• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

For those who suffer from panic attacks...

Adam

1st Level Indigo Feather
They suck, don't they? I am speaking as one who suffers from this disorder. The good thing is that I haven't had a doozy since around October of 2007. But I had a nice one tonight. For those who don't go through this, imagine having symptoms eerily simlilar to a heart attack, though without the crushing chest pain. You do, however, have an overwhelming sense of impending doom. You are going to die. At the time, you sincerely believe that.

Fortunately for me, I've had enough of them to recognize the symptoms. I know it's just a figment of my imagination that will pass and I'm in no danger. Still, there is a minor part of me that thinks I really am in trouble. I don't wish such a condition on anyone. I am so grateful that it doesn't hit me often anymore.

Anyway, I just had to tell you all about this. I'm fairly confident that there are other members here who have had this happen to them. It's not fun. Consider this a support thread. Thanks for listening.

Holy Crap... hope I didn't contribute to that one Adam!!! I have major panic attacks....... I am fortunate enough to feel them coming on and quickly I dash for my meds!!!! Sometimes it's hard for me to leave the security of my bedroom and face the outside world!!!!

chest pain erratic heart beat..... aaahhhhhh hating every minute of it!!!!! it's nice after you spend a thousand bucks on ekg and stress test to find out your heart is good its just anxiety!!!!!!!!!!

Iris, I've been there. I have twice had them so severe that I had to call an ambulance. One of those times I actually went to the hospital. Of course, my EKG was just fine. It's a nasty little disorder. You really feel like you're experiencing your last moments on Earth. I used to be on meds for it, but I have generally learned to control them. Not an easy task, but manageable.

I used to have one every day, and it would last anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour, for three months.

It stopped as suddenly as it started though.

What I used to do when I had one was crank the music up high and light a few smokes, reminding myself that with each second that goes by, I'm losing life simply by being alive. That helped.

Yeah, I suffer from them as well. Had a mini one tonight as a matter of fact. They feel like you've been hit by a brick wall and are suddenly out of control of yourself. ...sucks donkey balls.

I sympathize

I too have panic attacks.
Couple that with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder when everything hits at once its a doosy.

In fact I had a heart episode (resulting in a slight mitro-valve prolapse) way back in the mid 90's due to both things hitting at the time.

They can not only be scary but also at times make you act differently.

Often times I will avoid certain stressful situations because I know what could happen. Mainly because I know I have had a heart episode before.

But through a doctor I was able to learn to control a lot of those feelings and have ways to refocus instead of stressing out over a lot of things.

It is tough, but it can be done to get through these.

Rob

*raises hand*

Fellow sufferer too. I've been battling them for 12 years now. Fortunately, I also can identify the warning signs and know even when I'm having my worst that it's a mentally induced condition, so I'm able to deal with most...even the really bad ones. They are still hell to live with, though, and can really put a damper on stuff when one comes at those extremely inconvenient times (like when you're in the middle of heavy traffic at high speeds, or right in the process of being checked out or personally assisted at the store).

I totally sympathize with ya's all. :cuddle:

Me too!

I was fighting one a few weeks ago; I had to present my final capstone project for my MBA. Wouldn't you know I was the last presenter? I took so much buspar I thought I'd float to the podium!

My professor decided to play rapid-fire questioning DURING my presentation instead of waiting afterwards. I ended up ending my 44 slide presentation 14 slides short then bolting for the bathroom after the question and answer period. Needless to say, I'll be repeating the course in September.:sadcry::(

Anxiety disorder really sucks!!

I have been prescribed medication for being an antidepressant and extreme anxiety. And yes it really sucks to be this way. I didn't have my down fall until my last year in high school. It was the worst year of my life. I've always had the anxiety that I'm disappointing someone, or I'm not good enough. I fell really hard. Eventually I want to stop taking the medication but that is going to take some years. Yeah...Enny is crazy! :jester:

Wow, I'm actually surprised by the number of responses thus far. I guess this really is more common than I imagined. Guys and girls, thank you all for the support. You most certainly have mine! :)

The only time I suffer them is the first 1/2 hour after smoking pot. I get a wierd discomfort in my chest and my heart rate accellerates. Then the paranoia kicks in and I start thinking I'm gonna die of a heart attack. After about 30/45 min it dies down and eveything's back to normal. DOes anyone else who smokes pot have this particular problem?

