• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Does ticklishness serve a purpose?

CaptainQuantum

TMF Master
Okay, science has told us why we get angry, why we get depressed, why we get happy, horny, etc. These responses are all wired into us through millions of years of evolution, or by God or whatever or whoever you believe in. The point is, science has found that there was a purpose for all these things that would aid in the survival of our species.

Has anyone ever come across any scientific theories as to why people are ticklish and what role if any it played in our survival starting way back in caveman days? I mean its easy to say people are ticklish as a way to make each other laugh, thus make each other happy, etc. But the vast majority of people (present company excluded of course) don't particularly enjoy being tickled, and the laughter is simply a response they cannot control, not an indication that they are happy at all.

Its a sensation that, even for TMF members has something inherently unpleasant about it. Or else there wouldn't be that instinctive urge to pull away. You don't have an urge to pull away from something that feels good. Yet it makes us laugh, the only thing that makes us laugh regardless of whether we like what's happening to us or not.

So I really don't think its anywhere near as simple as, well it was just a way for us to make each other laugh. There's got to be more to it. And again, this could be evolution, God, Intelligent Design, Whatever or Whoever you believe put us here and ensured that we would evolve what we needed to survive as a race, what did they/it have in mind when it made people ticklish? Thanks.

From what I heard, it's a warning device. Most people are ticklish in areas that are either vital, could lead to mortal injury or are important to daily life (sides, stomach, bottoms of the feet, knees, hips, neck). As to underarms...you've got me on that one. I figure that once humans became the more dominant species they needed warning signals less and it became more of a pleasurable sensation.

That is what I've always heard in terms of scientific explanation too as to why we are ticklish. It's supposed to warn us of possible danger....like a venomous spider crawling up our leg or perhaps a scorpion across our backs while we lay on the ground sleeping. Why it makes us LAUGH though is still a mystery.

Mimi ;)

CaptainQuantum said:
Okay, science has told us why we get angry, why we get depressed, why we get happy, horny, etc. These responses are all wired into us through millions of years of evolution, or by God or whatever or whoever you believe in. The point is, science has found that there was a purpose for all these things that would aid in the survival of our species.

Has anyone ever come across any scientific theories as to why people are ticklish and what role if any it played in our survival starting way back in caveman days? I mean its easy to say people are ticklish as a way to make each other laugh, thus make each other happy, etc. But the vast majority of people (present company excluded of course) don't particularly enjoy being tickled, and the laughter is simply a response they cannot control, not an indication that they are happy at all.

Its a sensation that, even for TMF members has something inherently unpleasant about it. Or else there wouldn't be that instinctive urge to pull away. You don't have an urge to pull away from something that feels good. Yet it makes us laugh, the only thing that makes us laugh regardless of whether we like what's happening to us or not.

So I really don't think its anywhere near as simple as, well it was just a way for us to make each other laugh. There's got to be more to it. And again, this could be evolution, God, Intelligent Design, Whatever or Whoever you believe put us here and ensured that we would evolve what we needed to survive as a race, what did they/it have in mind when it made people ticklish? Thanks.

Perhaps it's because we are inherently intended to laugh and smile. After all, our skulls are always grinning no matter what the circumstance!

Oddly enough

I did a scholarly study of this topic years ago. I posted a summary of my findings in another thread a few months back, but here it is again.

On the bioevolutionary origins of dominance/submission and ticklishness.​

My take on the origins of DS goes to an ongoing problem in Paleoanthropolgy; why is it so consistently difficult for professionals in that field to find analogues to human behavior patterns in other primates? The answer is that they are ignoring a major fact of evolutionary biology; the genetically selected behaviors any animal species keeps and passes on to future generations are determined primarily by the ecological niche that species occupies in its environment.

The pretribal, indeed precultural human animal occupied an ecological niche called 'cursorial hunter'. No other primate has ever occupied a niche even remotely similar, hence the lack of analogous behavior patterns. The only other species to occupy that niche in the history of this planet have been Wolves and Feral Dogs.

If one looks at the behavior patterns found in Wolf and Dog packs, EVERYTHING you see has close analogies in human behavior patterns!
Wolf packs have dominant Alpha males, secondary Beta males and submissive Gamma males. The female Wolves have their own, separate dominance order. In general, there is one chief dominant Pack Alpha and one or more Beta lieutenants, totaling one third of the male adults in the pack. All the females and all theGamma males are submissive to the Alphas and Betas. The Gammas are submissive to the females.

Anyone familiar with the scene has noticed, and perhaps wondered why, submissives seem to outnumber dominants in all categories. Straight, Gay, Bi, Male, Female, there are always more subs than doms. It's a holdover from a time when the survival of the species was furthered by such patterns of subordination. In any survival-critical emergency, there had to be someone in charge, whose orders would be obeyed without question.

