• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Earthquake in Haiti: USA needs to help?

Sandrock74

4th Level Green Feather
I'm not indifferent to people needing aid or anything. If you find yourself in a position to render aid to someone in need, it's a great thing to help out, definitely!

BUT...

I was just watching the local news, and they were showing clips from people in Haiti demanding to know when the U.S. was sending aid for them. Excuse me??? Since when has the United States been appointed as the automatic caregiver to people in need across the world? Did I miss some world election on this? Did I sleep through the announcement?

I thought that most of the world still hates us? But, there is a natural disaster somewhere and all of a sudden we need to send money, people, and equipment? Then, these people in need stand there and wait with their hands out and then have the nerve to complain that we are not moving quick enough for them? WTF?

Why does this happen for virtually every natural disaster around the world? It just seems to me that when something unfortunate happens, the victims immediately turn to the United States. Shouldn't they instead turn to the United Nations? Shouldn't the world help them? With all that we do helping all these countries, where is the good will towards us for it? Why does it feel the rest of the world pretty much hates us, but they have no problem turning to us when a tsunami, earthquake, hurricane, or whatever hits?

How many countries sent aid to the United States for 9/11? How about the Hurricane Katrina victims...how many countries sent aid for them? These were issues that were taken care of by us ourselves (for better or worse). We didn't turn to other countries with our hand out and demanding they help us. There weren't clips of americans demanding aid from Haiti, Sri Lanka, Indonesia, etc. We did demand help from our own government, which our taxes pay for, but that's an entirely different matter.

That all being said, if we are in a position to help, I think we should...it's the right thing to do. I just don't think that when a natural disaster or terrorist attack occurs, the victims first response should be turning to the United States. The last time I poked my head out the window, the U.S. is in some serious economic shit of it's own! We have our own issues to attend to. Shouldn't the U.N. handle stuff like this?

Maybe I'm just getting cynical in my old age.

Actually, a LOT of countries sent aid to us after 9/11 and Katrina.

and also, we set precedent in Haiti as we supposedly were aiding them all along before this happened,,,not that it looks like we were doing much good...hopefully we can change that and actually make a difference now....

I don't really feel strongly enough about the role of the US to get into a deeper discussion here, but... two things:

I thought that most of the world still hates us?
So long as the Republicans are not in charge, most of the world is cool with you. ;)

How many countries sent aid to the United States for 9/11? How about the Hurricane Katrina victims...how many countries sent aid for them?
As far as I know Sweden offered help for both those disasters. For Katrina the US didn't even formally request aid from us, but we sent it anyway. I'm sure a lot of countries did similar things. :)

The US doesn't need to help, but it would be beneficial to our [world] image.

But yes, I agree that overall it is not our sole responsibility. However, I'm fairly certain the rest of the world is stepping up to the plate as well.

Avoid the sensationalist media. They are full of more $h!t than knowledge.

In respect to haiti itself, we've inserted ourselves into their social and political lives for years. So, when they really need us, it's only natural to ask.

Why not the UN? We're part of the UN...a very active & vocal part. At the moment, those who were there in the name of the UN are mostly dead under piles of rubble like everyone else. We're nearby and logisticly among the most able to respond quickly as is needed.

Why do people hate us most of the time and look to us for help when disaster strikes? Largely because of our arrogant attitude and the fact that, as a much smaller part of the world population, we consume an inordinantly high percentage of world resources...leaving others to languish in poverty. For a nation that takes so much, we MUST balance the scale at least a bit by sending aid when and where it's needed.

Actually, a LOT of countries sent aid to us after 9/11 and Katrina.

If they did, I've never heard of it. I'd like to believe it thou.

...hopefully we can change that and actually make a difference now....

That would mostly depend on the Haitian government I think, but it would be nice if things ended up better for them in the long run.

Avoid the sensationalist media. They are full of more $h!t than knowledge.

Yeah, I agree with you there! I don't normally watch the news anymore for this very reason. I just had the tv on for 30 minutes to fill time until the next program started.

Why not the UN? We're part of the UN...a very active & vocal part. At the moment, those who were there in the name of the UN are mostly dead under piles of rubble like everyone else. We're nearby and logisticly among the most able to respond quickly as is needed.

