta write Texas jailbirds real letters since they can't have e-mails or anything like that. So yes, up until recently, i wrote real letters still. They weren't nice, but at least they weren't typed haha.

I do, I do!

I am a big crafty nerd, so i make all of my friends and family handmade cards, like for valentines. And my cousin and I mail each other letters all the time, just to catch up, its much more fun to read than email, and you can add your own little touches. My next plan is to make cards for a volunteer program for people who are in hospices or are elderly and don't have much family. I think its kinda fun when you open up something like a letter or card, it shows you went that extra step.

I agree it does seem to be a lost art these days.

I enjoy recieving cards or handwritten letters, it's so much more personal.
I actually still write cards or letter alot but that's just me. :)

What's New

5/10/2024
Our Welcome forum has a place for you to introduce yourself. Say hello!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back