Another pattern which ensured the strongest possible offspring was that the females simply would not mate with the Gamma males, who often engaged in homosexual relationships to relieve their needs. This is seen in Wolf and Dog packs today. This was biologically engineered into our genetic makeup by evolution, and explains why even the most liberated woman feels attracted to a dominant man, while even the most liberated man feels the need for some degree of submissiveness from his woman.

The fact is, of course, that modern technological society has made these patterns of D & S totally unnecessary. The fact that we no longer need these patterns does not cause them to automatically go away, for two reasons.

First, it takes about 100,000 years for evolution to effect any major change in a species, and conditions which made male dominance/female submission no longer a survival advantage are less than 100 years old IN THIS COUNTRY. In many parts of the world, Male D/female S is still a powerful survival advantage.

Second, an evolved trait does not evolve away just because it is not an advantage anymore. Look at our tail bones and appendixes. To evolve away, a trait must become a significant disadvantage, so that those who do NOT have it are much more likely to survive and have children than those who do.
That has not happened with D & S, in fact quite the contrary.

This all relates to tickling too. Among Wolves and Dogs, in order to resolve dominance disputes without actual injury to a valuable pack member, they have evolved a submission behavior which turns off further aggression by the dominant victor like throwing a switch; flipping onto the back and exposing the vitals to the dominant animal. The dominant responds by very lightly touching the tips of it's fangs to the throat or belly of the submissive, symbolizing that the dominant could have fatally injured the submissive but chose not to.

In humans, the analogous behavior is tickling. If you look at all the places on the human body that are usually ticklish, they are all areas where an injury would be fatal to an animal whose survival depended on running with a hunting pack, or take away it's ability to successfully have/rear offspring.
Toes/soles of feet-ability to run
backs of knees/kneecaps-ability to run
inner thighs-femoral artery (if it is cut, the individual bleeds to death in 30 seconds)
backs of thighs-hamstring tendon
hips-pelvic joints
lower belly-reproductive organs
ribs/sides-all the major organs in the body trunk
underarms-major nerves and arteries
neck/throat/under chin-major nerves and arteries/windpipe
breasts(women)-ability to feed newborns.

This is why for a human to allow another to tickle/tease them is a profoundly submissive act, and to choose to take advantage of that permission is a profoundly dominant act. One thing makes this expression of deep submission and dominance different for humans than dogs or wolves. While wolves are sexually active only once a year when the females come into heat and their females activate the sex drives of the males, and for dogs it's about every month and a half, humans alone are sexually active 24/7/365 while physically capable.

For this reason, all expressions of dominance and submission among humans take on sexual overtones. For any person to allow another to tickle them will involve arousal for both. I have noticed that when a bound person of either sex and any orientation is tickled, they ALWAYS become aroused,(some will adamantly not admit it!). Even if the tickler is an inappropriate sex partner, such as an animal, a machine, a person of the wrong sex for the victims usual orientation, or an underage child this remains true.

Incidentally, several years after I first wrote the above, my theories were confirmed by no less a scholarly luminary than Desmond Morris, author of "The Naked Ape" and other seminal works on paleoanthropology, in a book he wrote on the origin and reasons for the close ongoing partnership between humans and dogs.

Mimi said:
Why it makes us LAUGH though is still a mystery.

Hmm, I'm not so sure it is entirely "intentional"..
In evolution, not only do those traits remain that make complete sense but rather those that aren't overly adverse to survival. That tickling makes us laugh could just be the result of some random development in the neurological wiring of animals. Naturally, it has to produce some kind of sensation so we can wipe off crawling insects etc., maybe it's just coincidence that is is wired in the brain in such a way that we have to laugh when feeling it. I could be wrong, though, and there could be a concrete reason for it.
There're other "weird" things that don't seem to make sense.. like, some people getting nauseous when experiencing motion sickness (even if it's just watching a movie, or a fast-paced 3d computer game). Certainly not overly practical, but that's just that certain signal pathways in the brain excite other (neighbouring) areas that have a completely different function, as a side effect, or the same mechanisms are used by different functions and sometimes things overlap. The brain isn't a very cleanly programmed machine and would be a nightmare to debug. ;)

Not really a mystery;

referring to my post above, let me point out that the sound of tickled laughter is very different from the sound of amused laughter, which is different from sarcastic or mocking laughter. As such the laughter while tickling takes place is an audible reinforcement to the physical indications that the 'lee is submitting and agreeing with the 'ler's treatment of them.

Mastertank1 said:
referring to my post above, let me point out that the sound of tickled laughter is very different from the sound of amused laughter, which is different from sarcastic or mocking laughter. As such the laughter while tickling takes place is an audible reinforcement to the physical indications that the 'lee is submitting and agreeing with the 'ler's treatment of them.

Another good question is of course, why laughter sounds and works as it does.. or why it developed as a means of communication. It certainly seems to predate human speech and afaik is present in certain apes and monkeys aswell. Could it be a remnant of monkey-like guttural utterances? I could imagine that laughter could be similar to uttering agreement and understanding in some hypothetical monkey language... like, if you tell a joke, and the other person laughs, he/she has understood it. But then again, why does laughter seem to be compulsive in certain situations (also with jokeful laughter)? It certainly doesn't work that way with speech, although that could be because human speech is a much more complicated (and thus more conscious) way of communication, where one has more control over one's utterances.

