• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Exercise Question/Disccssion.

Mitchell

Level of Coral Feather
I do.. two miles on the treadmill, anywhere from two to four times a week, most often two or three times a week.

It takes me, about a half hour, or a little more, to do so, as I usually set the treadmill for between 3 and 4 mph as I'm using it.

My question is: For the fitness buffs or people who are really into workouts, more than I am..

Is doing.. two miles on the treadmill a day, and four to eight miles a week, the same thing, as if I actually walked or jogged such distance on a street.. or does just doing so on a stationary treadmill not have the same benefits as if one walked two miles a day several times a week on a road or street?

Thoughts? Thanks.

Hi Mitchell .Broadly speaking it should make little difference , but I would suggest that walking outdoors is MUCH more benificial because it is way more interesting , and you get more from it than just burning calories , which in turn makes want to keep doing it . I have personal experience of how addictive street / road walking can become , and , how demotivating gym work gets , so my suggestion is, hit the open road , don't think too much about the exercise benifit . just try to absorb whats going on around you , become an explorer ' today I'll head North ' , today I'll visit this area , etc . So . ditch the grind of the gym and go and see the world . cheers .

Thanks, stroker.

The thing is, where I live, really has little "open road". There are some long streets, etc, but, they are often filled with cars, with little sidewalk.

I'll take your advice, and try to find outside places to walk.

I, too, have been taught that running two miles provides the same benefit as walking two miles. It's all a matter of how quickly you wanna get done, and how much you value your time. However, you don't want to taper off. Once two miles becomes too easy, you should challenge yourself more, or your fitness begins to plateau. Either increase the distance traveled, raise the treadmill incline, etc. Do whatever it takes to boost your heart rate to 140 bpm consistently throughout your workout.

Thanks, Flat.

I'm embarrassed to admit, I don't watch my heart rate throughout my workout. I'm going to put that option on the treadmill.

Two miles isn't "easy". It seems just about right, at least for now. I'm not even tired after one mile, which takes, 15 to 17 minutes for me to do at 3.5 miles per hour, but, at two miles, I'm tired, out of breath, and sweating a lot, so at least for the time being, two miles seems to be about the right amount.

I'd think that if you're working at the same speed/incline it shouldn't matter calorie wise whether it's indoors or outdoors. However the open air and changing scenary could be a bit more refreshing. There are many different theories regarding exercise and what works the best. Experiment, get creative Mitch and see what works best for your body type and ability.

Personally when it comes to cardio I've found that a routine known as H.I.I.T works best for me and I've used it half of my life. It stands for high intensity interval training and I won't go into great detail but look it up and give it a go. A quick example, you say you go at 4 mph, do 4 for a minute then do 6 for a minute, then back down to 4 and so on and so forth. It all depends on your goals but be sure to push yourself, within reason of course. Don't be having a heart attack on the damn treadmill ...lol..:)

Thanks, Bizkit.

I'm embarrassed to admit.. tomorrow will be a week, since I've been to the gym. "Hangs head". Job interviews, a visit from a friend, and other things have distracted me this week. I'm definitely going tomorrow. I have to, lol. I've gained weight this week from not watching myself, and not exercising.

A week isn't anything to be ashamed of Mitch and in fact time off is good. Good luck with your routine in 2015 and be sure to challenge yourself!

I usually run about four miles, four to five times a week. I will say running outside has it's benefits though you do need to have the right shoes, or it will wreak havoc on your knees and feet. Never been on a treadmill, but I'd look into walking or jogging outdoors if I were you, but to each their own.

What's New

5/11/2024
The TMF Art and Story Archives collect some of our communities best creators work in one place!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back