I guess you have a point too. I guess someone has to step in and maintain control of the zombies in Haiti. (Everyone knows Haiti is where zombies come from after all.) :zombies:

I'm not indifferent to people needing aid or anything. If you find yourself in a position to render aid to someone in need, it's a great thing to help out, definitely!

BUT...

I was just watching the local news, and they were showing clips from people in Haiti demanding to know when the U.S. was sending aid for them. Excuse me??? Since when has the United States been appointed as the automatic caregiver to people in need across the world? Did I miss some world election on this? Did I sleep through the announcement?
Not the whole world, but the Western Hemisphere, certainly.

The US essentially laid claim to this entire part of the world with the Monroe Doctrine.

Thanks, learn something new everyday. According to the info along the bottom of the page, we didn't even use all of the money and gas. I wonder why the heck not?
Generally speaking, the US doesn't need money. The US has plenty of money. What it did need at that time was supplies and manpower. Clean water, blankets, tents, food, etc. Thats what the real aid was.

its not just the usa being asked to give aid. i saw a news story yesterday that showed the uk, france, germany and china all loading huge planes full of aid. everyones doin their bit.

its not just the usa being asked to give aid. i saw a news story yesterday that showed the uk, france, germany and china all loading huge planes full of aid. everyones doin their bit.

I saw several news stories showing the same thing. Seems like a lot of people are coming together to help.

Instead of sending money, send money and all the unemployed carpenters, electricians, etc. that need jobs. They can teach the Haitians a trade to benefit themselves and help rebuild their country.

Here's how I see it.

We don't owe them anything. They are quite frankly at our mercy. Still, there is a practical concern for helping them. We don't want things to get even worse there than they already are.

In short, they are too geographically close to ignore.

Now, what Governor Charlie Crist (Florida) has suggested is a seriously bad idea. He wants to put refugees in places like Jacksonville and Tampa.

BAD BAD fucking idea. It was painful enough when Houston and various other places took in New Orleans refugees during Katrina, but the crime rates will absolutely skyrocket with Haitian refugees involved. They already went up with Katrina refugees, and there was less desperation involved.

So, the solution is to help them with aid, but keep them the hell out of this country.

Just a random thought, perhaps related to OP:

What if EVERYBODY IN THE WORLD gave say... $10 to the aid Haiti?

Or the equivalent sum (since there are those without jobs, too young to give money, etc, etc).

If every 'able-bodied' person gave the equivalent to equal out to $10 per human being on earth (which couldn't possibly exceed $50 per person), then the aid would be about:

$40,000,000,000

I should think that sufficient to cover relief for some time.

Just a thought, though. If only...

Many nations make light work

Hiya everyone! :bunny:
It's true that many of us in other lands have not merely "stepped" but "leaped" to the plate. Many countries are extremely skilled and swift with help. And, speaking of Haiti in particular, there are other nations which have direct interests there. Most Franco-speaking nations like, France, Switzerland, Western African countries, esp Canada, have thousands of Haitians living within them. (I think I saw an internet news note that Canada's Governor General is from Haiti!). And many of these nations have thousands of their citizens in Haiti who, until this disaster, were providing direct and excellent support to the Haitian community.

No wonder they are now reaching out with equally generous empathy, money, and the most expert skills to provide relief for their friends and neighbours in this battered nation.

It is tragically unfortunate that American news does not reveal this work of nations to its citizens. Our American friends might feel less alone in, and solely responsible for, the world if they did.

But that is not the issue.

Much more important is each of us doing what we can to help. For some of us it means offering our own gifted skills. For others it is in doing something to raise funds, or at least make donations to reputable aid agencies, of which there are several - but we need to be aware.

One other thing I would like to encourage us all to do is commit to prayer.
I know we all pray in many different ways - but in whatever way that prayer might have meaning for us, maybe we can each pray for like 2 minutes a day for the next four weeks.

It is the very least we can all do to help, right? :)

Many blessings,
chickles:redheart:

It is tragically unfortunate that American news does not reveal this work of nations to its citizens. Our American friends might feel less alone in, and solely responsible for, the world if they did.

I think that depends on how much news you watch, like the OP said, he never watches he just had it on for 30 minutes and since he never watches the news he's less likely to hear about other countries helping... I knew other countries were helping, didn't know how much they were helping, but I knew they were helping.

