• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

GMAT Anyone?

Strider

2nd Level Blue Feather
Hey All,

I'm curious if anyone here's taken the GMAT, as I'm currently in the process of prepping for the test (taking it early December) as I'm planning on entering a fully employed MBA program next fall.

I have some questions on the best method for prepping, so if anyone's actually taken the test, let me know.

Thanks!

I haven't taken that particular test, but I've taken the GRE. You should get ahold of study guides with practice tests, and work out problem after problem after problem in each section, and I think it would also help for you to do some challenging reading.

Or, is there a Princeton Review or anything like it near you?

I'll be interested in seeing what thoughts and questions you have as you proceed with the studying.

Good luck.

I never took GMAT or any of those tests; I was too cheap and too scared. Not all the colleges in my area need GMAT to enter the MBA program so I did the coward's thing and went to one of them. If I had it to do over again, I would've gone somewhere else; not because I didn't do well, but too many politics and changes for 26 months of my life was horrific!

Try going to your local library; in all of this technical cyberspace nightmare, sometimes going old school is the better thing to do. If not, google it baby to see what's available in studying materials.

And good luck and godspeed....you WILL need it!!

Oh, and one last thing:

Are you getting a standard MBA or are you choosing a specialization? If you're doing this for work, it might be better if you choose a specialization? If you don't already have a job lined up, it may be better for you to consider a specialization because a standard MBA are a dime a dozen in today's workplace. Trust me, I know this from experience the hard way....:banghead:

Great thread! I'll be starting an MBA likely in the fall of next year. I've gotten one book but been far too busy with training/work to even look at. I'll reference this thread when I take it, likely in the next few months. Check out amazon and look at the reviews...I think I bought GMAT in 30 days...or something like that.

I haven't taken that particular test, but I've taken the GRE. You should get ahold of study guides with practice tests, and work out problem after problem after problem in each section, and I think it would also help for you to do some challenging reading.

Or, is there a Princeton Review or anything like it near you?

I'll be interested in seeing what thoughts and questions you have as you proceed with the studying.

I'm actually taking a four week course in November at Cal State Long Beach (they charge about a third of what Kaplan does).

I've been prepping on my own for the past month or so at this point (working my way through the most comprehensive book Kaplan publishes, as well as a couple of workbooks on both Quantitative and Verbal). With the plan I've mapped out I'll probably have logged close to 150 hours of prep time by test day.

I'm not overly concerned about the verbal; I've regularly been scoring above 90% correct on every set of practice problems I've done across the various categories. Quantitative is more of a concern. I was never a great math student (aside from statistics), and while there isn't anything beyond 9th grade algebra and geometry on the test, this is still stuff that I haven't done in around 15 years and there's a pretty broad range of areas the test covers, so having to familiarize myself with all of it is a bit daunting. The test also (naturally) doesn't present the questions in the most straightforward way, so it's really a pain in the ass to learn to spot the patterns that tip off what they're actually asking for.

If I have any major concern right now; it's mainly to wonder if I'm just pushing myself too hard when I'm not taking the test until December and I'll also be going through close to 24 hours of classroom instruction to supplement what I'm doing on my own. I have a general outline of how I'm planning to structure my studies week to week, but I kind of wonder if I'm just trying to take on too punishing of a pace with this and whether or not that will end up affecting how well I ultimately assimilate the subject matter.

kis123 said:
Are you getting a standard MBA or are you choosing a specialization? If you're doing this for work, it might be better if you choose a specialization? If you don't already have a job lined up, it may be better for you to consider a specialization because a standard MBA are a dime a dozen in today's workplace. Trust me, I know this from experience the hard way.

All the programs I'm looking at offer field concentrations, though I haven't given extensive thought as of yet to what I'd want to focus on.

The primary reason I'm doing this is for my current job; my role's been developing in a certain way and I'm wanting to augment it. If a great opportunity came up, of course I'd consider it, but I like my job, I like the company itself, and they take reasonably good care of me compensation-wise. So, I'm not really looking to switch right now; I'm more interested in adding value to the company I'm currently with.

Mr Strider,

This is a very complete guide to the GMAT: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1118109791/131978-20

I wish I had access to this type of guide, or something similar when I was in post-grad school.

A few words of advice, if I may:

Don't over-study, or you'll miss the important things.
Look at the big picture and relax.
Being relaxed will allow you to absorb and digest the material.
Anxiety will only serve as a distraction.
When you're confident and relaxed, you will achieve, and perform to your maximum capacity.

Easier said than done, I realize.

There is no substitute for hard work, but hard work is wasted if it's not done efficiently.

Best of luck to you, sir.

Just an update; I sat the test the other week and scored a 630. I was shooting for a 650, but my minimal threshold that I'd be happy with was to break 600. Sure as hell happy that's over.

Awesome bro! I'm starting to look at schools now. As of now....I'm going with Oklahoma State. We'll see of that changes. How long did it take to finish the exam?

Awesome bro! I'm starting to look at schools now. As of now....I'm going with Oklahoma State. We'll see of that changes. How long did it take to finish the exam?

Roughly 3.5 hours.

Are you thinking of going full-time; or are you doing fully employed?

I'm fully employed. Oklahoma state is the best choice in regards to cost(a few grand out of pocket for military), online, and still an ok school(people know the school). I'm holding off on applying though till I get my GMAT back. If I can score pretty high(I'm strong quant, mediocre verbal) I might hold off till I could find a better school. Ok state has a 99.9% acceptance rate. Lol.

How much did your prep class help? Did you get a baseline score first to see how much you've improved? Congrats again on the 630, that's a great score. I hear that it's common for people to score 20-30 points lower than what they got in practice tests.

What's New

5/11/2024
The TMF Art and Story Archives collect some of our communities best creators work in one place!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back