Here too, though mine are somewhat tied in with something else. They aren't especially unpredictable for me and often triggered by things around me, a phrase or certain objects. I don't do head drugs, blah on head drugs i say hehe. The only thing that has really helped me through a panic attack has been benzodiazepines and knowing how dependent i can get upon them i just opt to get through it, attack by attack.
I seldom have them these days. I've found a few effective emotional outlets that keep me from focusing on certain trigger-activated stressors.
During an attack i use a method of utilizing something that will evoke a strong emotional response to distract me from the attack itself. In my case, i eliminate all other environmental factors by shutting myself into my bedroom (or a bathroom if i'm say at work) and drawing the curtains for a short time and play a particular song to distract me (or run the song through my head repeatedly if i am unable to listen to it). Eventually that feeling of "shit, i'm about to die" eases some and i'm able to function again. THis doesn't help the mood altering an attack has on me. Usually i'm still emotionally hypersensitive a few hours after one of these, but with appropriate care and a good dose of reasoning, i'm still functional. I've found that honesty is often a good policy when handling personal relationships after an attack. If i know i'm going to be somewhat unusually sensitive, i make it pretty clear "hey, i'm feeling kinda funky today, i'll feel better in a while". You'd be surprised how many people around you can not only relate, but experience the same things.
Here's a question for you other panic attack sufferer's though, do any of you get the insane nausea/vomiting from them? That's the only part of the attack i am still figuring out how to handle. If you do, what do you do to make it stop?

I've had them also.The last one was about a year and a half ago.I was sure i was either going to die or lose my mind,perhaps both.I got online,contacted a friend who also gets them,and she helped me through it.Had she not been around i'm sure i would have wound up in the emergency room.Don't think i've ever been so scared in my life.

After that little incident i finally saw a doctor,started taking Effexor and made some changes in my life.Thank God i've not had one since.My heart goes out to those of you who deal with this,and if i can help in any way my pm box is open.

Here too,

hun i am so sorry for that and i will help u out with that the best i can i will always be there for ya as for me when i was a younger i had them and it was not fun a few years ago i did have a very bad one and ended up in the hospital i did not know what it was it was so bad i thought i was having a heart attack of stroke and i was in the mall it was pretty bad but since then i have been fine

The only time I suffer them is the first 1/2 hour after smoking pot. I get a wierd discomfort in my chest and my heart rate accellerates. Then the paranoia kicks in and I start thinking I'm gonna die of a heart attack. After about 30/45 min it dies down and eveything's back to normal. DOes anyone else who smokes pot have this particular problem?

Mm, I know what you mean. It usually takes other triggers for me at the same time, which (I think) I've got identified. Even then, what I experience sounds pretty damn mild compared to what I've read here.

So, what in particular causes panic attacks to happen? Is it a specific disorder or a symptom of several?

Here's a question for you other panic attack sufferer's though, do any of you get the insane nausea/vomiting from them? That's the only part of the attack i am still figuring out how to handle. If you do, what do you do to make it stop?

Yes, but only during the major ones but not all the time. It's always fun to feel out of control and puking. Not. If I've thrown up once during an attack, it generally doesn't happen a second time, so when the attack passes so does the nausea.

I've suffered from panic attacks since I was 8. I finally went on medication when I entered college. After some trial and error, I finally found a combination that works most of the time. Before that I'd have a few major panic attacks a day, it was rough.

LOL I actually had a minor panic attack during my first shoot with Amber, since I had never done anything like that before.

I have had a couple panic attacks in the past few years and was diagnosed with PTSD.

The first time I had one, I had no idea what was going on and really thought I was dying or having an asthma attack. It was the hyperventilating flight or fight feeling that makes you feel like you are suffocating.

I have only had a few, but with the help of meditation, breathing exercises, and a low dose of Prozac during more stressful times in my life, I've been able to notice when one is coming on and breathe my way through it.