But I do think it does appear that other countries hate us until they need us. But that is partially our fault because we put ourselves out there and we want to seem strong and powerful over everyone and so we want people to ask us for help so we feel needed and make us feel more powerful.

On another note, I think alot of countries hate us for the same reason we might feel we're alone in helping out. It's because of the news. The news in other countries puts us in a bad light. And i know there are Americans on here that'll disagree and say what other countries think about us are true. But other countries do seem to report on us and make us seem worse than we are (And of course media here does that too). so yeah, News sucks.

Hiya everyone! :bunny:
It's true that many of us in other lands have not merely "stepped" but "leaped" to the plate. Many countries are extremely skilled and swift with help. And, speaking of Haiti in particular, there are other nations which have direct interests there. Most Franco-speaking nations like, France, Switzerland, Western African countries, esp Canada, have thousands of Haitians living within them. (I think I saw an internet news note that Canada's Governor General is from Haiti!). And many of these nations have thousands of their citizens in Haiti who, until this disaster, were providing direct and excellent support to the Haitian community.

No wonder they are now reaching out with equally generous empathy, money, and the most expert skills to provide relief for their friends and neighbours in this battered nation.

But that is not the issue.

Much more important is each of us doing what we can to help. For some of us it means offering our own gifted skills. For others it is in doing something to raise funds, or at least make donations to reputable aid agencies, of which there are several - but we need to be aware.

One other thing I would like to encourage us all to do is commit to prayer.
I know we all pray in many different ways - but in whatever way that prayer might have meaning for us, maybe we can each pray for like 2 minutes a day for the next four weeks.

It is the very least we can all do to help, right? :)

Many blessings,
chickles:redheart:

Excellent, beautiful post. And I agree with the news bit as well. Living in California, I sometimes even forget there are other states because of what little news I do watch. You hardly ever hear about anywhere else. Ever.

I used to live someplace else other than here and I took for granted my nightly news showed me what went on all over the world. Every channel would. Here it seems I need to tune into cable for that or a specific news show or station.

Facebook seems to be a better and faster way to receive world news.

I think that depends on how much news you watch, like the OP said, he never watches he just had it on for 30 minutes and since he never watches the news he's less likely to hear about other countries helping... I knew other countries were helping, didn't know how much they were helping, but I knew they were helping.

But I do think it does appear that other countries hate us until they need us. But that is partially our fault because we put ourselves out there and we want to seem strong and powerful over everyone and so we want people to ask us for help so we feel needed and make us feel more powerful.

On another note, I think alot of countries hate us for the same reason we might feel we're alone in helping out. It's because of the news. The news in other countries puts us in a bad light. And i know there are Americans on here that'll disagree and say what other countries think about us are true. But other countries do seem to report on us and make us seem worse than we are (And of course media here does that too). so yeah, News sucks.

I MUST agree with this, don't want to go too far off topic, but over here in the UK, American's ARE regularly regarded in a bad light due to the press. Since the expenses scandall over here when the British MPs were taking money from the taxpayer for personal luxuries, we have been berating Gordon Brown for letting it happen and only letting a few of the culprits go. Then of course Obama met Gordon Brown and pretty much snubbed him and ALL OF A SUDDEN we are supposedly outraged that Brown was disrespected by Obama. MY ARSE!! Put simply.

About Haiti, I've already sent a fiver. Of course we should help.

just to be clear i dont think that many people hate america itself (no more than people hate england anyway) or its people (you lot are alrite aintcha?) BUT people did hate the bush administration. but then no1 hated that more than 90% of the american people and now thats gone anyway so relax your in the clear!!!

just to be clear i dont think that many people hate america itself (no more than people hate england anyway) or its people (you lot are alrite aintcha?) BUT people did hate the bush administration. but then no1 hated that more than 90% of the american people and now thats gone anyway so relax your in the clear!!!

I agree. :england: :usa:

If you watch CNN you would think the USA was the only country helping. Canada has sent allot of help, but we can't even use the air port because the American's have taken it over an won't let anybody else land there. I'm glad I have access to both American and None American TV so I can see just how full of shit the American media really is.

What's New

5/4/2024
The Final vote for the 2023 Golden Feather Awards is open! Visit the GFA fouem and cast your ballot!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** LadyInternet ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back