Does tickling have a purpose? Of course, I mean without it, having a tickling fetish would just be odd.

some1somewhere said:
Does tickling have a purpose? Of course, I mean without it, having a tickling fetish would just be odd.
And that folks... sums it up quite nicely!

Excellent job, Mastertank1!

I think Mastertank probably did the most masterful answer on this topic... I was about to offer my theories, but they are fairly indistinguishable from his own research, which is to say those areas most ticklish are vital points. Someone questioned the underarm, but again -- it's proximal to the brachial artery, I believe. They're all soft-tissue areas full of blood vessels and nerve tracts, or joints required for locomotion (necessary to act upon fight or flight response).

The response to tickling is similar also to the response to pain in that the tickled part instinctually recoils. It does so naturally because of its importance to survival. Even the anticipatory response to tickling is similar to that of pain, again, recoiling the threatened area. One could practically make the sensations interchangeable in function -- that is, pain could be removed and replaced with the sensation of intense tickling, or tickling replaced with the sensation of pain, and the observable physical responses to stimuli would be sufficiently similar but for the differences in vocal response.

Some years ago, I'd begun an odd bit of tickling fiction where precisely this happened -- a young woman's ticklishness was fantastically heightened to such a degree that it superceded pain and actually could substitute for it. I never put said character in any painful situations or situations that would be painful, any more than a papercut to illustrate the physical change that had taken place within her -- I loathe the notion of inducing pain or physical injury -- but I did make sure she got the Hell tickled out of her on many occasions. :D

In any event, let us be thankful that there is tickling and ticklishness at all, for we could have evolved very, very differently.

I recall reading somewhere, I cant remember where, that ticklishness can serve as our body's defense mechanism against being touched. Our body is our own space, and when we are tickled, our reaction of laughing, twitching, or pulling away, is our way of trying to put a wall up, to recapture our space. After reading this, I began to understand more the idea of why so many mainstream people hate to be tickled, as they feel that another person, even if their spouse, lover, or significant other, is violating their body and their space.
This being said, if this theory is true, then one would have to wonder why so many of us ticklephile lees, and switches, enjoy being tickled. I am not quite sure of what the theory or answer is to that.

Mitch

It's an expression of submission

Mitchell said:
I recall reading somewhere, I cant remember where, that ticklishness can serve as our body's defense mechanism against being touched. Our body is our own space, and when we are tickled, our reaction of laughing, twitching, or pulling away, is our way of trying to put a wall up, to recapture our space. After reading this, I began to understand more the idea of why so many mainstream people hate to be tickled, as they feel that another person, even if their spouse, lover, or significant other, is violating their body and their space.
This being said, if this theory is true, then one would have to wonder why so many of us ticklephile lees, and switches, enjoy being tickled. I am not quite sure of what the theory or answer is to that.Mitch

In the days when I worked as a bouncer in BDSM clubs in NYC, and when I regularly attended meetings of the Till Eulenspiegel Society as it's Master At Arms, I was initially surprised to discover that subs outnumber doms by about 3 to 1 in all categories, male, female, hetero, gay and Bi.

This fits right in with the analogy to wolf packs I alluded to above; the relative numbers are about the same.

Except for true alpha types and some Betas, there is a powerful urge to submission in most humans. As I mentioned in my first post in this thread, to allow another person to bind and tickle you is a profound expression of submission, and part of that is allowing, in fact inviting, the dom to invade one's personmal space. My 'lee/subs over the years have all agreed that the surrender of control, the exchange of power as some express it, is one of the aspects of being a 'lee that gives them the most emotional satisfaction and pleasure. They often told ne that they felt safe and protected while undergoing the consensual tickle torture, knowing that their 'ler was in control of their person and senses and responsible for their safety and well being at least as long as the session went on. They also felt absolved of responsibility for whatever happened during the session.

While there are many theories as to the "reasons" for ticklishness, that's really all science has to offer. Theories. In reality, it's still an unexplained phenomenon. Personally, I can't buy into the theory that like pain, tickling is part of the body's warning system. I live in a rural area. I do a lot of "yard" work in deep woods. Over the years, I've found all manner of insects crawling on me, from ticks to spiders. I can honestly say that none of them tickled. Also, the light feathery tickling is pretty mild in comparison to the deep muscle tickling of the ribs and underarms, which could not possibly be achieved by a crawling insect.

I'm more inclined to believe that tickling is merely the body's attempt to process tactile sensations in areas that are unaccustomed to touch or pressure. Nothing more complicated than that.

Door 44 Productions
What's New

5/4/2024
The Final vote for the 2023 Golden Feather Awards is open! Visit the GFA fouem and cast your ballot!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** LadyInternet ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back