I know what you are saying. Sadly I have many times have endured and I sadly have suffered these terrible intense emot. panic attacks too.
They are definitely no picnic in the park that is for sure. Your heart really does hurt and it seriously does feel like you are actually having a real intense bad heart attack. you swear you are to find really you are not. It is just a intense emot panic attack-masquerading and giving symptoms similiar of what you hear you would have if you had a heart attack.

I know what you are saying. I have felt that terrible crushing chest pain and have experienced the nausea feeling; not fun-really sucks when this happens; not only that but can be hard to catch your breath, you can hyperventilate not fun.
It is a very scary thing. makes your chest feel tight and tense-makes your whole body physically tense up and get rigid all over-terrible bad feeling-really can get your nerves emotionally going really bad. so yes sadly I have experienced my share of emot panic attacks and sadly I still experience these from time to time; as of late lot more than usual-probably results from being so physically tired and worn out-from being sooo emotionally and mentally worn down-from sooo much big time stress ultimately stressing me out really badly.

Not real sure what causes this to happen. Just know I don't care for it and really hate when this happens. Not fun and it is a terrible feeling. Would not wish these on my greatest enemies.
So I know what u are saying Iris and many of you; that have also experienced this. Not fun.

Oh sure all the time. It's a lot less scary once you know what's happening to you. I have to pay extra attention to surroundings and plan in advance, that helps a lot. For me, things like flying and concerts/big crowds are a surefire trigger. So, are you getting treatment for this? What has Dr. prescribed for you? Personally, I've had pretty good luck with anti-anxiety meds like Valium, Ativan, etc...
XOXO

My medicine helps me to stay a healthy and happy Gin. Now I only occasionally have small panic attacks.

Oh sure all the time. It's a lot less scary once you know what's happening to you. I have to pay extra attention to surroundings and plan in advance, that helps a lot. For me, things like flying and concerts/big crowds are a surefire trigger. So, are you getting treatment for this? What has Dr. prescribed for you? Personally, I've had pretty good luck with anti-anxiety meds like Valium, Ativan, etc...
XOXO

I was on Xanax for panic attacks for a bit a few years ago when I was getting them frequently. I've since learned to deal with them for the most part. They only happen occasionally, and since I know what's happening I don't freak out like I used to. Never pleasant, but manageable.

Ok, then, so you're okay, right? I'm...sorry, such a dumbass worrywart about everyone, it's my worst fault. Xanax is also an antidepressant, were you fighting depression as well at the time? I swear to God I should have finished medical school. I hate that doctors so easily prescribe pills and don't completely inform patients or take the time to get to know their needs.
XOXO

I was on Xanax for panic attacks for a bit a few years ago when I was getting them frequently. I've since learned to deal with them for the most part. They only happen occasionally, and since I know what's happening I don't freak out like I used to. Never pleasant, but manageable.

Ok, then, so you're okay, right? I'm...sorry, such a dumbass worrywart about everyone, it's my worst fault. Xanax is also an antidepressant, were you fighting depression as well at the time? I swear to God I should have finished medical school. I hate that doctors so easily prescribe pills and don't completely inform patients or take the time to get to know their needs.
XOXO

Oh Steph, there's no need to apologize. I really appreciate that you were concerned. :twohugs: I have battled depression for a good portion of my life, but like the panic attacks, I live with it. In fact, I rarely even think about it anymore. It's just part of who I am and I've learned to be happy in spite of it.

Whew! Ok then good, I won't worry babe. I suffer too BTW, but don't tell anyone~I like to think I got 'em all fooled with this Miss Together routine of mine...;)
XOXO

Oh Steph, there's no need to apologize. I really appreciate that you were concerned. :twohugs: I have battled depression for a good portion of my life, but like the panic attacks, I live with it. In fact, I rarely even think about it anymore. It's just part of who I am and I've learned to be happy in spite of it.

What's New

5/4/2024
The Final vote for the 2023 Golden Feather Awards is open! Visit the GFA fouem and cast your ballot!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** LadyInternet ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back